Question My computer drops frames in every game I play and I do not know how to fix it.

Jun 19, 2020
Just as the title suggests I have for a while now had problems in all of the games that I play. The framerate will be steady for a while and then randomly drop to single digit frames for a couple seconds, making me unable to play the game. I have tried updating drivers, reinstalling drivers, I have reapplied thermal paste, tried a new hard drive, and tried every solution I can find in terms of software issues. The specs for my PC are
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 six core processor
32 gb installed ram
Geforce gtx 1070 ti graphics card,
picture of my computer
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/0AKfTrj

if you have any suggestions on what I should be doing to get rid of this problem i would greatly appreciate them thank you

Just as the title suggests I have for a while now had problems in all of the games that I play. The framerate will be steady for a while and then randomly drop to single digit frames for a couple seconds, making me unable to play the game. I have tried updating drivers, reinstalling drivers, I have reapplied thermal paste, tried a new hard drive, and tried every solution I can find in terms of software issues. The specs for my PC are
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 six core processor
32 gb installed ram
Geforce gtx 1070 ti graphics card,
picture of my computer
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/0AKfTrj

if you have any suggestions on what I should be doing to get rid of this problem i would greatly appreciate them thank you
Do you have an SSD ?

Jun 19, 2020
How much memory does your 1070ti have ? What resolution are you gaming at ? 1080p, 1440, 4k ? What quality settings are you running ?

Have you rebooted your internet modem and router (if you have one) ?
I am gaming at 1920 x 1080. Checking my GPU memory clock I have 4004.000 MHZ. I usually play League of legends, Enter the Gungeon, Valorant, The Walking Dead and Watchdogs 2, and lowering the quality of the settings has not really had an impact in improving the performance. I have rebooted my router and it has had no impact, I believe my internet connection is fine.

Jun 19, 2020
Windows up to date?
BIOS and Drivers up to date?
When did this started?
What changed?
What have you tried soo far?
Did you made a clean install of Windows + drivers?
Whats you CPU and GPU temps while gaming?
Windows is up to date.
I have not updated my BIOS I will try that.
This started a couple months ago.
I did not change anything besides updating drivers regularly as well as windows.
I have updated my GPU drivers, I have tried overclocking with msi afterburner, I have tried setting settings low in game, I have tried replacing the hard drive, I have done memory leak solutions, I have installed an extra 16GB of RAM.

CPU never goes above low 60C and GPU never goes above 50C

D

Deleted member 14196

updating drivers can do it. try older drivers for your GPU. sometimes the latest ones are buggy. use DDU to remove all old graphics drivers.

if everything is working fine, DO NOT update drivers to avoid this. why fix what isn't broken? also, DO NOT update the bios, it was not the problem before and it IS NOT THE PROBLEM NOW.

you only should update bios when you need to add support for new hardware such as cpu and such, and for MAJOR bug fixes (a case where you have a specific problem and the BIOS addresses that bug) or security fixes. Again, don't fix what isn't broken, it used to work and suddenly doesn't, it's guaranteed NOT the bios. it is most likely your mix of drivers.

i would try a system restore back to where it worked good, then, leave it alone if everything works fine, just let windows update itself.

Jun 19, 2020
Update: I did a clean reinstall of windows and it seems to have fixed the problem! All games are working great, no fps dips and fps is steady at 120. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Reactions: RodroX
Jun 19, 2020
Month update: The clean reinstall of windows helped but now the frame drops are back. I still don't know what the issue is. This is very frustrating. I do not want to have to keep resetting windows every month just to have the computer do the bare minimum for its hardware. I have been considering buying new hardware but that is extremely expensive and I have no real way of knowing for sure that it is a hardware issue.

Jun 19, 2020
Update for August 25th. Still don't know what is causing the frame drops. When they happen I look at the msi afterburner display and nothing changes other than the frame rate and the utilization for the gpu and cpu going down. I think it might be my internet because I've tried literally every other solution I can find and nothing has been a permanent solution. I don't want to buy an expensive cpu or gpu just to have the problem continue if it is the internet but honestly I have no way of telling at this point what it is. Any help is appreciated thank you very much to all those who have helped me in this thread previously.