News MSI Unveils MEG B550 Unify Series With Quad M.2 and Extreme Overclocking

jpe1701

Honorable
The m.2 arrangement is a little hard to understand as written. You say that the 4 m.2 are pcie 4.0 ready but are 3.0 with a gpu. How do you run a Ryzen CPU without a gpu? Also while I'm on the topic the b550 Aorus master is listed and explained wrong in the best motherboards article too. The m.2 slots on that are pcie 4.0 too because they take 8 cpu lanes from the primary x16 slot and split it into 2 x4 connections for the lower 2 m.2.

Reactions: danger89
Oct 27, 2020
So there are Ryzen CPUs with APU's (like Ryzen 2400G with Vega 11 graphics or the upcoming Ryzen 4000 noir APU series).

My question would be (I want to use it for a server setup), can I use a non-APU CPU with a very simple GPU in lowest PCI lane, so the GPU is just for boot. And still giving me 4x M2 Gen 4 PCI? That would be awesome for my use-case! Anybody?

jpe1701

Honorable
So there are Ryzen CPUs with APU's (like Ryzen 2400G with Vega 11 graphics or the upcoming Ryzen 4000 noir APU series).

My question would be (I want to use it for a server setup), can I use a non-APU CPU with a very simple GPU in lowest PCI lane, so the GPU is just for boot. And still giving me 4x M2 Gen 4 PCI? That would be awesome for my use-case! Anybody?
B550 doesn't support the 3400g and the renoir apu's don't support pcie 4.0. also the apu's only support a x8 link to the gpu as far as I know. The earlier ones only had a x2 pcie lanes for the m.2 as well but I'm not sure if they changed that or not.