[SOLVED] My 144hz monitor is only letting me use 120hz?

May 21, 2020
I dont know why my monitor is acting up like this, i have tried using a different hdmi cable, tried 10 different nvidia custom settings configs but nothing works!
someone please help.

Solution
I cant use the display port because my 2013 prebuilt does not have it. also i have a NVIDIA geforce GPU, thats all it says in device manager so i cant tell you the specific model.

You can download CPU-z - it is a free utility which can identify the GPU you are currently using.

But I still think t is likely that you'd need to use DisplayPort to set the 144Hz refresh rate, so I don't think that the graphics card is the limitng factor. So identifying the GPU is not essential.

EDIT:

If you find out what GPU you have, you should probably check to see if you are using the current up-to-date driver for the graphics card, or if you are possibly running the Windows default GPU driver (sometimes when the GPU model is not...
What make and model of monitor do you have?

Is it HDMI input only, or does it support DisplayPort or DVI Dual Link also?

Soem monitors with multiple input option don't always support all refresh rates regardless of the connection used. Some may only support the max refresh rate with a certain type cable such as DisplayPort etc.

EDIT :

There's no users manual available on their site, so I can't look up, wheter it requires a specific type of input for 144Hz refresh rate.

EDIT II :

There's a user's manual on Amazon, it doesn't mention how to achieve 144Hz, but it does state, that the monitor comes with a DisplayPort cable included - did you try to use that, and see if it enables you to set a 144Hz refresh rate?

Also - what graphics card are you using?

Last edited:
May 21, 2020
What make and model of monitor do you have?

Is it HDMI input only, or does it support DisplayPort or DVI Dual Link also?

Soem monitors with multiple input option don't always support all refresh rates regardless of the connection used. Some may only support the max refresh rate with a certain type cable such as DisplayPort etc.

EDIT :

There's no users manual available on their site, so I can't look up, wheter it requires a specific type of input for 144Hz refresh rate.

EDIT II :

There's a user's manual on Amazon, it doesn't mention how to achieve 144Hz, but it does state, that the monitor comes with a DisplayPort cable included - did you try to use that, and see if it enables you to set a 144Hz refresh rate?

Also - what graphics card are you using?
I cant use the display port because my 2013 prebuilt does not have it. also i have a NVIDIA geforce GPU, thats all it says in device manager so i cant tell you the specific model.

You can download CPU-z - it is a free utility which can identify the GPU you are currently using.

But I still think t is likely that you'd need to use DisplayPort to set the 144Hz refresh rate, so I don't think that the graphics card is the limitng factor. So identifying the GPU is not essential.

EDIT:

If you find out what GPU you have, you should probably check to see if you are using the current up-to-date driver for the graphics card, or if you are possibly running the Windows default GPU driver (sometimes when the GPU model is not listed, I have seen that the driver installed is the default one from Windows, and not the model specific one from nVidia. It is not neccessarily true in your case, but it could be worth double checking since it only takes a minute or two).

Last edited:
Solution
May 21, 2020

EDIT:

If you find out what GPU you have, you should probably check to see if you are using the current up-to-date driver for the graphics card, or if you are possibly running the Windows default GPU driver (sometimes when the GPU model is not listed, I have seen that the driver installed is the default one from Windows, and not the model specific one from nVidia. It is not neccessarily true in your case, but it could be worth double checking since it only takes a minute or two).
Thank you! I have a GTX 860M