Question Multiple BSOD issues ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 21, 2022
Hi, I have been experiencing a lot of bsods after upgrading a few bits of hardware; my GPU, an addition of 32gb of RAM on top of the 16 that was already there, an nvme drive, and a 1000w psu.

I've seen errors like: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION for the most part.

From what I've read its usually a driver issue, but I've tried DDU multiple time, I've reinstalled windows entirely, and have tried updated driver with device manager.

I also thought it was a virus, so I've done multiple scans to no avail.

I also stopped any overclocking.

I check temps, and they max out cpu: ~75 and GPU also ~75 with idles around 45

my system is as follows:

ASUS Prime X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
2x 16 GB 3200mhz RAM + 2x 8 GB 3200mhz RAM ( the matching sets are in every other slot)
RTX 3070
samsung 980 pro nvme ssd
4 other ssd
intel wifi 6 ax200 wifi adaptor

Please let me know any other useful info I could provide.

Cheers

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wonder how i missed this thread

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

tpm on CPU.
Do you have latest BIOS on motherboard?
Newest chipset drivers? - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

Jul 21, 2022
Wonder how i missed this thread

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
tpm on CPU.
Do you have latest BIOS on motherboard?
Newest chipset drivers? - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

OK so its crashed just now so heres the mini dump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ROUmG2l6cIKHIWDLj7jZT-ND9BtQbNFz/view?usp=sharing

I updated the Bios after your message and its taken nearly a week to crash and event viewer says it restarted after a bug check, which makes me think there are/were multiple issues (but maybe the older minidumps are irrelevant now?) I hope you can help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 091322-10140-01.dmp (Sep 14 2022 - 02:26:22)
BugCheck: [IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE (4A)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: steamwebhelper)
Uptime: 3 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File: 090822-7765-01.dmp (Sep 8 2022 - 13:09:06)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File: 090622-8140-01.dmp (Sep 7 2022 - 01:07:53)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

File: 090622-7828-01.dmp (Sep 7 2022 - 02:55:48)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: expressvpnd.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 47 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)

File: 090422-9203-01.dmp (Sep 5 2022 - 06:28:28)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: EpicGamesLauncher.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)
Processes mentioned are victims

IRQL GT Zero at System Service isn't a BSOD I see very often.

I have to question if this is a windows 10 driver
Jul 26 2008FanControl.sys
see if newer version of express vpn?

try updating chipset drivers as I only see 1 AMD driver there - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Jul 21, 2022
Fan control is a project by Rem0o on github for controlling fan speeds with different temperature sensors,
I will uninstall it, unfortunately its really useful but maybe its too unstable
Will update chipset, but I thought I did that when I got the new motherboard.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Approaching this the hardware way, but might want to stick with suggestions from Colif first,

Hi, I have been experiencing a lot of bsods after upgrading a few bits of hardware; my GPU, an addition of 32gb of RAM on top of the 16 that was already there, an nvme drive, and a 1000w psu.

I've seen errors like: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION for the most part.
Remove the smaller ram kit and just use the 32GB one.
Saw this, you still only use the newer 32gb kit?
Did you already have troubles before upgrading the pc with this? Cause it seems troubles came after the upgrade reading it lke this .....
Did you test with only the older 16gb kit as well?

Tried memtest86 on this new kit? Means make a bootable usb stick and run memtes86 for at least four passses, might just want to run it overnight.

Jul 21, 2022
Approaching this the hardware way, but might want to stick with suggestions from Colif first,

Saw this, you still only use the newer 32gb kit?
Did you already have troubles before upgrading the pc with this? Cause it seems troubles came after the upgrade reading it lke this .....
Did you test with only the older 16gb kit as well?

Tried memtest86 on this new kit? Means make a bootable usb stick and run memtes86 for at least four passses, might just want to run it overnight.
Why use this over the built in windows memtest?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is there an easy way to check if the chipset driver is properly installed?

Not easily as they all sort of deep level

Mar 11 2020amdgpio2.sysAMD GPIO Controller Driver from Advanced Micro Devices http://support.amd.com/

May 18 2021AMDPCIDev.sysAdvanced Micro Devices PCI Device driver
these are the 2 you had before, you should have a few more now as the package includes multiple drivers
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-4-08-09-2337

if you BSOD again I will see the differences or download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

that will tell you if the drivers installed are newer than the ones you had.
Why use this over the built in windows memtest?

because memtest86 more thorough

Jul 21, 2022
When I look at the event viewer it always critically errors around the same time I get a TPM error, and in windows it says I cant upgrade to windows 11 (not that I really want to) but I swear when I installed the newer motherboard it said that I could upgrade to win11, could this be a virus?

Jul 21, 2022
Didnt read whole thread. Want to ask did you try your system with different psu?

No I cant, its only a few months old though. I only have a 650w one spare which couldn't handle the 3070 (was crashing a lot and i had to lower the power limit on msi after burner to 50 percent) so I upgraded to a 1000w one.

If anyone knows a place in Berlin where I could get it tested with spares that would be good.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 091922-10031-01.dmp (Sep 19 2022 - 18:58:08)
BugCheck: [UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007F)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: steam.exe)
Uptime: 2 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 38 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File: 091422-8156-01.dmp (Sep 15 2022 - 01:03:23)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: 3dsmax.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)

Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

first crash is strange, no stack text. Normally get something to work with.

do you use Afterburner? try updating it as its from 2020.
update VPN software as well.

tried this yet?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you clean install windows after getting a new motherboard?

chkdsk is probably all you need.
open command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk X: /f and press enter
replace X with drive letter of each ssd

on C drive, 2 paragraphs will show up, agree to run at startup and then restart PC to let it run. Shouldn't take long on a 980 Pro

Jul 21, 2022
did you clean install windows after getting a new motherboard?

chkdsk is probably all you need.
open command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk X: /f and press enter
replace X with drive letter of each ssd

on C drive, 2 paragraphs will show up, agree to run at startup and then restart PC to let it run. Shouldn't take long on a 980 Pro
I didn't clean install after getting the new mobo, as I didn't think it was necessary. But I did do one shortly beforehand

I checked every disk, finding no issues.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
No I cant, its only a few months old though. I only have a 650w one spare which couldn't handle the 3070 (was crashing a lot and i had to lower the power limit on msi after burner to 50 percent) so I upgraded to a 1000w one.

If anyone knows a place in Berlin where I could get it tested with spares that would be good.
You should try your system with another psu.