My 3.0 P4 won't work in place of my 1.8 P4 Help

Zpalma

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I have an old Dell 8200 with the wonderful rambus (stop laughing) that I took the old 1.8 chip out of and installed a 3.0. When I power it up, it checks all the drives for about a second and then just sits there taunting me. The drives stop running and the mouse, keyboard, and monitor are inop. I put my old chip back in and everything is as it was. Are there some new Intel chipset drivers I need? Is my motherboard or BIOS too old? Any ideas would be helpful because at this rate of swapping, I'm going to need a 55 gal. drum of heat paste. Thanks

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Definitely check for any new BIOS updates. Go to the Intel site (NOT the Dell site) and install the latest chipset drivers as well.

duffsr

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I believe its a compatability issue with the fsb.

1.8ghz p4 has 400mhz fsb. there were some 533mhz fsb 3.0ghz p4s that were compatable, but i'm guessing you have the 800mhz fsb version.

You need to get the 2.8ghz northwood p4 with the 533 mhz fsb, available on newegg for 72 bucks.

I have a dell 4500 with the same 1.8ghz p4. im replacing it with the 2.8ghz p4, and giving it to my parents so it give them a few usefull years.

There is a 2 pin difference between the P4 1.8, and 3.0. This difference is an incompatibility between the RAMBUS architecture, and the socket you are using. The only way to correct this is to cut off pin 3, and pin 195. Both of these are DDR dependent and will not effect the workings of the chip inside a RAMBUS system. Once removed, the chip can not be used in a DDR system, unless you are good at resodering lil'pins.

/joke. Update bios is all you should need. Note: Make sure you have a good PSU with enough power to run the CPU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First update your BIOS, then find out you can't run the required bus speed.

The early boards could only do FSB400, then came FSB533 boards, and finally FSB800. There were no RDRAM-supporting chipsets for FSB800.

That means a 3.0GHz P4 would operate at 533 bus instead of 800 bus, getting you 2.0GHz. Word, that's no upgrade. What's worse is if you have an earlier board, you'd only get 1.5GHz.

OK, so say it's REALLY a Pentium 4 3.06, which is what you should have been considering. Well, that would work fine with a BIOS update, as long as you have the later version of the motherboard that supports FSB533. Otherwise it would only run at 2.30GHz on the FSB400 board.

Finally, you never said WHICH 3.0 you got. I've been assuming that it's NOT a 3.06 but a 3.0, which could be based on the Northwood or Prescott cores. More bad news, the Prescotts won't work even at slower speeds. Intel changed a pin or two to prevent Prescotts from running on early boards, due to the fact that early boards couldn't supply enough power to run the horribly inefficient Prescott.