[SOLVED] MSI x570 Creation Board is showing CPU Fail Light on brand new build

Jul 30, 2021
I just built a new computer for the first time in about 12 years, and the board is apparently not detecting the CPU. I get no display, everything lights up, fans start, but there's a CPU Fail LED light on the board that just keeps going off. I've tried removing everything but a RAM stick and the CPU, and still no joy. Starting to worry the new CPU is DOA.

Anyone got a clue as to what could be going on? No bent pins or anything, I've removed the CPU twice now to check, it's getting worrying. The only error code I get is 0d which apparently means "we've reserved this one for future use". It's been a long time since I last built a computer, so I'm allowing for I've just forgotten something important, but as far as I can tell, all the connectors and everything are in place, PSU is working fine... I'm at my wits end.

Update:
I've now tried taking it out of the case to see if it was the standoffs- put it on a static bag on a cardboard box and started it up. Nada. Still CPU FAIL LED going. Frustrating!

Specs:
MSI®PRESTIGE X570 CREATION board
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Vermeer 16-Core 3.4 GHz Socket AM4 105W 100-100000059WOF Desktop Processor
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600
SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 2TB
CORSAIR RMx Series RM1000X 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD
Noctua NH-U14S
an Nvidia 980 Ti that works fine from my old computer (new cards are damn expensive right now)
and a LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL case

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah but to update the bios I actually have to be able to get to the bios. Haven't achieved that yet. No display.
Most of their board's ( MSI AMD) have a BIOS flash button to update the BIOS without even having a CPU but I don't see it on that board. Double check the manual it could be on the board itself instead of the usual back I/O

EDIT nice built BTY hope you get it running..
About any PC shop should have a CPU to update with even Micro Center and might even try the geek squad/ Best Buy. Borrow a friends if you can.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah but to update the bios I actually have to be able to get to the bios. Haven't achieved that yet. No display.
Most of their board's ( MSI AMD) have a BIOS flash button to update the BIOS without even having a CPU but I don't see it on that board. Double check the manual it could be on the board itself instead of the usual back I/O

EDIT nice built BTY hope you get it running..
About any PC shop should have a CPU to update with even Micro Center and might even try the geek squad/ Best Buy. Borrow a friends if you can.

Last edited:
Solution