[SOLVED] Multi CPU Socket Motherboard for ryzen 5 3600x

Sep 8, 2021
Good evening folks,

I'm going to be pretty straight forward, I want to mine crypto. Monero to be exact. I have a good plan to take care of the electricity cost. Since monero is mined mainly with CPU it probably makes sense to buy motherboards that have multiple CPU sockets. For the CPU I want to either use the ryzen 5 3600x or a threadripper 1950x. Would it make sense to use motherboards with multiple sockets/do you know where I can find any multi cpu socket motherboards that support those specific sockets? (preferably the 3600x due to it's low wattage and similiar hashrates)

Kind regards and thanks in advance.

Solution
Thanks for the response, are there any that would support multiple threadrippers? Having to setup a whole machine for each mining rig (buy a motherboard, ram, harddrive etc) sounds kinda ineffective tbh, is there really no way around setting up multiple platforms/buying high end CPUs?

Edit: Are there any websites on which you can specifically check for motherboards with certain requirements (socket, cpu socket count etc) that would probably make my life a lot easier.
Threadripper is a single socket CPU. Or rather in general, multi-socket motherboards are not offered on consumer platforms. They haven't been for the past 14 or so years. The only platforms with multiple sockets are server ones and those get expensive. Not to...
Sep 8, 2021
Ryzen/Threadripper platforms don't have multi-sockets. You're going to have to look at EPYC platforms. And if you're going that far, you're better off just buying multiple Ryzen platforms.
Thanks for the response, are there any that would support multiple threadrippers? Having to setup a whole machine for each mining rig (buy a motherboard, ram, harddrive etc) sounds kinda ineffective tbh, is there really no way around setting up multiple platforms/buying high end CPUs?

Edit: Are there any websites on which you can specifically check for motherboards with certain requirements (socket, cpu socket count etc) that would probably make my life a lot easier.

Threadripper is a single socket CPU. Or rather in general, multi-socket motherboards are not offered on consumer platforms. They haven't been for the past 14 or so years. The only platforms with multiple sockets are server ones and those get expensive. Not to mention you also need a specific CPU that supports multi-socket.

If you want to poke around you can look at PCPartPicker.com. Or if you just want all boards they have listed with dual sockets: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=20031,20016,20021,20028,20029

Solution
Sep 8, 2021
Thank ya'll for the replies, so just to get this straight, people mining monero (or any other crypto that requires CPU) actually have one platform for each CPU? Wow. However, I definitely am looking for a server motherboard and the links you both provided are pretty useful so thanks for that. I have a pretty decent budged and I'm going to keep looking around the internet to find out which way I can get the most out of it.

Greatly appreciate all the answers ;)

Thank ya'll for the replies, so just to get this straight, people mining monero (or any other crypto that requires CPU) actually have one platform for each CPU? Wow. However, I definitely am looking for a server motherboard and the links you both provided are pretty useful so thanks for that. I have a pretty decent budged and I'm going to keep looking around the internet to find out which way I can get the most out of it.

Greatly appreciate all the answers ;)
If you're trying to make an investment out of it, then getting the most bang for your buck is obviously ideal here.

You're never going to get that with server parts. Well, unless they're sold for a reasonable price on the used market but they may not be sufficient enough performance wise for what you want.

Sep 8, 2021
If you're trying to make an investment out of it, then getting the most bang for your buck is obviously ideal here.

You're never going to get that with server parts. Well, unless they're sold for a reasonable price on the used market but they may not be sufficient enough performance wise for what you want.
Yep. So, I still have a little bit of decent but unused hardware (most likely CPUs and RAM) that I'm going to use to setup a few mining rigs and also have some money to invest. I'm pretty much gonna go with multiple single CPU platforms and gather some more information about how I get the best price-performance ratio at appropriate wattage for the CPUs I'm going to buy.