Question My 1st custom build - Ryzen 7 3800x

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone, i am trying to build my 1st custom PC and i need your advice. My imac is getting old and makes my work slow. I have put a list together and checked for compatibility issues, everything looks ok but let me know if you see anything you dont like.
Please advice on any of the parts, for example if i could spend just a bit more on a certain part that is worth it. I have already maxed out my budget and performance required (i think) therefore i cannot go a lot more than this.
And this is how much i want to run on my PC at the same time and dont want to worry about anything. I want it to run without any delays, i want everything to be really smooth.
Thank you everyone, cant wait to listen to your comments.

Tasks at the same time:
1) BIM software - Revit ( model 1), 2) BIM software - Revit (model 2), 3) Sketchup, 4) AutoCAD, 5) Fusion 360, 6) Structural Design Software - Autodesk Robot (model 1), 7) Structural Design Software - Autodesk Robot (model 2),
8)100 browser tabs open (just documents no videos), 9) 5 browser tabs streaming videos, 10) 50 pdf documents open,
link to the list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mechanicos/saved/#view=FW7MvK
  1. CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor $338.99
  2. CPU Cooler
    Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $189.88
  3. Motherboard
    MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard $199.99
  4. Memory
    G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $244.99
  5. Storage
    Western Digital Red Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $129.99
  6. Storage
    Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $219.99
  7. Video Card
    MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING Video Card
  8. Case
    be quiet! Dark Base 700 ATX Mid Tower Case $179.99
  9. Power Supply
    be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
  10. Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $109.99
Total: $1613.81

Just get a 3700X, it's a slightly lower binned 3800X, and the 3800X definitely isn't worth the extra $40. Also, that AIO is not necessary unless you overclock (which you shouldn't on ryzen 3000 chips). Just get a decent air cooler if you're worried about noise, but the stock cooler will work well too.

Low end MSI X570 boards are just bad. 8+2 phase VRMs, but they sorta make up for it in heatsink. Honestly if you do go X570 get the ASUS X570-P, TUF Gaming, or Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.

But you probably don't need the PCIe gen 4 or overkill VRMs anyways, so I'd honestly suggest getting an MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX.

Do you even know what video card that is? It seems like a blower card based on the name. Get a Gigabyte 5700XT Gaming OC, or Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT. They are the best 5700XTs for the price.

Dark Power is a really nice PSU, but honestly that level of quality is unnecessary as well as 750W wattage (it's also out of stock...). Seasonic Focus GX 550W, Corsair RMx 550W, or, if you want to be able to upgrade to a flagship GPU like the 2080 Ti, Corsair RMx 650W, are all really good PSUs.

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Thanks for your reply,
Regarding the CPU the ryzen 7 3700x is 3.6ghz while the 3800x is 3.9ghz, even the ryzen 9 3900x is 3.8ghz. I am looking for as much speed as possible per single core since i will be using it for 3d modelling. For such applications only one.core is used while working on the model compared to rendering which uses multiple cores. Dont you think that 0.3ghz difference is worth the 40 bucks?

It's not even a 0.3GHz difference. What you are looking at is the base clocks, which are generally not particularly relevant to performance in desktop computers, since the CPU switches to boost clocks whenever it is under any sort of load. You are only likely to see base clocks under load if a processor is overheating.

Depending on how many cores are being utilized and other factors like heat and power delivery, a 3800X can boost up near 4.5GHz on a lightly-threaded workload, while a 3700X can boost up near 4.4GHz. So, it's more like a 0.1GHz difference, or not much more than 2%, and that margin should be similar no matter how many cores are active. The 3900X can technically boost up near 4.6GHz in lightly-threaded workloads when conditions are right, though real-world performance tends to be about the same as these other processors at most tasks. It does have 50% more cores and threads though, which could potentially be useful in software that can utilize all cores, such as for CPU-based 3D rendering and video encoding.

Of course, looking at the total cost of this system, that extra $40 for the 3800X only adds about 2.5% to its cost, so it could arguably be considered justifiable, though I doubt you would actually notice the difference. If you happen to have some actual need for the extra cores, there's also the 3900X, though it's currently about another $100 more.

I would probably change some other things with this build though. First, you probably don't need a $200 AIO cooler. These processors don't exactly put out an excessive amount of heat due to the efficient 7nm process they are built on, so if you want an aftermarket cooler, one costing about half as much would likely be more than enough.

Also, that RAM is kind of expensive. You can get a 32GB kit of G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CAS 16 for around $85 less, that should perform quite similar...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zc...2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-32gvkc

Switching those components should make virtually no difference to performance. There are probably other things that could be optimized as well, depending on your exact needs.

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Regarding the RAM, the one i chose has a latency of 14 (looks like its the only one at that rate) while the one you suggest is 16, dont you think thats a big difference? And why there are not that many RAMs with 14 latency? No one else makes them, and the one i chose is more than 2 years old

You are looking at a lot of multi threaded work. You could easily get a 3900x in that budget. The MSI B450 Tomahawk Max is more than enough to run a 3900x, I’ve seen reviews of it running a 3950x and benching just as well as a good X570. No you would not want to overclock a 3900x/3950x on a B450 but for your needs a 3900x at stock will be much better than a 3700x/3800x. You don’t need a H150i cooler, these cpu’s are not that compared to say a 9900k. By saving on motherboard and cooler you should be able to squeeze in the better cpu which is actually going to return some benefit for that money.

Regarding the RAM, the one i chose has a latency of 14 (looks like its the only one at that rate) while the one you suggest is 16, dont you think thats a big difference? And why there are not that many RAMs with 14 latency? No one else makes them, and the one i chose is more than 2 years old
The thing with latency is that it's also dependent on the clock rate of the RAM. At a higher clock rate, each cycle will take less time, so naturally it will take more of those shorter cycles to access memory at the same latency. DDR4-3200 CAS 14 has a true CAS latency of 8.75 nanoseconds, while DDR4-3600 CAS 16 has a very similar latency of 8.88 nanoseconds, only about a 1.5% difference.

Now, some of the other sub-timings on that higher-priced DDR4-3200 CAS 14 kit are a bit tighter (14-14-14-34 compared to 16-19-19-39), however, latency isn't everything when it comes to memory performance, and RAM running at DDR4-3600 offers up to 12.5% more bandwidth than RAM running at DDR4-3200, and while it might potentially be possible to overclock that RAM to DDR4-3600 speed as well, it would be necessary to loosen the timings to do so.

It's probably also worth pointing out that a nanosecond is only a billionth of a second, so the delay of any given memory access is not going to be directly perceptible on its own, but as part of the overall performance of memory accesses by the processor. And for most processing tasks, the CPU is doing a lot more than just accessing memory, diminishing the impact of any minor performance differences that might exist. So, ultimately, the difference is not likely to be perceptible either way, and both of these kits of RAM should offer very similar performance. The 3000-series Ryzen processors tend to handle DDR4-3600 just fine, so you might as well go with that, seeing as it's available at a substantially lower price.

Reactions: extreme_noob
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2ftZrV I put together a list which would perform better but is actually a bit cheaper if you add in the cost of the items that were out of stock in your list.

3900X has more cores than the 3700X/3800X which improves performance in those applications you listed
RAM is 3600C16 for a much lower price, and you won't notice the performance decrease outside of synthetic benchmarks
Motherboard is an ASUS Prime X570-P which has excellent VRMs for the price, more than enough to handle a 3900X.
Cooler is honestly a nice to have. It will cool the 3900X easily. Stock would probably work as well.
I didn't bother with changing drives, except changing 970 Evo Plus to 970 Evo, since the extra 100MB/s read/write isn't worth the higher price really.
Video card is among the best 5700XTs
Case I left in case you really liked the look of it or something
Downgraded PSU because 750W bequiet dark power pro 11 is completely overkill.

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Thank you everyone for your comments

I have changed the RAM to DDR4 3600 as suggested
I have also changed the cooling system and power supply to cheaper ones but i am still going with a liquid cooler. I will post the list later.

I will also change the motherboard, i have watched some reviews and i dont like the MSI motherboard, i am thinking either ASUS TUF Gaming X570 - pLus, GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE or ASROCK X570 Steel Legend

and since i will change the motherboard i will also change the graphics card to be the same brand.

I also forgot to mention, i am going with the Ryzen 9 3900x. i did follow your advice to reduce the price of the RAM, powersupply and cooler therefore i am able to get the 3900x. Thanks a lot that was a good advice

after watching another review i am discarding ASROCK steel legend, therefore i am between ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS and GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE.
Yeah asrock bios is buggy, and their low end boards have literally the worst vrms on x570.

Between those two boards, the elite has bios flashback while the tuf gaming doesnt. The tuf has debug leds while the elite has no troubleshooting features. The VRMs of the two boards are similar. And I generally prefer asus bios over gigabyte, but most users dont enter bios except to enable xmp anyways.

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hello everyone again, i have not yet build my custom PC, i am about to place the order next week, so i am looking at my parts list once more.

The first question i have is about the RAMS

So what is the main difference between the two rams posted below, their specs are the same however they are different models, one is the Trident and the other is the Ripjaws

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/gskill-ripjaws-v-32gb-ddr4-k2-32gvkc-ram
VS
https://www.computeruniverse.net/en...dr4-k2-32gtzrc-ram-multicoloured-illumination

can someone point out the main difference? even the latency is exactly the same

Last edited:
Hello everyone again, i have not yet build my custom PC, i am about to place the order next week, so i am looking at my parts list once more.

The first question i have is about the RAMS

So what is the main difference between the two rams posted below, their specs are the same however they are different models, one is the Trident and the other is the Ripjaws

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/gskill-ripjaws-v-32gb-ddr4-k2-32gvkc-ram
VS
https://www.computeruniverse.net/en...dr4-k2-32gtzrc-ram-multicoloured-illumination

can someone point out the main difference? even the latency is exactly the same
pretty much just one is RGB. Though one may be a different IC from the other. It doesnt show the subtimings for the Trident Z kit for me, so I wouldn't know what IC it uses. The Ripjaws kit is definitely Hynix DJR, and I suspect the Trident Z is DJR or Rev E, based on pricing. If you dont care about overclocking, there is no noticeable difference. Otherwise, the Rev E overclocks a bit better.