[SOLVED] My 60Hz monitor is running at 75Hz, is this safe?

Apr 21, 2020
Hello,

I have two displays. My primairy is a 75hz display and my secondary is a BenQ GW2480 24 Inch 1080p Eye Care LED IPS Monitor.

I was curious to see if my Benq monitor, which was running at 60hz, could run at 75hz like my main display. Upon customizing the refresh rate within Nvidia control pannel, I was suprised to see it was now running at 75hz. Is this dangerous in anyway to the monitor? Also, I believe it is connected via HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
You've overclocked your monitor. It's not necessarily dangerous, some very few people end up with bricked monitors(~1% at most), most people will run it at 75Hz for most of their lives before selling/replacing it while a few will have their monitor die on them in a few years time. It just seems lower your monitor's lifespan but sometimes in very rare cases it can break your monitor.
I personally think that as long as you don't go above 75, you should be safe. If you're really unlucky your monitor may break in ~2 years time and if you're Roy Cleveland Sullivan then maybe your monitor will break tomorrow.
You've overclocked your monitor. It's not necessarily dangerous, some very few people end up with bricked monitors(~1% at most), most people will run it at 75Hz for most of their lives before selling/replacing it while a few will have their monitor die on them in a few years time. It just seems lower your monitor's lifespan but sometimes in very rare cases it can break your monitor.
I personally think that as long as you don't go above 75, you should be safe. If you're really unlucky your monitor may break in ~2 years time and if you're Roy Cleveland Sullivan then maybe your monitor will break tomorrow.

Solution
Apr 21, 2020

Okay thanks for the Information.

Hopefully it should be okay. It's completely brand new, just recieved today, so hopefully there will be no early failures.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Tioym