My 1050 2GB only uses more than 1GB of VRAM on DX11 games

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I play Eurotruck Simulator a lot but it's only a DX9 game and I've noticed that my 1050 only uses about 650MB of VRAM on it whereas on games like Crysis 3 it uses 1.3GB as well as similar DX11 games such as Dying Light and Alien Isolation.

In Eurotruck Simulator 2 there are parts of the map where I really need the graphics card to use its power where I'm only getting like 20fps because it's not using even half of it's potential.

Why is it? Is there a way for me to force the 1050 to use more VRAM on DX9 games such as ETS2?

Solution
Well 40% cpu usage and 50% gpu usage means that the game is not properly leveraging your hardware, this could be software or diver related in that case I would expect poor performance in other games as well. Or it could just be that the game does not work well with modern hardware as said above. I dont think that DX9 itself is the issue, I know many a DX9 game that run excellent on pascel, it could be the implementation of DX9 in that specific game or some other factor.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Huh? If the game uses 950mb of VRAM thats all it uses, you cant force a game to use more VRAM it will use what it needs. What is gpu usage and cpu usage in euro truck simulator? That will tell you if your gpu is being fully utilized, dont worry about VRAM consumption.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

GPU usage usually doesn't go past 55% and VRAM only goes up to 650MB.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

A DX9 game is not going to use very much VRAM, a few hundred megabytes is all I would expect from a dx9 game like euro truck simulator, your performance issues are not tied to vram consumption I can pretty much guarantee that.. What is cpu usage? Do you have vsync enabled?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

cpu usage is around 40%, no I don't have VSYNC enabled.

My Specs:

FX6300
8GB DDR3 Ram
GTX 1050 2GB

Ima OpGamer

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
I think the game isnt that well optimised or there is no need to exceed the amount of vram it is currently using. It is very strange however that a gtx 1050 is getting 20fps on a game such like that. I'd say that the problem is coming from the fact that it is a DX9 game. The game may not support a pascal card since DX9 is very old now.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well 40% cpu usage and 50% gpu usage means that the game is not properly leveraging your hardware, this could be software or diver related in that case I would expect poor performance in other games as well. Or it could just be that the game does not work well with modern hardware as said above. I dont think that DX9 itself is the issue, I know many a DX9 game that run excellent on pascel, it could be the implementation of DX9 in that specific game or some other factor.

Solution