Question My 16+8gb ram read as single channel and 16gb only

Jan 13, 2022
Sorry I'm new to the world of computer assembly and I have a problem. i have 2x8gb ram installed on my dual channel motherborad which has 4 ram slots (asrock b450 pro4). my friend who has 2 ram slots on his motherboard wanted to upgrade his ram to 2x8 and gave his former (2x4gb) to me but when i installed it what happened was that my memory read as single channel in bios and 16gb in task manager
my ram (2x8) and my friend's (2x4) from the same brand and clock (Team T-Force Delta) I installed it with 8|4|8|4 configuration. anyone know how to make it read as dual channel in bios and 24gb in task manager?
Thank you in advance

specification
Motherboard : Asrock B450 pro4
Processor: ryzen 5 2600
gpu : Gigabyte gtx 1060 6Gb
16gb ram kit : Team T-Force Delta
8gb ram kit : Team T-Force Delta
PSU: coolermaster mwe 600watt

Solution
Move the 2x8gb sticks to A2,B2 and remove the 4gb sticks. AMD doesnt like to mix sticks even when they are the same brand and speed. Gen 1 and 2 also suffer from slower ram speeds with 4 slots being filled, as per your manual max speed with 4 sticks is 2133MHz which is bad when AMD really likes fast ram.
Move the 2x8gb sticks to A2,B2 and remove the 4gb sticks. AMD doesnt like to mix sticks even when they are the same brand and speed. Gen 1 and 2 also suffer from slower ram speeds with 4 slots being filled, as per your manual max speed with 4 sticks is 2133MHz which is bad when AMD really likes fast ram.

Reactions: Ibuju
Solution
Memory controllers are quite picky. Odds are you won't make it work as dual channel. But before that it seems it doesn;t even recognize the extra kit. So, first make sure your ram slots are actually working.
Place your 2x8 kit to the slots occupied before by your 2x4 kit. If it works then your slots are ok. You can download HWInfo and check the timings of your 2x4 kit, then go to bios and force the timings manually. You should go with the looser timings and not tighter. Primary timings are not enough, check also secondary or tertiary timings. You can check all of those timings in bios. If the system works with only 2x4 kit installed then keep record of all the timings and force them after installing all of your kits

Reactions: Ibuju
Jan 13, 2022
thank you for the reply. when I followed the suggestion to change the configuration to 4|8|4|8 it reads 24gb and dual channel. but as per reply, max speed i can get is 2400mhz. what if I buy the same ram as before so that it becomes 4x8, will the maximum speed I can get remain at 2400mhz or is it better for me to just use 2x8 3000mhz and return the 2x4 ram to my friend?