MSI's Radeon R9 290X TwinFrozr 4S OC Pictured

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wake me up when these things cost what they were advertised to cost. Was so excited to get an aftermarket 290 once I saw the performance for the price despite the horrible blower. AMD better get its shit in gear soon or green team is getting my money (have had a new PC waiting on new GPU since October). I've been a diehard AMD supporter for years, but this BS bait and switch with the price is garbage.

I get it, they want to gouge the litecoin miners or whatever, more power to them. But we better see some inventory shortly after so that the people who wanted to use these cards for their intended purpose (GAMING) can actually afford them.

Yeah, I'm bitter.

west7

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
reference amd r9-290x cost 900$ in my country
about this msi card i excited to how the twin frowzer cooling will effect the performance

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
AMD sets a retail price, and if vendors choose to sell it for more or less, that's up to them.

Prices are high now because of low availability (caused by litecoin miners). Once supply catches up to demand, prices will normalize. I want a 290 or 290X too (which I'll purchase with LTC profits), but I just have to wait.

3ogdy

Distinguished
$775?!

What a joke. Gonna sell like hot-cakes - NOT.
Price it to 775$ and see how many you'll sell. Even some AMD fans might either switch to nVidia or buy the chip from another manufacturer, Micro Star International.
Sapphire / ASUS cards will also be available, so you can keep your cards, MSI...even though the TwinFrozr is one of the best aftermarket coolers out there...the DirectCU II is awesome.

($775 dollars...hahahahaha)

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
What's the point of a good price to performance ratio when it is scarcely available and vendors overpriced them? That's the same as nVidia releasing their product 6-8 months ahead and set the price high. I am seeing these cards going for as high as a Geforce 780 TI, and those are reference with loud ass fans. At this rate, nVidia would have an answer in Q1 before the r9 becomes available at the "MSRP". This is just ridiculous.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
What's the point of a good price to performance ratio when it is scarcely available and vendors overpriced them? That's the same as nVidia releasing their product 6-8 months ahead and set the price high. I am seeing these cards going for as high as a Geforce 780 TI, and those are reference with loud ass fans. At this rate, nVidia would have an answer in Q1 before the r9 becomes available at the "MSRP". This is just ridiculous.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Yeah, don't use the hands as a benchmark, use the boobs instead :-D
From what I can tell this card should be about the size of a double D cup bra :-D

G

You guys need to be aware that this isn't just price conversion issues. Currently, there is a ~$100 USD price markup on every R9 card above the 270X. 280Xs are $400 (the MSRP of the 290), 290s are $500, and 290Xs are around $600. And this is for reference models, which makes the $700 price tags on aftermarket 290Xs sound not so farfetched.

MSI is the first to get the logo in the right direction on the backplate. That's something. I also bet this will be a tight fit for any case with a side panel fan. If your case's exhaust fan is (god forbid) 80mm, or even 120mm, take some measurements.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
so am i the only one that's happy for AMD's recent successes due to litecoin mining? They're selling a boatload of cards way above MSRP. good for them.

maybe im just happy because i sold my 7970 for twice of what i purchased for it. ill be switching to the green team if they dont stock up, but im sure they wont mind

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Never seen an OC'd graphics card worth the premium price. Also I like the 290X speed but it is one serious power hog. Im sure I would see a difference in my utility bill...lol.

hahaha instant spike in usage from the day you install it lol. The 780ti is simply a better buy at that price point. Its faster cheaper in some cases or the same price sure it may only have 3gb vs 4gb but oh well. Reliability vs instability.....enough said......That being said i am kinda thinking about a 280x or 290 maybe but then again i wanna wait for the next series from nvidia.

Broc Kelley

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Unless you can find one for $600 after tax you'll be better off getting the r9 290 at $450.. You can NOT justify a $150 premium with a difference of only 3-6 frames per second between the two.

And let's be honest, the only reason to get a 290 in the first place is to get two of them down the road; the 290 card is for high resolution gaming, above 4 million pixels.. that's why it's 4gb, and that's why it makes more sense to save the $300 by getting the 290s so you can put that towards to new Mobo/RAM solutions we'll be getting next year (ddr4)

Broc Kelley

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

Precisely why we shouldn't be as excited about these aftermarket coolers. If we can wait until the Maxwell cards come out in late Q1, we'll save probably hundreds than if we purchase the r9's right before or after christmas. But give us a non reference 290 at $450, or a 290x at $599.99 and they'll see plenty of stock move..

Status
Not open for further replies.