[SOLVED] My computer immediately shuts down when connected to GPU

Jun 5, 2020
My specs:

ryzen 2200g + deepcool 400 cooler

Asrock b450m hdv R4.0

xfx xxx edition rx 580 8gb

4gb ram (x2)

cx550 corsair psu

So yesterday i was playing witcher 3 and i left my computer on for a bit, when i came back and used it again it immediately shut down and wouldnt turn on. So after multiple tries i noticed the same thing over and over again. When i boot the computer while its connected to the gpu it turns on for a split second and immediately turns off.

So i removed the psu connection to gpu and tried again this time it turned on.

I think what happened is my gpu overheated or something and it turned off. Im rlly worried as my gpu is fairly new(less than 3 months old).

The only brightside from all this is that my 3 month warranty was gonna expire the next day and i emailed the seller for an RMA. But im still not sure if i can rma this thing as its warranty is almost over.

I think i have a dead gpu but when i boot the computer with gpu connected to mobo (no psu connection to gpu) the pc turns on with a red light on the gpu.

Id really appreciate any help as i spent the whole day trying to fix it with no luck.

And also final note when my pc first shut down unexpectedly because of overheating i smelled the gpu for any smoke but there was no smell at all.

solutions i tired:

1- Resetting bios by removing cmos battery.

2- Reconnecting all cables.

3- Changing 6pin +2pin connector

4- trying almost everything on youtube

Thanks in advance to anyone replying to this

Solution
then it overheat.

I just checked my HTPC which has RX 580 with 500Watt PSU. at idle its 36 degree and while playing my GPU can only reach 50 Degree.

Maybe your PC case is the problem. My case front have 2 120mm fan for intake (pulling air) and 1 on top and 1 on back as pushing the air.. I also have Zero RPM which only start when my gpu reach 60 Degree which really never happened on my case.

Gf0hCMo.png

Your case is probably one of those closed silent. Does not have intake air only 1 fan on back..best gpu for that case would be blower fan type.

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
My specs:

ryzen 2200g + deepcool 400 cooler

Asrock b450m hdv R4.0

xfx xxx edition rx 580 8gb

4gb ram (x2)

cx550 corsair psu

So yesterday i was playing witcher 3 and i left my computer on for a bit, when i came back and used it again it immediately shut down and wouldnt turn on. So after multiple tries i noticed the same thing over and over again. When i boot the computer while its connected to the gpu it turns on for a split second and immediately turns off.

So i removed the psu connection to gpu and tried again this time it turned on.

I think what happened is my gpu overheated or something and it turned off. Im rlly worried as my gpu is fairly new(less than 3 months old).

The only brightside from all this is that my 3 month warranty was gonna expire the next day and i emailed the seller for an RMA. But im still not sure if i can rma this thing as its warranty is almost over.

I think i have a dead gpu but when i boot the computer with gpu connected to mobo (no psu connection to gpu) the pc turns on with a red light on the gpu.

Id really appreciate any help as i spent the whole day trying to fix it with no luck.

And also final note when my pc first shut down unexpectedly because of overheating i smelled the gpu for any smoke but there was no smell at all.

solutions i tired:

1- Resetting bios by removing cmos battery.

2- Reconnecting all cables.

3- Changing 6pin +2pin connector

4- trying almost everything on youtube

Thanks in advance to anyone replying to this
First of all pullout the gpu and put in other slot and see if it works download msi afterburner which will monitor your gpu temperature then see the temps anything high than 80c is dangerous.

Jun 5, 2020
First of all pullout the gpu and put in other slot and see if it works download msi afterburner which will monitor your gpu temperature then see the temps anything high than 80c is dangerous.
Thanks for your reply.
My motherboard unfortunately only has one slot its a b450m, so i cant rlly use it.
im planning to take the gpu to a computer shop to check if it works on another pc.
Higher than 80? dude while playing withcer 3 my avg temp was above 80 and i think thats prbly why it shut down.

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Thanks for your reply.
My motherboard unfortunately only has one slot its a b450m, so i cant rlly use it.
im planning to take the gpu to a computer shop to check if it works on another pc.
Higher than 80? dude while playing withcer 3 my avg temp was above 80 and i think thats prbly why it shut down.
That’s isn’t normal can you tell me which rx 580 model you have +is it used or new?

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
then it overheat.

I just checked my HTPC which has RX 580 with 500Watt PSU. at idle its 36 degree and while playing my GPU can only reach 50 Degree.

Maybe your PC case is the problem. My case front have 2 120mm fan for intake (pulling air) and 1 on top and 1 on back as pushing the air.. I also have Zero RPM which only start when my gpu reach 60 Degree which really never happened on my case.

Gf0hCMo.png

Your case is probably one of those closed silent. Does not have intake air only 1 fan on back..best gpu for that case would be blower fan type.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 5, 2020
then it overheat.

Gf0hCMo.png

Yh i think your right, my case only has one fan, it probably overheated bc of no airflow.
but still its weird that the entire gpu crashed. I contacted the seller and he says hell pick it up tommorow (warranty).
Thx for the help guys

Reactions: M.AGamer