Question MSI Tomahawk Z170A broken? I'm trying everything...

Jul 24, 2024
Hello, I can not get my system to boot and have tried a lot of different stuff that I already read up on online.

I tried it with these components first:

- MSI Tomahawk Z170A (bought used)
- i7 6700@3.40 GHz CPU (confirmed works in another System)
- 2x 16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance Lpx DDR4
- Thermalright Assassin X 120 SE Cpu Cooler
- Nvidia GeForce Gtx 1650 Super (my old GPU, may upgrade soon)
- and a 1TB Kingston SSD
- EVGA 650 BQ, (650W) PSU

With these components the system wont even turn on - not even any Led indicators.
To rule out faulty items I took out the GPU and tried again - same result.
Did the same with the SSD and the RAM Sticks (also plugged them into different slots) - no change.
I took out the BIOS Battery for a few hours and put it back - no change.
I since now have the board lying on a wooden table, using a screw driver on the PWR+ and PWR- pins to turn it on.

Then I tried with a different PSU (NOX Urano VX Bronze Edition, 750W) - now the System actually does turn on for half a second (Sys Fans spinning) and the red "CPU" Led is lighting up but turns off again and restarts only to do the same over and over.

I finally took out the Cpu (kept the Cpu Power and the 24 Pin ATX Power plugged in).
Now the motherboard does run but with the red CPU Led on permanently.

Then I tried to update the BIOS by downloading the latest version "AMI BIOS 7970v1E", unpacking the file onto a USB drive and renaming it "MSI.ROM".
The board does have a small button on its backside but it is not labeled "Bios update" like I saw in some Video guides. So whenever I plug the USB Drive in a port of the motherboard (I tried all ports) and press the small button all that happens is that a blue LED at the bottom of the board lights up as long as I hold it down. Plugged in Sys Fan is not even spinning if plugged in.
Also if I start the system (still without the Cpu) and then press the button on the back, it just turns off - so Im starting to doubt that this is actually the "update BIOS" button.

Sorry for this long and confusing description. I really hope that someone can help me. Or do I simply have a broken Mobo? I cant return it since I bought it used from an online marketplace.
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator: