My ASUS GTX 470 is burned

muhco3

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I purchased that GPU in June 1st for 350 $ and since then I had that problem which is the fan was always running at 100% and doesn't response to and modification or fan profiles that I made using varies software , I was suffering along the past three months , until I smelled something burning and I saw a smoke coming from the GPU as well , :cry:

The conclusion :

I have a big Disappointment in ASUS , I thought the customer support will be more professional than that , the told me to send it back to get a replacement , but I was intend to get a refund .

So , my point is to share my experience with that GPU which is never buy :non: GTX 470 reference card especially from ASUS ..

I think the new GTX 470 model with improved cooling from MSI or ZOTAC will be much better , ,

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Uhm, you clearly had a faulty card from the get-go, why wouldnt you return it orginally for a new one?

Sorry, this one is clearly on you, not Asus.

Asus makes great products, just because your GPU died on you does not necessarily mean it was the manufactures fault and if it was then you had plenty time to return it. Second, in order for you to qualify for a refund or an exchange you need to understand that the limit is 30 days. That said all you need to do is fill out an RMA form or place it directly by phone with an Asus rep in order to get a new card in the mail.

I think Asus generally uses pretty high quality components. The great thing about living in the Silicon Valley is, in the past I have returned hardware just by driving it over to the manufacturer's site for a direct exchange.

muhco3

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks every one ,

Yes , I'm about send it back to ASUS , I know ASUS is one of the best brands , but please understand my feelings , just imagine that you bulit a PC which cost me around 2200 $ and I figured out that my GPU is damaged !!

It happens, just make sure you install MSI Afterburner and create a fan curve to keep your card nice n cool.

Keep us posted once you get the new card ;)

This is why I only bought the 460 instead, its Fermi 1.1 and doesn't have as many issues as the older one. Less heat and more efficient. But sadly we still don't get the full power of the chip. One disabled SP block and the Dispatch/scheduling units or what ever they are called that provides and receives the work to and from each shader gets flooded. There is a few articles about this drawback. This is one reason why Fermi is unable to fully compete with ATI's offering performance wise. But few know that ATI's shader architecture comes at a price and we again are not getting the full power of their gpus. So it's Super Size Me by adding more shaders to make up for losses on the older cards but that is a catch 22.

I bet you don't own one. I have a GTX480, no regrets, especially when I am playing any game at all with maxed out settings and blowing away any other card on the planet. If you really believe that the heat and noise are an issue, then you just don't live with one day in and day out. It's just not a big deal. Instead, you are missing out on the performance offered by the best card in the world (at least for the next couple months).

muhco3

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Do I need to do it even with the new card ? ""when I receive it !"

I'll post a thread as soon as I receive mine .

Thank you ,,

When I opened the cover I found one cubic in shape , silver piece named 1R0 is completely burned .

I have uploaded a photo for you ,

Thank you ,,

Fermi is a great generation , but I think the non reference cards now came with improved cooling and reduced noise and some come overclocked as well .

nforce4max : thank you ,

matto17secs : there is no dispute on Fermi performance !! thank you .

letsgetsteve

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
thats one toasted vreg! nice! hope the next one isnt faulty so you can crank it and really enjoy it next time.

on another plznote dont knock it till you try it.

He didn't oc, this was a bad coil, yes they hid coils in a way these days. Basically you had a short and the coil burned out. It can be fixed but you will need the right tool for the job and a replacement part but in the end its Asus's responsibility to replace your card as it was a defect.

muhco3

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Oh yeah it is :D , I think it need at least two weeks from now to get the new card .

Thank you ,,

This time, don't overclock it so much.

I didn't overclock it :cry: ,, I wish if I did ,

What do you think the cause of the short ?

I have ver nice power supply from Antec "Truepower new 750W" ,

I want to avoid this problem next time ,,

Thank you

muhco3

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Thank you for the quick response ,,

So you think it's just a faulty GPU ?

I tried to get a refund , because I was considering to buy a non reference one .