[SOLVED] MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Edge WiFi does not see NVMe SSD after BIOS update ?

Jan 9, 2022
Hi,

i just updated the BIOS on my MSI MPG Z490 Gaming edge wifi that was working with windows before on an nvme drive (but had issues starting up), so I was recommended to update the BIOS. Upon doing so, it brings me to the windows recovery page on boot up and I can’t continue to windows and trying to have the installer fix it also didn’t work. The NVME drive pops up in CMD on the recovery page using diskpart —> list disk, but in the bios boot priority, does not show up at all. Instead, windows boot manager on my ADATA SU750 SATA SSD shows up despite that drive not having windows installed anymore and only having steam games installed on it. The BIOS version I used to update it to is the most recent one.

Specs:
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge wifi
i9-11900k
3080 Ti
64gb of 3200mhz RAM,
1tb NVME, 1tb PCIE NVME, 1tb SATA SSD, and a 4TB HDD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Fixed! I disconnected all other drives and windows posted. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
Well, that's a workaround rather then fix ... when you connect them back it will refuse to start again. One of your other drives still has boot partition on it which for some reason makes BIOS stupid.
Jan 9, 2022
Did you reset CMOS after BIOS update?
BIOS settings can get messed after update, and wrong settings can be the cause of such problem.
I did not because I believe the cmos battery is under the GPU, are there any pins on it that I can short to reset it instead? Or do it directly through the BIOS? If not I can just take the GPU out.

Jan 9, 2022
Hi,

i just updated the BIOS on my MSI MPG Z490 Gaming edge wifi that was working with windows before on an nvme drive (but had issues starting up), so I was recommended to update the BIOS. Upon doing so, it brings me to the windows recovery page on boot up and I can’t continue to windows and trying to have the installer fix it also didn’t work. The NVME drive pops up in CMD on the recovery page using diskpart —> list disk, but in the bios boot priority, does not show up at all. Instead, windows boot manager on my ADATA SU750 SATA SSD shows up despite that drive not having windows installed anymore and only having steam games installed on it. The BIOS version I used to update it to is the most recent one.

Specs:
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge wifi
i9-11900k
3080 Ti
64gb of 3200mhz RAM,
1tb NVME, 1tb PCIE NVME, 1tb SATA SSD, and a 4TB HDD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Fixed! I disconnected all other drives and windows posted. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Reactions: DRagor
Jan 9, 2022
Well, that's a workaround rather then fix ... when you connect them back it will refuse to start again. One of your other drives still has boot partition on it which for some reason makes BIOS stupid.
I connected them back and it’s still working surprisingly, I found the drive that has a boot partition on it and I am deleting it, thanks for your help once again

Reactions: rgd1101 and DRagor

TRENDING THREADS