My computer crashed

stephens_doc

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hello, my computer stopped working and it will say that it is starting up. then I get this blue screen that says " a problem has been detected and windows has shutdown to protect your computer". Then it says " PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". I am not quite sure what any of this means but it will not go to the windows start up menu. it also will not let me restart the computer in safe mode. How do i fix it?

stephens_doc

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
My computer says that a problem was detected and windows shutdown to protect my computer. then it says "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". it says that i should restart the computer and if this does not work. try restarting in safe mode and fix whatever problem is wrong in BIOS system or something like this. I tried to restart in safe mode but got the same blue screen with the same message.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
That's a classic sign of memory failure. If you have more than one RAM module, I suggest you take one out and try to boot again. If it fails, try the other RAM module. If you can find someone to borrow RAM from, then try it. If it still fails, then it's probably a motherboard issue.

stephens_doc

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
That's a classic sign of memory failure. If you have more than one RAM module, I suggest you take one out and try to boot again. If it fails, try the other RAM module. If you can find someone to borrow RAM from, then try it. If it still fails, then it's probably a motherboard issue.
Hello gracefully, thank you so much for responding. I am afraid I don't really understand what you mean? I am not sure how to locate my ram module to take it out. I know if might require further instruction but would you mind explaining to me in more detail how to go about removing the module.

stephens_doc

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

No. I think i misplaced the windows disk that I had. I was wondering if there was somewhere I could go to download one and make a CD to install in the computer?

Take the side/top off your machine, look at the motherboard for long sticks of memory in slots with little catches on the side.

Leave only one in and use a windows vista/7 boot dvd and choose the repair option to check memory is ok and repeat for each stick of ram, until one fails.