MSI to Use Killer Network Adapters in Laptops, Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]It means the Network Adapter is sophisticated enough to easily allow the user to determine network traffic priority. Still I like what MSI does.[/citation]

No no I am quite certain that it injects network packets directly into the human brain to kill them.
(in other news have you seen there commercials? They are hilarious. I require this to be linked in the article, its too good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhm8QcAMdSc

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
basically pointless chip. With a software, all the functionality of this chip can be done on the CPU itself, using barely 1-2% load. I wouldnt want this chip to suck uo=p battery.

Still as a marketing gimmick, this is great.

I seem to recall an article some time back in which they were shown to make a statistically significant, but very small difference. My take was that if it adds more than a couple dollars to the price, it isn't worth it. I suspect an application like cFosSpeed can do at least as much; a version of this utility is bundled with many Asus and ASRock boards.
I'd prefer MSI to work on quality. They need to improve their VRMs and/or cool them better, especially on lower-end boards.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I few years back I bought a Killer M1 PCI for around $20 bucks. At the time they were still going for around $200 new. The card worked great and I used it for about a year and tested it in every way I could imagine to see if it increased FPS in games, or if it decreased CPU load. It is no faster than the basic $10 generic nic with a broadcom chip.
It was infact a good bit slower when doing transfers of large amounts of files. For example when I backed up my computer, I only backed up my important files and docs, so maybe 10-20 gigs but it was 1000s of files. That took for ever, twice as long as the onboard nic or the cheap pci nic.

mcoutu

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I have a MSI GE60 / W8 with the E2200 in it. Have this laptop for a month and a half now. Works fine so far. is it faster than another NIC ? Can't say, I don't do benchmark for NICs.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]id prefer a intel nic over this. better drivers[/citation]
This: I wish more mobo manufacturers would include bona fide Intel networking chipsets...

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]No no I am quite certain that it injects network packets directly into the human brain to kill them.(in other news have you seen there commercials? They are hilarious. I require this to be linked in the article, its too good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhm8QcAMdSc[/citation]
Drop me a message when you come across an ad for the E2200 and I might even write a piece on it ;)

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Marketing gimmick, nothing more. I'd like to see how much extra the boards will cost now due to the inclusion of this "premium feature."

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You might end up gaining a ms or soo as well as a miniscule offload in cpu power, benefits... sure but their so darn small its only synthetic tests that can tell the difference as long as one app is working towards the internet. Placing 2 computers side by side and blind testing and peeps wont be able to tell the difference.

Killer WiFi adapters have proven (by Tom's, no less) to be much less of a marketing gimmick than the Ethernet Killer networking interfaces. Still, so long as these don't suck up much more power than regular NICs and don't increase costs, they shouldn't be a bad thing to have, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.