My Asus Motherboard Does not Support my CPU?!

Jul 14, 2018
I have an Asus M5A78L-M LX3 motherboard and an AMD FX 8320 CPU. On the system bootup I get the following error message:

"This CPU is not supported by this model. Please check CPU QVL on ASUS website".

https://postimg.cc/image/o2x3ckeml/

Although, i can still bootup and my system runs fine. I can even game.

Solution

Hello Petar,

The message you are receiving from your motherboard is correct. The CPU you are using is not compatible with the motherboard because of the following:
1. The motherboard supports up to 95w CPUs
2. FX-8320 is a 125w part.

It still boots and will work for light use, however, I will strongly advise against stressing the computer (such as gaming) because it will make the CPU draw more power than the motherboard...

bignastyid

Titan
That board was not designed to support a 125w CPU like the FX 8320. It has a small VRM setup so when the the cpu is stressed they will be overloaded and will end up throttling the cpu to 1.4Ghz. This extra stress is also likely to end up eventually killing the motherboard.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

For now. The problem with these budget boards is they're not designed to handle the output of a 125W CPU. Your motherboard officially supports no 125W CPUs, only up to 95W CPUs. If you fully load your CPU, I would not be surprised to see throttling. It would also not be surprising if this motherboard has a rather short lifespan given the stress you're putting on an inadequate set of voltage regulator modules.

plazmakill

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

Hello Petar,

The message you are receiving from your motherboard is correct. The CPU you are using is not compatible with the motherboard because of the following:
1. The motherboard supports up to 95w CPUs
2. FX-8320 is a 125w part.

It still boots and will work for light use, however, I will strongly advise against stressing the computer (such as gaming) because it will make the CPU draw more power than the motherboard can safely provide. (This depends on many factors...)

This must be asked:
What do you want to do?
Do you need to continue using this CPU for the time being? (It can probably be downclocked - downvolted)
Do you want to get a different CPU for this board? (For example: There is a 95w version: FX-8320e (FD832EWMW8KHK) )

Regards

Solution