[SOLVED] Multi OS on the same SSD but they were installed on different drives - Tricky situation

Feb 27, 2021
Hi everyone,

I've been looking all over the web to find a solution to my problem so here I am.

I have PC#1 with Windows 10 installed on its SSD drive. I have PC#2 with Windows 7 installed on its SSD drive. What I want to do is combine those 2 already-installed OS on 2 partitions of the same SSD. I want to temporarely use this unique SSD on my 2 PCs by physically connecting the SSD to one of the PCs.

I cloned my 2nd SSD containing Windows 7 on a new partition of my first SSD (using EasyUS Partition Master).

I now have my 2 OSs on the same SSD. My problem is obviously the booting. Since Windows 10 was the first OS installed on the drive, it is booted by default when I use it on PC#1. I don't know what to do to force the booting of Windows 7 when I use it on PC#2.

I searched a lot about bootable USB but nothing applies to my particular case. It always requires a OS installation which I don't want to do.

I still have the installation CD of Windows 7 so I tried to boot from it, but it offers me to install Windows 7 and that's not what I want to do.

I'm confident there must be a way. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Way too many moving parts.

First off, moving a drive + OSs between systems is unlikely to work properly.
It may boot up, but full functionality is unlikely. And Windows versions previous to 10 were much worse with this.

And I'm still unclear of exactly what you're trying to do, and what you want the end state to be.

USAFRet

Titan
Way too many moving parts.

First off, moving a drive + OSs between systems is unlikely to work properly.
It may boot up, but full functionality is unlikely. And Windows versions previous to 10 were much worse with this.

And I'm still unclear of exactly what you're trying to do, and what you want the end state to be.

Solution
Feb 27, 2021
You're right. I got other tips from other forum but I finally gave up on that and used an old HDD instead, did a disk to disk clone and everything is fine and freaking slow but it works! I just wanted to save a SSD and that's what I did.