News MSI's classic MPower overclocking motherboard series returns, with support for super-fast DDR5-8000+ RAM — Z790 board priced at $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
First off, the socket LGA1151 was NOT the first time MSI used MPower naming. LGA1150 for the Z87, and the LGA2011-V3 for the X99 came with MPower versions.
As for your talk about "overclocking" motherboard, all Z790 (and all Z series chipsets) are overclocking chipsets/motherboards. And many from MSI come with dual 8pin CPU power connectors. So I don't understand the focus of this one being called an "overclocking" motherboard with such focus.

Seems like this will be a decent budget motherboard and I believe MSI's first MATX Z790 board. This definitely isn't what I'd consider an overclocking board in terms of the 2 DIMM UNIFY boards. I would really like to see some 2 DIMM boards in the $300-500 price range, but that doesn't seem likely.

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
When you're forced to run DDR5 at slow JEDEC speeds when using 4 slots, why don't they build more 2 memory socket motherboards in this price range? mATX cripples this board for me. 2 M.2 slots is too few.

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
When you're forced to run DDR5 at slow JEDEC speeds when using 4 slots, why don't they build more 2 memory socket motherboards in this price range? mATX cripples this board for me. 2 M.2 slots is too few.

I don't understand why 2 M2 slots would be a limiting factor for somebody. That gives you a total of 8TB local storage. These boards are gaming boards, and not workstation boards.
If you need more a NAS is the answer, or a workstation board if you need to do "serious" work.

Status
Not open for further replies.