Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Would like some comments on two GPU choices:

Sapphire Radeon Nitro RX590 8 GB DDR5

vs.

MSI Radeon RX 570 Direct x 8 GB DDR5

My thoughts:

Nitro has pretty lights :)
I owned an HD6670 Sapphire back in the day and it was reliable, so I feel good about going back to that brand. But it's got the usual 80 or 85% satisfaction rate from users (adding 4 and 5 ratings togrether and comparing to 1 and 2 ratings added together).

This particular MSI Radeon has 86 ratings at Newegg and five stars, that is significant. It is in fact one of the best ratings I've seen on a gpu that wasn't just three or four users.

The winning gpu will end up on an ASUS x470 Pro mobo with a Ryzen 5 2600X cpu and 32 gigs of G.Skill Ram.

I should explain that this is already built. I'm using it as I write. It has an R9-380 card in it from my previous build. The card that I hard ordered was an ASUS Radeon RX 580 O4G Dual-fan OC Edition GDDR5. It crashed during 3dmark tests. My only comment on that is that the R9-380 is doing a better job running on the ASUS RX580's drivers than the ASUS RX 580 did. :( The R9-380 does NOT crash during 3dmark tests. (the rx580 turns the whole screen green) This is Win 10 installed on M.2 on the board.

Newegg is refunding the $ on the ASUS RX580 because they have no more in stock. So the good news is that this is my chance to get an 8 gb card instead of the 4 gb on the original.

But I would prefer to have had the original install work so I could move on to other things.

My head says go with the choice that is making the most people happy but I must admit I'm liking the lights on my RAM and mobo more than I thought I would. They work very nicely with the screen saver. :) But it is huge aggro not to have a new card work as you all know.

FWIW I prefer to stick with AMD chipset options.

Thanks,
Greg N

Solution
That hub article explains no merits of each brand, and it does vary card to card.
That being said, I have never been disappointed by any sapphire card I owned, and I am always impressed with their offerings.

Sapphire is my first, and last recommendation for AMD cards, especially when considering a 590 vs 570.
The Sapphire Nitro RX590 8GB is the better card.

Currently, I own a Sapphire Nitro+ 480 8GB with a 580 pulse VBIOS on it. It whines a bit, but this is likely just because of the 580 VBIOS. Otherwise, the card runs cool with fresh paste and looks great. The RGB logo and solid metal backplate are pretty cool as well.

Nitro coolers are amazing and sapphire cards are about the best for AMD.

AMD drivers do get better over time.

Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Not sure if that a typo or not, but if your budget and power supply can handle the RX590, why is the RX570 even being considered?

-Wolf sends

Because the MSI has a near perfect satisfaction rating from a large number of people. The Nitro RX590 does not. We're only talking about $25 difference in price on Newegg.

I do lean towards a brand that has a rep as AMD friendly. I was really surprised that the ASUS/Radeon did not work out I would assume that an ASUS card on an ASUS mobo would be a solid combo. And maybe it is for some people.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well OK I want to put the order in so I can get this thing on its way to me so I guess I'm going with Nitro.

As I said, my personal experience with Sapphire was very good, but this guy's review at graphic's card hub says good things about Sapphire but gives the top four brand ratings to ASUS, MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte in his last paragraph down at the bottom. thank you, Greg N

https://graphicscardhub.com/graphics-card-manufacturers-brands/

That hub article explains no merits of each brand, and it does vary card to card.
That being said, I have never been disappointed by any sapphire card I owned, and I am always impressed with their offerings.

Sapphire is my first, and last recommendation for AMD cards, especially when considering a 590 vs 570.

Reactions: gn842a
Solution

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

Well it's a done deal, the Sapphire is on its way. thanks for the views of everyone here.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I will comment on this thread that I had immense issues with the Nitro RX 590 and have been all ready to send it back. Then someone who watched my video of the crashing said: "If you weren't using an 850 watt psu, I'd say you didn't have enough power." Well I went to Corsair web site, checked my build's power consumption, and then looked at several articles on the regarding the Nitro 590's power consumption. THIS THING IS A MONSTER. I had nothing but problems downstairs on my 850 watt psu I took it upstairs where I have a simpler build and a 1050 watt psu and the Nitro purred like a kitten. No crashes at all.

I can't believe what a headache this has been. Plus, you know, resistance increases with temperature. So you run a tough benchmark and heat up the system and you have a power hungry gpu, you're going to need to give it the power that it wants.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Odd. My 580 which has voltage and power limits maxed out works fine on a mediocre 550w.

The 580 pulls a nice 200+ watts and gets pretty hot (but not unsafe) in furmark according to hw monitor. Furmark is literally torture to a GPU.

You are correct, and I have posted corrections where needed, but apparently I have not caught all of them.

It is true that the RX 590 does very well upstairs where there is a 1050W psu.

But I installed just two days ago a Seasonic 1300 W in my downstairs build, and I was pretty confident it would solve the problem.

But no, it didn't (but I now have a brand new humongo 1300 W Seasonic and my son is delighted, because he will get the 850W).

So it was back to square one. My girlfriend suggested that the crucial issue between upstairs and downstairs was not the psu, not the OS, not the mobo, but the fact that upstairs there is ONE monitor very close to the PC, whereas downstairs I have TWO monitors one of which is very far from the PC.

That led to a series of tests which indicated she might be right.

I posted about it, I'll find the link and put it here.

Greg N

TRENDING THREADS