I used to have a program that allowed me to mark/highlight more than
one item at a time. What is it?

Thank you.

Barry Karas

Barry Karas wrote:
> I used to have a program that allowed me to mark/highlight more than
> one item at a time. What is it?

I am not you nor do I know what you are talking about..

Mark/highlight more than what type of item at a time?

On a printout? You have two hands - get two highlighters..
(Seriously - we need more information on what you are trying to
mark/highlight..)

Usually holding down SHIFT or CTRL while highlighting - depending on if the
items you want to mark are sequential or not..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Sorry I wasn't clear.

In a message, if I want to erase some texct I mark it (by moving my
mouse oner the text I want to remove while depressiong the left
button) and then prfess the Delete key. If I wanted to delete more
than one text section (and the sections are not contiguous) I would
mark all text sections amnd then press the Delete key.

How would I mark more than omne text section?

Thank you,

Barry Karas

Barry Karas wrote:
> Sorry I wasn't clear.
>
> In a message, if I want to erase some texct I mark it (by moving my
> mouse oner the text I want to remove while depressiong the left
> button) and then prfess the Delete key. If I wanted to delete more
> than one text section (and the sections are not contiguous) I would
> mark all text sections amnd then press the Delete key.
>
> How would I mark more than omne text section?

Still left out vital information... What application in particular? Far as
I know - you are using AmiPro for your word processing. heh

Repeating what I said before....

Usually holding down SHIFT or CTRL while highlighting - depending on if the
items you want to mark are sequential or not..
(CTRL is non-sequential)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

I am cross-posting the entire conversation in the original newsgroup and in
two other newsgroups:

microsoft.public.office.misc
and
microsoft.public.word.newusers

In hopes someone can answer the question,
"How does one select items that aren't next to each other in a Microsoft
Word 2003 document"

Barry Karas wrote:
> You're stuck in ancient history: Since I get a personal computer every
> three
> or four years - like most people - and reasonably current word-processing
> programs are already on them. I use MS Word 2003. It works pretty well for
> me and I do not want to change it (too much).

I was not "stuck" anywhere - you were leaving out information.

If I *assumed* what you were using - that would be an incorrect action -
especially since I do not know you and you are posting on a world-wide
medium.. I do not know that you get a new computer every three to four
years. Most people do NOT get a new computer every three to four years.
Most people do not even have a computer. Sure - most middle-class or above
people in the United States may have one or more computers - and you may be
that type - but since that would be another assumption I would have to jump
to with no evidence - I did not do it. (And there are many different levels
of middle-class dependent on where one lives - so your assumption about how
I should assume is mistaken - not my fact that you left out some pretty
vital information. *grin*)

I work in this industry - I see what people keep. I know of large
companies/world-class universities/etc that have Windows NT 4.0 servers and
still have some users on Windows 98. If I was to assume anything - it would
be that you are further behind than you actually are - not "up-to-date" -
which you seem to be in this case.

According to the BUILT-IN help of Office 2003..
__________
You can select text and graphics by using the mouse or the keyboard,
including items that aren't next to each other. For example, you can select
a paragraph on page one and a sentence on page three.

Microsoft Word provides additional methods for selecting items in a table,
drawing objects, or text in outline view (outline view: A view that shows
the headings of a document indented to represent their level in the
document's structure. You can also use outline view to work with master
documents.).

Select items that aren't next to each other
1. Select the first item you want, such as a table cell (cell: A box formed
by the intersection of a row and column in a worksheet or a table, in which
you enter information.) or paragraph.
2. Hold down CTRL.
3. Select any additional items you want while continuing to hold CTRL.

** Note -- You can only select multiple objects of the same type, such as
two or more text selections or two or more floating (floating object: A
graphic or other object that is inserted in the drawing layer so that you
can position it precisely on the page or in front of or behind text or other
objects.) graphics, that aren't next to each other.
__________

I found this by typing this while in Word 2003s help:
"select multiple lines of text"
And choosing the help topic with the title "Select Text and Graphics".

HOWEVER - it seems to be WRONG. I, indeed, cannot select multiple parts of
a line or document. I even typed out a 5 line document (This is line one.
{ENTER} This is line two. {ENTER} etc..) and tried it - so that they would
all be the same type *for sure* and tried to highlight the words that
represented numbers in each line only. Nope - not happening.

So now - after trying it on several systems with Office 2003 - I am left
wondering the same thing as you..

How does one select items that aren't next to each other in a Word 2003
document - even given that those items are of the same type and even if you
are/are not in "Outline View"?

A Google search for that lead me to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286789
and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275969
and
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA010565691033.aspx

Which are all for Office XP, but still said the same thing I had found in
the built-in help and support of Office 2003.

Finally, I found this:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HP051896041033.aspx

Which *is* for Word 2003. It *is* the same help I have inside Word 2003.

It doesn't work for me. WTH?!

Anyone?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

jr

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

I dont think you can. Excel yes, Word no!![XP]
John

> [...]
> and
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275969
> and
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA010565691033.aspx
>
> Which are all for Office XP, but still said the same thing I had found in
> the built-in help and support of Office 2003.
>
> Finally, I found this:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HP051896041033.aspx
>
> Which *is* for Word 2003. It *is* the same help I have inside Word 2003.
>
> It doesn't work for me. WTH?!
>
> Anyone?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

So your real question is: "How do I make non-contiguous selections in Word
2003?"

Answer: after making the first selection, hold down the Control key to make
subsequent selections.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:I am cross-posting the entire conversation in the original newsgroup and in
: two other newsgroups:
:
: microsoft.public.office.misc
: and
: Shenan Stanley wrote:
: > I am not you nor do I know what you are talking about..
: >
: > Mark/highlight more than what type of item at a time?
: >
: > On a printout? You have two hands - get two highlighters..
: > (Seriously - we need more information on what you are trying to
: > mark/highlight..)
: >
: > Usually holding down SHIFT or CTRL while highlighting - depending on
: > if the items you want to mark are sequential or not..
:
: Barry Karas wrote:
: > Sorry I wasn't clear.
: >
: Shenan Stanley wrote:
: > Still left out vital information... What application in particular? Far
as
: > I know - you are using AmiPro for your word processing. heh
: >
: > Repeating what I said before....
: >
: > Usually holding down SHIFT or CTRL while highlighting - depending on
: > if the items you want to mark are sequential or not..
: > (CTRL is non-sequential)
:
: __________
[...]
: --
: Shenan Stanley
: MS-MVP
: --
: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
:
:

TF wrote:
> So your real question is: "How do I make non-contiguous selections in
> Word 2003?"
>
> Answer: after making the first selection, hold down the Control key
> to make subsequent selections.

My point is - that doesn't work.
Try it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

It works for me. I think you must be doing something wrong. If I
double-click "one" in the first line, then press Ctrl and double-click "two"
and then "three," I get those three words selected. (I can also drag to
select the words, but in this instance double-clicking is more efficient.)

There are *some* limitations, however. For example, although you can select
noncontiguous table columns, you can't use the Equal Column Width command on
them(unfortunately).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

> TF wrote:
> > So your real question is: "How do I make non-contiguous selections in
> > Word 2003?"
> >
> > Answer: after making the first selection, hold down the Control key
> > to make subsequent selections.
>
> My point is - that doesn't work.
> Try it.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

Suzanne S. Barnhill:
> It works for me. I think you must be doing something wrong. If I
> double-click "one" in the first line, then press Ctrl and double-click
> "two"
> and then "three," I get those three words selected. (I can also drag to
> select the words, but in this instance double-clicking is more efficient.)
>
> There are *some* limitations, however. For example, although you can
> select
> noncontiguous table columns, you can't use the Equal Column Width command
> on
> them(unfortunately).

Something Wrong - sort of. More of an extraneous variable..

Fortunately even when you have done something hundreds of times - there can
always be an extra "variable" you did not expect. To me it should have
worked as well - and I discovered why - in my case - it did not work.
Remember - I was reposting this for someone who seemingly did not accept the
very same answer I had given him that you gave me.. Hundreds (thousands
more likely) of times or not - I decided to diligently try the solution I
originally gave (twice actually) again - low and behold - it was not working
for me.

Interestingly - it has to do with having a game minimized - Dungeon Siege to
be exact. It would interrupt the keystroke (the held down CTRL key) in some
fashion. I had remotely tried it on three other machines and then tried it
on two other machines - those of people who were playing the networked game
with me and ALSO had the game minimized to try it. It also interrupted the
keystroke on theirs. My guess is a timing issue. Something I should have
thought of when I noticed occasionally when posting on these newsgroups with
it like that - I would get a reaction like having my CAPS-LOCK key depressed
after pressing SHIFT for the first letter of a word.

So - if anything interrupts the keystroke - it will naturally fail - but
things that interrupt keystrokes may not be inherently obvious.

Now - if only the OP comes back and determines it works for them as well.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

It does work: I don't need to try it, I've done it hundreds, if not
thousands of times.

What doesn't work when you try it? Are you able to make multiple,
non-contiguous selections OK? If so, do they fail to delete? Have you got
the Typing Replaces Selection option checked?

Terry

TF wrote:
> It does work: I don't need to try it, I've done it hundreds, if not
> thousands of times.

Fortunately even when you have done something hundreds of times - there can
always be an extra "variable" you did not expect. To me it should have
worked as well - and I discovered why - in my case - it did not work.
Remember - I was reposting this for someone who seemingly did not accept the
very same answer I had given him that you gave me.. Hundreds (thousands
more likely) of times or not - I decided to diligently try the solution I
originally gave (twice actually) again - low and behold - it was not working
for me.

Interestingly - it has to do with having a game minimized - Dungeon Siege to
be exact. It would interrupt the keystroke (the held down CTRL key) in some
fashion. I had remotely tried it on three other machines and then tried it
on two other machines - those of people who were playing the networked game
with me and ALSO had the game minimized to try it. It also interrupted the
keystroke on theirs. My guess is a timing issue. Something I should have
thought of when I noticed occasionally when posting on these newsgroups with
it like that - I would get a reaction like having my CAPS-LOCK key depressed
after pressing SHIFT for the first letter of a word.

So - if anything interrupts the keystroke - it will naturally fail - but
things that interrupt keystrokes may not be inherently obvious.

Now - if only the OP comes back and determines it works for them as well.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

Shenan

I'm pleased that you sussed the problem. It's not unusual for games to
completely remap the keyboard.

Terry

: Suzanne S. Barnhill:

TF wrote:
> I'm pleased that you sussed the problem. It's not unusual for games to
> completely remap the keyboard.

Not remapped. If you do this quick enough - it works.
Just interrupt the keystroke.

In other words, if I held down CTRL right before I started selecting and do
it quickly and let go - this will work. But after a couple of seconds of
holding it down, the game has interrupted the keystroke and it no longer
registers the CTRL key as being pressed. The keyboard still works as it
should, just doesn't have a consistent flow of information. =)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I NEED a special program that does this. Using the Ctrl key doesn't
work. What is that program?

Thank you,

Barry Karas

Barry Karas wrote:
> I NEED a special program that does this. Using the Ctrl key doesn't
> work. What is that program?

That's the way that has been told to me and you in multiple groups:
-- microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
-- microsoft.public.office.misc
-- microsoft.public.word.newusers

Since at least one of those groups is full of MS Word experts - I am sure
they would have mentioned any third party applications they know.

The CTRL key method works perfectly for myself and many others - what about
it does NOT work for you?

If no one in these groups we have cross-posted to (this message included)
knows of a third party application, I suppose it is up to you find - since
we do not know what you need beyond the built-in functionality of the CTRL
key method...

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )