Question my case impedes on my gpu cooling

Feb 25, 2022
My 3060 seems to be overheating and underperforming due to the case having little breathing room, as its fan is pointed directed at the roof of the psu shell

here's the case model https://nzxt.com/product/h210

my mobo is a Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI

would there be any way I could orient the GPU so it gets better airflow?
or should I just purchase a new case? if so, what case would yall recommend

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
H210 will only mount a 2 slot rear, so at most that 3060 is 2.5 slots, which leaves plenty of room for air under the gpu. That's not including the fact the top of the psu shroud is perforated, so airflow from the bottom intake should also be making its way out there. Eventually.
My 3060 seems to be overheating and underperforming
It does? How so? And you know for sure it's the case, before loading the parts cannon. It couldn't possibly be the game settings or even the usage or gpu settings like trying to push 1440p with Ray Tracing?

Oh and I'll add that out of all the H series cases, the 210 has the best airflow, the 510 is the worst.

You need to come up off the info, like case setup, gpu model, fans, placement, games tested, temps under gaming and idle and stress etc. The more info you give, the better will be the answers because it's almost never the fault of the case design with well known cases.

Feb 25, 2022
H210 will only mount a 2 slot rear, so at most that 3060 is 2.5 slots, which leaves plenty of room for air under the gpu. That's not including the fact the top of the psu shroud is perforated, so airflow from the bottom intake should also be making its way out there. Eventually.

It does? How so? And you know for sure it's the case, before loading the parts cannon. It couldn't possibly be the game settings or even the usage or gpu settings like trying to push 1440p with Ray Tracing?

Oh and I'll add that out of all the H series cases, the 210 has the best airflow, the 510 is the worst.

You need to come up off the info, like case setup, gpu model, fans, placement, games tested, temps under gaming and idle and stress etc. The more info you give, the better will be the answers because it's almost never the fault of the case design with well known cases.

I'm running moderate settings on the new call of duty game and getting 85 frames on average, 90-110 on overwatch, 60 on elden ring, all at 1080 res, I'm not doing anything crazy with it, it seems I'm averaging 75-85 celsius on my gpu I'm not familiar with the layout of this forum and how to upload photos.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
This forum is about pc issues. Figuring that, many issues are inadvertent malware or virus or Trojan related, and those get tied into anything outgoing from the users pc. So this forum put a no-go on direct uploads to the forum, just so they don't spend all day and multiple ppl trying to figure out what virus or malware just killed the site.

To post photos requires a 3rd party site, like imgur.com or postimages.org etc and the pictures get linked to that site, not a direct upload. It's like having triple layer malware protection and virus firewall.

Feb 25, 2022
instead of using an 8 pin connector, would a 6 and 2 pin connector from my GPU and psu mess up performance? I spoke with my friend on the subject and he said it does, a second opinion would be cool

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

If you look at the actual pinout differences between a 8pin or 4+4pin CPU/EPS and a 8pin or 6+2pin PCIE, you'll see they are exact opposite in layout. The last thing you want to do is get those mixed up. Not exactly sure what you are asking, because regardless of EPS or PCIE, a 4+4 = 8pin and a 6+2 = 8pin. They do not detract or add to performance in any way, shape or form. Don't know exactly what your 'friend' was trying to imply either, but whatever the power connector requirements are for, if you need an 8pin, it gets either a 4+4 or a 6+2.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
my specs are a 3060ti 12 gb ddr6, ryzen 5 3600, 16 gb ram 3200mhz, plat rated evga 650watt psu; what could be bottle necking my performance?
I'm running moderate settings on the new call of duty game and getting 85 frames on average, 90-110 on overwatch, 60 on elden ring, all at 1080 res, I'm not doing anything crazy with it, it seems I'm averaging 75-85 celsius on my gpu I'm not familiar with the layout of this forum and how to upload photos.
Underperforming according to whom? Moderate settings in game or global? Ray Tracing on? DLSS? 4k DSR? Xbox game helper/DVR? Is fclock set to 1600? Any tweaks to dram or voltages? Ram in right slots? All 16Gb accounted for or is half of it Hardware Reserved.

The gpu is exactly where it's supposed to be with temps, so overheating isn't even on the table.

Fps is a CPU measurement, not a GPU measurement, with fps the GPU is a limiting factor, not the source. That said, at 1080p High, a 3060ti is capable of 200+ fps, IF the cpu can deliver that amount.

You keep blaming the gpu, but I strongly suspect it's a setting or 3, or a cpu issue, as in not delivering the fps to start with.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022
Underperforming according to whom? Moderate settings in game or global? Ray Tracing on? DLSS? 4k DSR? Xbox game helper/DVR? Is fclock set to 1600? Any tweaks to dram or voltages? Ram in right slots? All 16Gb accounted for or is half of it Hardware Reserved.

The gpu is exactly where it's supposed to be with temps, so overheating isn't even on the table.

Fps is a CPU measurement, not a GPU measurement, with fps the GPU is a limiting factor, not the source. That said, at 1080p High, a 3060ti is capable of 200+ fps, IF the cpu can deliver that amount.

You keep blaming the gpu, but I strongly suspect it's a setting or 3, or a cpu issue, as in not delivering the fps to start with.
so the CPU is the limiting factor?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Test it. Put the preset on low, then on high. If the gpu is the limiting factor, fps will drop like a rock. If cpu is the limiting factor then fps will not drop by much.

Understand that those presets include cpu and gpu settings and affects, which is why you don't use ultra to test with.

Are you using Geforce Experience? If so, check the settings to see if it's using a 4k DSR, which will give a far better quality picture, at the expense of performance.