Question Multiple shutdowns with BSODs.

Sep 15, 2020
Hii,

So it started 2 months ago. My PC generates BSODs everytime I turn it on. When I turn it on, it works fine for around 10 minutes and then shows BSOD and shuts down. Then it tries to reboot but nothing is displayed on screen and not even the boot screen. Then when I try cutting off power completely and then again starting it, it won't even boot. Not even the beep sound on boot can be heard. Only the fans run and nothing else. Also, it may start after few restarts by itself but it will boot till windows logo and then the screen flickers and it shuts down again.

BSOD code:- IRQL_not_less_or_equal

But after 2-3 days it will turn on but after 10 minutes it will repeat the same thing.

Things I tried so far:-
  1. Tried to boot it with a different ram but still same problem.
  2. Used the cpu on other motherboard and it's working fine.
  3. Tested the PSU and it's fine.
  4. Tested HDD and it is also working fine.
My PC configuration(It's 7 years old):-
Processor :- Intel i3 540 @3.06GHz (LGA 1156)
Ram :- Hynix 4gb(2×2gb)
Hdd :- Seagate Barracuda 500GB
PSU :- IBall PNY-225 450Watts
Motherboard :- Intel H55 desktop motherboard

I even tried replacing CMOS [battery] but it won't help.

So my final question,
Should I buy a new motherboard or is there anything I can check more?

Please answer.
Thanks.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sep 15, 2020
This usually a software issue so hardware testing probably wouldn't be logical at this point. The BSOD is indicating a specific type of problem, no BSOD is the same really.

Please see this guide on how to enable minidump files here: Handy details to include in Blue Screen of Death posts and once you have the dump files please run this and send us the ZIP files over a downloadable link/file sharing site.
It's not always that the BSOD appears but it occurs like 1 in 10 times. Most of the time the computer just freezes and shuts down and when it tries to restart itself, it doesn't even boot. So this led me to think that it might be a bad mobo.
Just to be clear the thermals stay below 50 degree Celsius.
And also after crashing it powers up, fans run but no power in mouse and keyboard.

Do I still need to send dump files because it will only boot next after 2-3 days?

Last edited: