Question Multimedia drive not working with any connector orientation

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
I have this dual floppy/multimedia drive installed in one of my computers and the multimedia part isn't being detected.
AGV_vUdJEvaehr0ICriyQZ9S_NwvkZbw2K3NF9aMQ9nOMTVqx8R-3_Pz6u8Wl2jS6MNHUX6pZFEE_mmWj921kHQutPReC-ZwFOhMKLsHfyL6bhbnIu6Fs3YwBtpw2FGxepXeuvo36E6FNPROYRjNr0s1e_n0Q0O_SIMk=nw

Here is the connector, (ignore the dirt and dust)
AGV_vUeULrFb8cgwZ-9X2dZstt7XI7iDILOxlcvXwAM99P6S-o8r7ZlYilcMCvGMCUaGTdmBcCZyjwUfji1xhQ7IT9ECpzvfQPa-0Gfo1isN-VUMRk0BrPBeJYXLIxuZD8ffgBtaNfPhLE-veshNOYnDc037iba2e8I=nw

Here is the port on the board

I have placed the connector on the bottom, top, and slightly to the right on the top and it still won't do anything. It also only works with the letters pointing down since it shorts it out causing the system to not start, yet the system does power on while facing up and to the right on the top but still isn't sensed.

I don't know if it doesn't work or not but any ideas as to why this is occurring?
Currently searching for a voltmeter to test the pins.

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS updates pending on you motherboard? Speaking of which, what is the make and model of you motherboard? Make and model of your multimedia device? Also, what OS are you working with? Often times when your chipset drivers aren't communicating with your devices and the OS, is when you have a particular device not respond.

You should orient the connector with respect to this diagram;
USB.png

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
The mainboard I have is an NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI. I was trying it with XP Pro and XP MCE 05' and I wasn't getting anything, I could try Vista or 7 real quick though.

I also got a readout of 7.20-7.60 volts (Not sure if the readings are accurate) for both left most pins so the connector is supposed to be facing down.

I don't think that there are anymore BIOS updates for my unit as it was used for a long while before I got a hold of it, and I think I can confirm it since I think this board required an update to install an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 which I did without installing any updates myself.

Last edited:
Can you show a picture of the device and the flow of cable from motherboard to the floppy/ USB. Front and rear of device.

What's throwing me off is the color code of wires in your picture. Standard color is red, white, green and black for USB to motherboard 2.0

The only ones I have seen that mix it up is when you use a pigtail for a 3.0 device to a 3.0 to USB 2.0 conversion wire to motherboard.