Commendable
Jul 4, 2017
Hey,

I run a computer using
i7-7700k
gtx 1080ti
Asrock z270 Gaming K4
Corsair memory 16 Gb
Everything is relatively new except for my main C: drive, an SSD of about 90 Gb for let's just say 9 or more years (as well as two HDD drives for the same time and a new m.2, had it for a year maybe longer) which is now at 90% filled.
The PSU is also that same 9 year ish age, a coolermaster v700

My windows 10 pro is acting up a lot though.
Currently I'm having trouble since my windows key doesn't work, neither do any of the specialized keys.
My GPU doesn't show up in my device manager, and I have noticed ds4 controllers, as well as my keyboard just not being recognized.

The GPU also currently doesn't want to update, it stops at 10 percent and then says failed. I have had problems with this before.
Back then it just wouldn't start installing though.
I got around it by installing the drivers by downloading the exe from nvidia, saving the files, and inbetween the installation using the files in device manager to update.
This doesn't work anymore since the GPU doesn't show up in devmgmt anymore.

Another thing is the problems with task scheduler, as well as my firewall. Task scheduler doesn't seem to turn on and says "cannot find remote computer", and the firewall tends to turn itself off at random with pretty much no ability to turn it back on again (saying restore settings, clicking it does nothing).
Lastly my email just stopped working, any attempt to fix any problems with that gives a pretty much random error code (0x80070426).

Fixes are sfc /scannow which got stuck at 50%, chkdsk with a bunch of extra stuff which got stuck at 5%. Windows update only does security updates but is otherwise fine.
I have a lot of files on my computer so resetting the whole thing could be an option but a cumbersome one (especially since I'd have to locate the original code for windows 10 pro).

Please help, if you need more information or need me to do anything or send a file over don't hesitate to ask.

Solution
The GPU also currently doesn't want to update, it stops at 10 percent and then says failed. I have had problems with this before.
I got around it by installing the drivers by downloading the exe from nvidia, saving the files, and inbetween the installation using the files in device manager to update.
Does GPU work in other PC? Your method of installing drivers is a sign something is wrong.

Which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current is 1903

I only ask as a repair install might be one way to fix your many errors -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does GPU work in other PC? Your method of installing drivers is a sign something is wrong.

right click start
choose run...
current is 1903

I only ask as a repair install might be one way to fix your many errors - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html but you need to be on latest still to do that,
All it does is replaces windows, leaves everything else as is.

1909 is due out very soon, so the window to do that fix is small as you need the ISO to match your current install version, although a fix is just to update to 1909... which could fix it anyway, as version updates are essentially clean installs and would maybe fix all your problems

I'd have to locate the original code for windows 10 pro).

reset process doesn't need license key, it starts after the screen you input it. Even if you had to clean install to fix, you still don't need the key. All Win 10 PC are recorded on a Microsoft activation server, it will have a record of your legit key + details of PC its installed on + possibly an email address. Reinstalling win 10 on a PC its already been on is dead simple... that doesn't make getting pc back to normal any easier but the key is no longer required.

Solution

Lens_inc

Commendable
Jul 4, 2017

right click start
choose run...
current is 1903

I only ask as a repair install might be one way to fix your many errors - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html but you need to be on latest still to do that,

1909 is due out very soon, so the window to do that fix is small as you need the ISO to match your current install version, although a fix is just to update to 1909... which could fix it anyway, as version updates are essentially clean installs and would maybe fix all your problems

reset process doesn't need license key, it starts after the screen you input it. Even if you had to clean install to fix, you still don't need the key. All Win 10 PC are recorded on a Microsoft activation server, it will have a record of your legit key + details of PC its installed on + possibly an email address. Reinstalling win 10 on a PC its already been on is dead simple... that doesn't make getting pc back to normal any easier but the key is no longer required.

Okay weird, the build says 1809. That would be terrible.
Osbuild 17763.805
Alright a reset is best but as you described it I need to update my OS first.

Check health of your storage devices. Use HDtune health.

What are model names of your storage devices?

Model names are:
C:
Intel SSDSC2CW120A3
D:
ST2000DM001
E:
WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B0
B:
Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512 GB

I will have complete access to my pc in the evening so at that point I could tell you more. Right now TeamViewer access is all I have. HDTune Health I'll do asap.
Edit: HDTune Health has multiple attributes I could show you, what specifically do you want me to do?

Last edited:
Just a side note - those ST2000DM001 drives drop like flies. Would not be too surprised, if your drive has some issue too.
And that Intel 520 SSD - it's probably quite old. Check drive health with Intel SSD toolbox.
Use Samsung Magician to check 970 evo. I would not expect any problem with it though.

Show screenshots from Hdtune health (for HDDs),
Intel SSD toolbox (for Intel SSD) and
Samsung Magician (for 970 evo).

Lens_inc

Commendable
Jul 4, 2017

right click start
choose run...
current is 1903

Alright so since I saw that I should update, I did. It bloody fixed all my issues which is just making me feel stupid right now.

Just a side note - those ST2000DM001 drives drop like flies. Would not be too surprised, if your drive has some issue too.
And that Intel 520 SSD - it's probably quite old. Check drive health with Intel SSD toolbox.
Use Samsung Magician to check 970 evo. I would not expect any problem with it though.

Show screenshots from Hdtune health (for HDDs),
Intel SSD toolbox (for Intel SSD) and
Samsung Magician (for 970 evo).

Alright, so
Intel SSD
Read scan worked fine, and finished succesfully. There isn't enough space to perform an integrity scan though.
I included the test from HDTune instead, because I couldn't get anything from the Intel SSD Toolbox.
IDOdsdt.png

ST2000DM001
1cBKXf2.png

WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B0
qiKdF5K.png

Samsung evo was indeed fine, ran optimizations anyway.

I think that the next thing I'll do is look for a good 4-8 Tb HDD, and a new SSD as a boot drive (though the transfer of windows will be difficult).

Last edited: