Question MSI x470 Gaming Pro - VGA EZ Debug Issue

Aug 20, 2020
Hello! Hoping this is the right place to ask for help because I've exhaused my own troubleshooting ability and could do with a hand!

First, specs:
  • MSI x470 Gaming Pro
  • Ryzen 5 2600X
  • Nvidia RTX 2070
  • Corsair 8GB DDR4 RAM (unsure of exact model)
  • Corsair 850W Semi-Modular PSU
All of this was bought and assembled June 2018. A couple months ago, it started to have an issue where the PC would start to a black screen, hang there for 3 - 5 minutes, then reboot perfectly fine and be usable. This wouldn't happen all the time - About 30% of the time it'd boot great first time. I noticed that when it failed to boot and held at the black screen, the VGA error light would be on on the motherboard - This'd go away when it restarted and booted into the BIOS.

A few days ago, the GPU (GTX 1060) suddenly stopped working whilst the PC was turned on. The PC carried on working, and could be turned on fine, it just wouldn't output anything to the screens and the fans had stopped turning on. When booted, the VGA light would always be on. Replacing the GPU solved that issue, but it didn't stop the issue of booting to a black screen then restarting after a couple of minutes.

Since then I've updated both the chipset and the motherboard, which seems to have done more harm than good - Now, rather than restarting, it just stays in the black screen with the VGA error light on. I can get it load, but to do so I have to turn the PC off at the mains then restart it, which seems to get it to load fine.

It's worth noting that this new issue only seems to happen when the PC is cold booted after being off for some time (30m-ish, from my testing). If I restart the PC, it'll boot fine. If I shut it down and immediately turn it back on, it'll work fine. If I turn it off and leave it 30m+, it'll boot to a black screen and I'll have to shut off the power and restart it manually to get to the BIOS.

I'm at the extend of my own understanding, so hopefully somebody here is able to shed some light on what's going wrong and what (if anything) I can do or replace to solve this! I'm keen to stop having to kill power at the mains, because I get the feeling I'm doing more harm that way. I'm also concerned that whatever is happening with the motherboard is what caused the old graphics card to die.

I'm running Windows 10 May 2020 Update, so if there's any software I can run to check things and post screenshots then let me know and I'll do that asap :)

Thanks in advance!

Aug 20, 2020
What BIOS revision are you running?

Version 7B79v1F.

I've attached a couple of screenshots from HWMonitor, too:

p.png

p.png

It won't let me upload this last one, but here's the HWMonitor screenshot from the mobo: p.png

TRENDING THREADS