Question Multitasking any sort of graphically intensive tasks causes my machine to slow to a crawl on a newer hardware when it didn't on older.

Jul 23, 2024
Hey all!

I recently swapped out my CPU/Mobo/RAM from an Intel i7 7820x 3.6GHz 8-core CPU on an Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING ATX LGA2066 Motherboard with Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory to the specs listed at the bottom of this post. While I've seen performance increases in most cases, it seems that as soon as I get more than one graphically intensive program going, it slows to a crawl. Things I used to be able to run side by side on different monitors with my older CPU/Mobo/RAM and the current GPU seem to seriously struggle now and for the life of me I can't work out why.

My first thought was, obviously, the new hardware. I've updated the BIOS, ensured the chipset drivers are up to date, run various benchmarks and tests with 3DMarks Time Spy and CPU Profile, Unigine Heaven, Memtest86 (0 errors). I've checked my BIOS and ensured it's running the EXPO II settings for the memory timings. I've also tried software tweaks like disabling the high precision event timer and just today, a full windows reinstall.

I'm kind of at a loss because nothing seems to be yielding any obvious errors, yet any time of multitasking with graphically intensive tasks is immeasurably better on objectively weaker hardware. My best guess is memory timings but that's outside of my expertise and I'm not really sure what I'd be looking for. I would really appreciate any insight or advice anyone may have and I'm more than willing to provide any additional information anyone requests to help troubleshoot this. Thank you.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 7800X3D
GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Dual V2 OCASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Dual V2 OC
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Grey 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 2x 32gb sticks
OS Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB PCIe NVMe M.2