Question Multigig network help

May 21, 2023
My equipment:

Netgear CM2000 modem
Netgear RAXE500 Router
TP-Link TL-SG105-M2 Multigig switch

I’m have xfinity 1.2 gig internet and I’m having trouble setting up the switch. I’m doing something wrong and I can’t figure it out. Can someone walk me through how it should be wired. I was told when I bought the switch to wire modem -> switch -> router. Odd thing…when I plug the cat6 to the switch to the pc no connection. But if I unplug it from the switch and to the router I have internet. I’m stumped…my router only has 1gb lan ports I on a speed test the pc clocks 982. Speed test the router 1249….. I only have 1 2.5 port on the modem and 1 2.5 port on the router hence the switch to have 4 more 2.5 ports.

If you wanted any one PC to get >gigabit speeds, then you should've bought a router with multiple 2.5Gbps+ ports. A router with only gigabit LAN ports can only saturate your internet connection with multiple simultaneously connected devices including wifi.

You are only paying the ISP for one IP address, and it's the router's job to distribute traffic from that address to everything on your network. Putting the switch before the router should work fine--if you are only powering on one device connected to the switch at a time, but your problem is you left the router powered on while you plugged the PC into the switch. See, the modem has only one IP address to hand out and it already gave that to the router.

So if you want this to work the way you were expecting, unplug the router and anything else connected to the switch while you are using your PC. Or get an actual multi-gig capable router.

May 21, 2023
If you wanted any one PC to get >gigabit speeds, then you should've bought a router with multiple 2.5Gbps+ ports. A router with only gigabit LAN ports can only saturate your internet connection with multiple simultaneously connected devices including wifi.

You are only paying the ISP for one IP address, and it's the router's job to distribute traffic from that address to everything on your network. Putting the switch before the router should work fine--if you are only powering on one device connected to the switch at a time, but your problem is you left the router powered on while you plugged the PC into the switch. See, the modem has only one IP address to hand out and it already gave that to the router.

So if you want this to work the way you were expecting, unplug the router and anything else connected to the switch while you are using your PC. Or get an actual multi-gig capable router.
The router is Multigig. It just only has one port. All the lan ports are 1gig. So without the switch it’s wires 2.5gig modem -> 2.5gig router. I guess what I’m trying to figure out is how I can expand the number of 2.5gig ports I have with the switch and get 2.5gig speeds.

You can't fix with with a switch you MUST buy a different router.

Your main issue is you must have a wan port that can run 2.5g and at least 1 lan port that can run 2.5g.

It is not even the extra 2.5g port that makes it expensive it is having to put a larger cpu in the router that can actually pass 2.5g of traffic between the wan and the lan.

There are a number of routers that have multiple 2.5g ports but they tend to be more expensive.

Before you spend lots of money doing this you need to ask yourself why do you need faster than 1gbit internet. It is not going to make web surfing or netflix run any different. It will just let you download files a bit faster. How much money is it really worth to save a couple minutes of download time a month.

Your router only has ONE 2.5Gbe port. Your setup won't work. You need to buy a 2.5gbe router with 2 ports, then use your Netgear router as an access point instead.

Modem-->Router-->Switch-->Access point.

Dong Knows has some recommendations on TRUE 2.5gbe Routers which have dual 2.5gbe ports: https://dongknows.com/multi-gigabit-wi-fi-6-routers-to-bring-home-today/

But personally, those are all ARM processor routers and a little too slow for my needs. If you game and have several people in your house. I'd recommend you get one of these Intel Celeron X86 routers they sell on amazon or elsewhere which have mulitple 2.5Gbe ports. They're <$200 but will be able to traffic shape using FQ_Codel or CAKE algorithms at your full internet speed. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Qotom-Firewall-Celeron-Industrial-Computer/dp/B09ZY26BPZ Load it with OpenWRT or Pfsense, whatever you want.