Multiplayer Support Confirmed for Mass Effect 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, this could be bad. It could eat up valuable space for the single player campaign. I hope there wasn't too much sacrificed. Remember the first Splinter Cell to allow multi-player? The single player campaign was noticeably shorter compared to the previous game featuring only a single player campaign. If you like multi, that's great, but if you love single player, I hope I don't end up feeling cheated out of more time.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I don't think I like this. Might be a good thing, but I don't know how to take a game like Mass Effect and turn it into a multi-player experience.

I could be pleasantly surprised though...

liannfs

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Actually, I don't like MP.
But if it doesn't affect the quality of single player then it'll be fine.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Blast you, BioWare! WHY?! Why the hell do you have to do that?! Mass Effect is SINGLE PLAYER ONLY! Goddamn it! First you were lazy and passed both NWN2 and KOTOR2 to Obsidian, but now you're just plain messed up! EA influence much?!

I know how it will turn out. It will be polished for crapBox and turn single player experience into BS by sacrificing the story element in favor of co-op shooting. Thanks a LOT, BioWare, you really DID come through to disappoint the ME players.

It would kinda be cool to include some sort of planetary-size RTS element for multiplayer, not completely like the halo rts, but planetary scale with the ME universe as a mini-game, and keep the real ME to the single player crowd. Or figure out how to interweave both elements into multiplayer and great story. I loved ME 1. only prob was managing weapons/items/armor for selling and getting spectre weaps so early. I loved it enough to finish 3x. ME2? Have not completed a playthrough yet. I tried twice and quit before I had even gathered the full crew.... I'll probably never finish it.

I had high hopes for Mass Effect from the beginning but there is a storage limitation, at least on the xbox 360. I hoped for a game that had the universe scale and ship to ship battles of Eve Online, the planetary assets, goofy aliens, and fully customizable ships with precursor tech of Star Control II/III, 3rd person action of ME, secondary character abilities and personalities like that of Baldur's Gate I/II, much more inventory / weapon / armor customization from a game like Everquest I/II...

hmmmm... well let's see how SW:TOR turns out haha ;-)

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I love co-op, but bottom line: fixed budget + more features = degraded quality. Multiplayer isn't like just adding in some extra missions, or another character. The whole game needs to be rethought out, story wise, and technically they have to build a usable server/client architecture into a single player game engine.

If they have to cut out characters and release them as DLC (Kasumi, or Shale from DA:O) due to time/budget constraints with just a single player campaign, imagine what's been cut, or never even considered to accommodate adding in MP?

This isn't for the benefit of what we have known as Mass Effect, this is EA meddling. It's *not* COD or Halo FFS! Something like this should be saved for a game outside the main trilogy. Instead, single player missions will be diluted for the benefit of Death Match addicted, ADHD infested kids that will just trade the game in the moment they stop being fooled into thinking it's a true "Multiplayer Experience".

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
One more thing:

Yet based on BioWare's comments, the studio may be receiving negative feedback due to the announcement.

NO REALLY? If you're on BioWare/Mass Effect forums, you'd know that nearly every ME player hates the idea of MP/co-op in ME3! BioWare is PURPOSEFULLY pissing its fans off, because they stated in one of the articles that "they want Call of Duty audience". Well guess what, they will NOT get CoD audience because it consists of trigger-happy kiddies and they'll lose faith of all their long-term fans.

[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]ME2? Have not completed a playthrough yet. I tried twice and quit before I had even gathered the full crew.... I'll probably never finish it.[/citation]

Push yourself. ME2 is one of the greatest games I played, you NEED to finish it :) Though, if you're just into shooting... but even that is better than in ME1.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Co-op is never a bad thing. I don't understand how anyone could think it would ruin the game. It's optional. If you don't like it, don't use it. People cry about the stupidest things. Now if they were making it into an MMO with monthly fees and ruining it like KOTOR, then I'd see a reason to bitch about it.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Co-op is never a bad thing. I don't understand how anyone could think it would ruin the game. It's optional. If you don't like it, don't use it. People cry about the stupidest things. Now if they were making it into an MMO with monthly fees and ruining it like KOTOR, then I'd see a reason to bitch about it.[/citation]

People cry because resources are limited and resources are being put into a component with little value instead of a component with a lot of value to people. ME is not made for M/P. It's a story-oriented game that meant to be played alone. CO-OP is for Halo, Gears, Call of Duty, and the like.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]I'd rather have a campaign coop. There are always 3 of you in a squad so why not make the 2 extra members PC?[/citation]

Because WTF are they gonna be doing while you run around, talk to NPCs and so on?!

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

I assume you don't play ANY RPG in campaign coop?

You'd probably have to WAIT like any other multiplayer games.
Let's say if the main player is talking to NPC, then show it to all players. At least you're doing something while waiting. Only give control to the extra players when they're able to draw their weapons. The only problem is when server is shopping.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You have several members on the team anyway, why not allow them to be human controlled and play through the normal campaign while having fun with your friends (with increased resistance for each human controlled). It would be a win win, multi players play multi play and single players play single play with same content for both!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
if i remember right, the game got pushed back because of multiplayer and ea meddling.

heres hopeing its better than 2, but i have no hope there, as they said they are again making it more actiony a while back. i got the game for the rpg side of it, not the action.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
here goes another franchise more worried about money so they add death match and online play. This game isnt about fragging your friends or even playing with them. Its about the decisions you make and how it affects the characters in the story. Its like a movie or book that you control... dont need other people playing that'll just mess up everything. Thankfully its in the final one of the trilogy so the story shouldnt be too harshly affected.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Blast you, BioWare! WHY?! Why the hell do you have to do that?! Mass Effect is SINGLE PLAYER ONLY! Goddamn it! First you were lazy and passed both NWN2 and KOTOR2 to Obsidian, but now you're just plain messed up! EA influence much?!I know how it will turn out. It will be polished for crapBox and turn single player experience into BS by sacrificing the story element in favor of co-op shooting. Thanks a LOT, BioWare, you really DID come through to disappoint the ME players.[/citation]

Welcome to Call of Mass Effect: rad edition!

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
The next story about ME3 will read: In other news, Bioware has decided that all resourses will be server side and a persistent internet connection will be necessary to play the game. A chip implanted at the base of the users skull will determine if he is thinking about pirating the game. Aaaargh.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]I assume you don't play ANY RPG in campaign coop?You'd probably have to WAIT like any other multiplayer games.Let's say if the main player is talking to NPC, then show it to all players. At least you're doing something while waiting. Only give control to the extra players when they're able to draw their weapons. The only problem is when server is shopping.[/citation]

This is the most retarded thing I've heard in a while. Only iPhone 4S being better than SGS II tops it, I think.

[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]This and it is supposed to have a buttload of gay content.ME2 was my last.[/citation]

BS, I bet you won't see the gay content if you don't look for it. In DAO, I told Zevran to STFU and he never mentioned anything of the sort again. It should be the same here.

Anyway, all of you who complain about ANY element in ME3 and say that you won't get the game because of it - you're not true ME fans... I hate the idea of MP and co-op (most likely the PC incarnation of these features will be badly ported and they'll strip the players of ALL awesome abilities, since the Vanguard or Infiltrator can pwn anyone within a couple of seconds), but I'll still get the game because I want to see how it all ends.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]if i remember right, the game got pushed back because of multiplayer and ea meddling. heres hopeing its better than 2, but i have no hope there, as they said they are again making it more actiony a while back. i got the game for the rpg side of it, not the action.[/citation]

BioWare says that the game got pushed back because of making it "the greatest in series", but somehow I think if they'd drop Kinect and MP, they'd be done by now.

[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]here goes another franchise more worried about money so they add death match and online play. This game isnt about fragging your friends or even playing with them. Its about the decisions you make and how it affects the characters in the story. Its like a movie or book that you control... dont need other people playing that'll just mess up everything. Thankfully its in the final one of the trilogy so the story shouldnt be too harshly affected.[/citation]

Indeed. It would be interesting to see ME-style combat in MP, but I'd rather prefer that thy would focus on this later and release it as a DLC for those who want it. Most of the players who "requested MP", as BioWare says, are the people who don't care about the storyline of the game so much. For me, it's indeed like a book/movie I control, and I certainly won't be playing co-op.

For those who says that it won't influence the SP since BioWare created a second team to develop MP, FORGET your hopes - the FAQ on BW forum hints that the easiest/safest way to victory will be through co-op.

And of course, I bet they won't have LAN support.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]if i remember right, the game got pushed back because of multiplayer and ea meddling. heres hopeing its better than 2, but i have no hope there, as they said they are again making it more actiony a while back. i got the game for the rpg side of it, not the action.[/citation]

I can't understand people who flame ME2 for being more action and less RPG than ME1. ME1 had way more shooting and if you call a massive inventory "RPG", that's only your definition of RPG. Both Mass Effects were great, but I frankly prefer ME2 for the more polished combat system, dialogue interrupts and more character-centered storyline.

Also, just a reminder: you DO know there's a key called "Shift" on your keyboard? English language usually capitalizes "I", first letter of every new sentence and proper names (e.g. EA). Also, its != it's. Just a bit of Grammar Nazi here; grammatical rules exist for a reason - your posts hurt my eyes and take twice as long to read as any other correctly written one.

FlyPonix

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
CURSE YOU BIOWARE!!! Curse you for letting me play one of my favorite games with my friends!

IMOH, people bitch too much.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I can't understand people who flame ME2 for being more action and less RPG than ME1. ME1 had way more shooting and if you call a massive inventory "RPG", that's only your definition of RPG. Both Mass Effects were great, but I frankly prefer ME2 for the more polished combat system, dialogue interrupts and more character-centered storyline.Also, just a reminder: you DO know there's a key called "Shift" on your keyboard? English language usually capitalizes "I", first letter of every new sentence and proper names (e.g. EA). Also, its != it's. Just a bit of Grammar Nazi here; grammatical rules exist for a reason - your posts hurt my eyes and take twice as long to read as any other correctly written one.[/citation]

Preach it, brotha! lol

Finish the Mass Effect trilogy as it was originally intended, single-player. It's such an awesome universe, there's plenty of material to create a whole new IP based on it. You can do fps multi-player, RTS, etc. Just finish this story properly, please. I will force my way thru ME2 just because ME1 was good enough to make me care about the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.