[SOLVED] My Computer does not detect my hard drive sometimes

xBHSx

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
i had 3 hard drives and then i bought a new SSD for my OS... now my PC has problems detecting one of my hard drive... its sometimes detected and sometimes not... i dont know whats the problem.. i checked the hard drive cables they were fine

Solution
While changing the SATA ports, you will have to reorder the boot priority in BIOS as well.

Did you replace the SATA data cable of this HDD?
Check the windows event viewer for disk errors. Is it always this one hard drive?
Use a different SATA port, sata power connector and replace the sata data cable of it. check the hard drive for errors with its manufacturers tool

Which motherboard are you using?

xBHSx

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
Check the windows event viewer for disk errors. Is it always this one hard drive?
Use a different SATA port, sata power connector and replace the sata data cable of it. check the hard drive for errors with its manufacturers tool

Which motherboard are you using?
yes its this one hard drive.. i did used different SATA ports but that was giving me errors during boot times... and the motherboard model is DELL 0TP412 it is a workstation PC

xBHSx

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
Which errors did come up?
Check the hard drive for errors with its manufacturer´s tool

Was this a boot drive?

Are 4 hard drives installed currently?

Eventually update the firmware of the hard drive (backup data before)
https://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/dedhs1/product-support/product/precision-t3400/drivers
This drive was not the boot drive... and yeah all four hard drives are installed correctly and i cant update the firmware as some of the setups that i downloaded were not compatible with Windows 10.. and now i had to disable the drive from the BIOS as i cant turn on my PC if the drive is enabled..

xBHSx

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
1st. You may check the drive in Disk Management to see if it has wrong file system. If yes, delete the drive and create new partitions with NTFS or older FAT32 file system to make Windows recognize it.

2nd. Check if there's something wrong with the hard drive. To fix the logical errors, you can use Command Prompt with command chkdsk h: /f (h is the checked hard drive). Or turn to some professional disk manager tool.
well the hard drive is not being detected at all.. so i cant check it in Disk Management.. and now i had to disable the hard drive from BIOS because i had problems starting my PC

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS