My android phone battery extreme low cant flash rom

Syed Najabat Kamal

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Hi. I rooted my device with kingroot. after that my phone was not charging showing charge icon but not charging. charging 1% in 2 3 hours. when reached 3% after 12 hours charge. i turned phone on and uninstalled kingroot. but still same charge issue. after that i tried to flash rom but i am facing errors maybe due to low battery. i also tried many times to flash without battery but flash tool not detecting my phone. please help me revive my dead phone.

If all you did was install kingroot, that should not be the source of the problem. Turn your phone totally off, and try trickle charging it from something slow like a computer USB port. It may take some time for this to happen - you'll need to give it time. Check that your cable is not broken (ideally with another device that uses the same connection) and if not try substituting out the cable.

If you can charge fine and dandy after this point, wonderful. If you only get a bit of charge, but enough to stay on, try using a battery calibration app from the play store - I know this did the trick when I had a rooted ASUS that was basically running down to 30% battery instantly.

I would avoid doing any flashing until this is back in order - the last thing you want to do is half-flash something, because at that point you run a real risk of turning your phone into a paperweight.

Sometimes the battery gets messed up about how much it has and the smart communication (Designed to warn the OS about things like impending power off or charge completed) gets out of whack and your battery starts saying it has way less than it actually does - at which point the OS does what it's programmed to do and powers off. These apps can do some good in getting things back in order.

Syed Najabat Kamal

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
before formating phone, i use a trick which is, plug battery to the board and right after that connect phone to computer. this trick helps power on my phone back but same phone was only 1% battery. i was worried that why it is not charging taking hours to charge 1%. So i decided to format phone from format tab in sp flash tool. DA Download was passed but in bootloader at 100% which is purple bar, sp flash tool gave me an error com port failed i think. Now my phone is totally dead. not even powering on with the trick i have told above. I know it can be revive but i need full guidance how to.

if i am not wrong, kingroot damaged my os not battery.

maybe it is not flashing due to zero level of battery but why not flashing without battery?

Kingroot is software, and it doesn't touch the battery. I would presume it was more likely the flashing stuff. Why are you using kingroot anyway? If you can get a recovery to flash roms, I don't yet know of a device that hasn't gotten a formal way of doing root that has a custom recovery made.

Try trickle charging it. Getting it to turn on will be your first victory here. If you can't turn it on and you can't get into the necessary firmware recovery mode (such as QC Flash for Qualcomm) then I'm afraid you have very likely rendered your phone a brick if you're not willing to pay the manufacturer to fix it.

As to why it isn't flashing.... can you outline what you've actually done in some detail? Because there are inconsistencies here that lead me to believe you may have done things incorrectly and so cannot achieve the result you are expecting. Kingroot, for instance, is solely for root access. It doesn't let you flash ROMs.

Syed Najabat Kamal

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
I uninstalled kingroot. Does it unroots phone??? when SP flashtool was flashing the rom, when reached 25 or 30% yellow bar, it gave me an error i don't remember. now there is no rom in my phone. its dead. as u said it could be due to rooted phone but i uninstalled the kingroot before this, does it unrooted my phone after uninstalling???

Okay, I want you to answer these questions in detail and to the best of your ability. Please try and stop asking so many questions and instead giving me some answers. I can't help you if you don't. I don't want to jump around - we're going to take this one step at a time, and ensure we don't miss anything along the way. Give me some breadcrumbs, and I can hopefully lead you out of the forest.

1. What device are you using? Please give me at least its generic name, and preferably the exact model number.
2. Were there any tutorials you followed? Can you link them?
3. What did you do, as you understand it, exactly? Give me every data point you can recall, please.
5. What "ROM" did you flash? Please give me a file name.
6.Have you tried the trickle charging trick I mentioned?

Now, some small clarifications:
1. NO, I SAID KINGROOT DOES NOT DO THIS. Please read carefully, because any fix I'm going to be able to offer you will need to be followed exactly, and you are screwing around with things that, as you are painfully aware now, can potentially render your phone a brick.

Root has a special name, but it's just Administrative permissions. They're a native and integral part of the Android OS, available on every device. They're just hidden from the user for security reasons. When you "root" something, you just open up access to Administrative privileges; nothing else. It doesn't alter the device in a way that would cause these symptoms.

You know how on Windows, when you try and do something important, you get that "Admin permission required" asking for a password (if admin has one) and yes/no? Well, Android has that, it just is constructed so that the user never gets that kind of access, because they don't need it. The thing is, and the reason people force it, is because some apps can make use of these high level permissions to do some really neat stuff. A classic example would be an adblocker - the hosts file needed for this is protected on Android. Having admin access, aka, ROOT, lets the app edit and modify this file as required to block ads. If a person doesn't need root, they shouldn't enable it. It's not inherently bad, but it represents a security risk if one doesn't have a purpose for having it enabled.

My point here is simply that it's already a normal part of the operating system, on every single android device on the market. The user just normally does not have direct access to "root", and therefore, blaming this for your problems is not logical, since it'd cause problems for literally every other android user in the world if so.

2. No, uninstalling the Kingroot app does not unroot your phone. Kingroot is basically a "safe" virus that runs security exploits on your phone to get you access to root permissions. I ran it on a Sony phone to get root - it basically just makes the process easier, since for some devices it can be pretty onerous. Once these are obtained, they exist independently of the Kingroot app. There's a way to remove root, but we have other things to deal with right now, so let's stick to that for the time being, OK?

Finally, Please specifically address what I say, instead of just writing a response with more questions. I need to know explicitly that you are doing what I am suggesting, or if you're not. Implicit does not tell me this, as you may have forgotten or opted not to do it, and I need to know that.

It sounds to me like you probably turned your phone into a paperweight, but if you want to try and see if I'm wrong, I'm going to need cooperation.

Answer ALL of the questions, please. I'm putting in time to help you, but that's going to change quickly if you're not interested in showing the baseline respect of being attentive enough to put the time in to give me the answers I need to do so.

If you answer nothing else, I NEED you to answer these, or I literally cannot go further with this:
1. WHAT DID YOU DO THAT YOU REMEMBER DOING? Step by step, please. Was there a guide you were following? If so, can you link me?
2. What file did you flash? Can you please tell me the filename, and possibly where you got it from?

I'll let you know, it doesn't look good. If it's something minor, I can maybe help. As it stands, it's virtually certain you've corrupted something (I make this judgement on the basis of XDA-Developers - the forums of authority on Android, having numerous threads of people attempting to flash this phone - and all of them failing). Here's the trouble - if it is anything more involved than really basic stuff, I go to XDA to find the fix.

XDA doesn't have one. Therefore, I probably can't help, and I don't think anyone else can either. Answer the questions, and I can try, but don't expect much. You may need to seek the help of the manufacturer. If they can't, then you may need to consider buying a new phone.

You may do well to answer the questions anyway, but I'm sorry amigo - if it doesn't end up being something glaringly obvious to me, I don't think you're going to get a fix from anyone but a paid repair from the manufacturer.

Syed Najabat Kamal

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Ok let's start from the beginning. * Understand my English. Thank you

1. What device are you using? Please give me at least its generic name, and preferably the exact model number.
Ans. I am using Infinix Hot Note (Model: X551) (Mediatek device).

2. Were there any tutorials you followed? Can you link them?
Ans. No, I didn't followed any tutorial. I tried to install ROM like I normally flash ROM. Remember that I flashed this device more than 1 time. Its original ROM is Kitkat 4.4.2. Its custom lollipop ROM attracted me and i flashed it. After some months I again flashed stock kitkat ROM. I repeated this many times.

3. What did you do, as you understand it, exactly? Give me every data point you can recall, please.
Ans. My device have 1GB RAM. It became laggy and device became little slow and sometimes very slow plus hangs. I decided to root my phone using Kingroot and uninstalled some apps and boost my device. I used my device whole day. When Battery level dropped i pluged my phone with charger and after 30 mins i came and checked battery was still low but charging sign was showing. Phone was not charging. I tought it could be due to kingroot. Phone turned off due to low battery. I pluged my phone to socket and it took 3 hours to charge 1%. I turned on my phone and uninstalled kingroot. After that still battery not charging like normal.
One thing that i didnt done is factory reset but i have heard it doesnt unroots device. I decided to flash room. But battery was low and flash requires battery upto 40 or 50%. The thing is SP Flash tool was not flashing without battery option. It was not detecting my phone and when it detects i got random errors like device disconnected. Once it detected the phone, this time i choosed format option. i got errors there too after DA DOWNLOAD. then i gain came to flash rom. next day tried again. DA Download reached 100% after that when rom was flashing (yellow bar) when reached at mid, i got error i dont remember. After that, SP tool never detected my phone. I have tried many methods like insert battery and right after that plug used it will detect phone. there are couple of methods i uses to help sp tool detect my phone. same issue i got errors after DA DOWNLOAD 100%. Yesterday I took my phone to repair shop he said its dead. But what i can feel i can revive my phone. Never give up :)

5. What "ROM" did you flash? Please give me a file name.
Ans. I used same ROM that i flashed before. Even checked the other rom same issue. It all started after kingroot. I should have used kingroot :(
https://www.romkingz.net/2015/06/download-infinix-x551-stock-rom.html

6.Have you tried the trickle charging trick I mentioned?
Ans. Tried charging via charger and via PC too. Its not coming up.

It's not an issue with your English.... in some cases, you're just not answering questions. Can't answer 3 paragraphs with a sentence xD

Anyhow, with the information you've given me, I hate to say it mate, but.... I'm inclined to agree with the repair shop. Not only does this sort of bricking seem to be a fairly rampant problem with flashing this phone, but additionally I even have a few comments specifically mentioning the Lollipop rom as a culprit.

Unfortunately, every troubleshooting step you've tried is in line with what I'm seeing - the battery should have cancelled out any sort of lock in on the firmware repair mode (last resort on mediatek); unfortunately I can't find a button combination to get the phone back into this mode, but it seems to be the one you had to use to flash it in the first place. If i misunderstand and you didn't fully remove the battery, maybe there's hope? I found this, which seems to have met with success from some folks, but it's pretty involved and involves physical disassembly. Maybe fix?

The trouble is that if you can't get into this mode, it's extremely unlikely you can restore your phone firmware. What seems to have happened is a disconnect (perhaps a bad cable or some other issue) halfway through formatting your storage. This is problematic because the way these phones are partitioned tends to be almost per-device, and further it means that there's a good chance of operating system damage and corruption, hence your inability to boot it to flash a new ROM. A half-format is very dangerous for the same reasons you wouldn't want to cut power during a BIOS flash on your PC.... it damages the fundamentals required to do it again, and effectively locks you out, because that same system is the one that has to work to do anything to fix it. A chicken or egg problem, really.

I do apologize having you put all that work into answering my questions (perhaps someone else can still use it to try and help you though - and for future, you should make a habit of starting out with stuff like the device model and operating system version and any troubleshooting you've done prior in detail)... but I think it's beyond my familiarity to help you with this. I avoid MTK like the plague due to their anti-FOSS positions, and any analog it has with the Qualcomm recovery tools I've used seems to have been surpassed at this point.

So, in sum: I would agree with the shop. I am unfortunately fairly certain at this point you have managed to hard brick your device, and I foresee about the only people who can restore it for you being the manufacturer - however as I understand, SPtool is specialty anyhow, and evidently that's not working for you. If you wish to continue pursuing a fix, I would prioritize getting the engineering/firmware recovery mode working - without a connection to your PC, you're not going to get far at all. If you can get this mode working again through some miracle, that should open the floodgates and get you back up and running.

But yea, I'm not as positive as you are about your chances. Best of luck, but I'm fairly certain you've bricked it beyond the tools of men to fix. I hope its not an unduly large hit for you. I hear a bunch of Android one phones are releasing in India(?) soon, so hopefully if this one is dead you can find another one at a competitive price. Best of luck in your efforts, but I don't think they'll come to much.

Syed Najabat Kamal

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
I know i killed my device myself.... lol.. But thanks for the support and information. In future you get any info regarding my device, please do tell me. :wahoo: PEACE!!!

It is difficult to forget what you love and i love my device LOL.

I know Mediatek is very tempting for the low price, but a heads up - if you're inclined toward such modifications on a future device - Snapdragon SoC's are much better supported in general and Qualcomm is much nicer to the dev community, so getting custom content is not nearly as awkward.

Sorry it didn't work out, but at least it's a lesson learned.

Syed Najabat Kamal

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Yup! It was my second android device after Sony Xperia L. I also rooted Xperia L installed custom rom and it was running smoothy. First mistake i did is sold 1GB ram device because apps were updating daily and becoming more heavy for 1GB ram and bought 1GB ram infinix. only difference was xperia was dual core and infinix was octa core. and second mistake is rooting current device. dont have job cant buy new phone. looking for job. studying BSIT online.
now my eyes are on Samsung Note Edge which costs around 150$ used. i only can save, collect and afford 150$ device. if you know any device better than note edge do tell me. I like it's edge thats why i want it and yes 3GB ram and 5.6 screen. 0.1 higher that my infinix :)