[SOLVED] My computer is getting random blue checkerboard pixels on the screen and then the monitor turns off and sometimes it restarts my computer?

sir_squab7

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
I recently just built my first PC. Here are the specs:
ryzen 5 3600
XFX GTS RX580
b450m tomahawk max
16 gb corsair vengeance ram
EVGA BQ 650W bronze rated

Here is a picture of what happens on my screen before my monitor turns off: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/Hv1NW20

I just noticed that sometimes a red LED light pops up when this happens for my CPU LED light. I don't know what is causing this. I have unistalled and reinstalled the chipset and graphics drivers multiple times with DDU. My PC restarts and I sometimes get the BSOD which says tdr_failure. I just got my power supply so I don't know what to think. Please help.

Solution
Plug it into a TV with HDMI and see if you get the same thing happening.
You say this happens when your display goes to turn off, do you mean when the computer power plan settings make the display turn off or putting the PC to sleep?

Does it do this any other time?
Tldr is for graphics, and getting that error for BSOD should be related to graphics.

But you've done a clean install of Windows already and tried DDU and have gotten a new card as well.

So try using your TV and see if you get any issues with that, because if so, then it's not the monitor.

If you have fully tested all your RAM and determined it's not the issue, then it's possible the motherboard or CPU.

Try using a different cable to connect to the monitor to make sure...
More information, please. How long from turning on the PC until the monitor freaks out or is it instantaneous at boot? Does your case have adequate air flow for cooling and are the case fans and fans on your video card spinning up?
This looks like a video card problem, and if the build is new you should be able to RMA the vid. card.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I agree, if this is a brand new build, and so you've not had any old drivers installed before or for a different card, then I think the card is just bad and you need to RMA it, but more details as asked by nostall would be great.

Have you made sure to install the latest drivers direct from AMD website? Or are you using whatever windows installed for you?

sir_squab7

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
More information, please. How long from turning on the PC until the monitor freaks out or is it instantaneous at boot? Does your case have adequate air flow for cooling and are the case fans and fans on your video card spinning up?
This looks like a video card problem, and if the build is new you should be able to RMA the vid. card.
I have my pc on for awhile it just randomly happens like when I look at a gif. For some reason it doesn't happen when I am playing a game. My case has good airflow with multiple fans, at idle both cpu and gpu are at 33 degrees celsius. I threw out my old gpu cardboard case I think so can I still RMA?

sir_squab7

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
I agree, if this is a brand new build, and so you've not had any old drivers installed before or for a different card, then I think the card is just bad and you need to RMA it, but more details as asked by nostall would be great.

Have you made sure to install the latest drivers direct from AMD website? Or are you using whatever windows installed for you?
I downloaded the drivers directly from the AMD website. Can I still RMA if I threw out the box. Do I need like a identification code I can find on my computer? I got it via Amazon. Thanks for the help. I just want to make sure it is not the power supply. If I can get my money back and went with a nvidia card would I have problems? Thanks.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if you got it via Amazon, then you have an receipt for it in email as well as on your account.
the RMA would be done via this receipt as well as the product number that is on the card itself.

I don't think the box matters as they don't assume you will keep the box.
And most likely, for the RMA they won't send you one in a box, they will most likely send it hand packaged.

But why throw away a good box like that? it helps with reselling it on the used market at the very least if having a box on a shelf means nothing to you, or for the sake of storing it when you upgrade if you don't sell your old card whenever you do upgrades, so that it's there as a backup troubleshooting option for you to pop into your system.

But I digress.
In regards to RMA, no, you don't need the box.
RMA is done with the board partner directly though, not through Amazon.
And takes time since you have to mail it.
And will have to pay the price for packaging it safely so that it doesn't get damaged during transport to the card manufacturer (another reason to keep the box)

As for why it does this when doing something as simple as looking at a gif online, but not when under heavy load while gaming, then there I would think there is something else going on here that might be unrelated to the GPU.

Check that your power cables are all properly and FIRMLY connected (and when I say firmly, I mean not even a hair thin amount of disconnection)

1st: yes, you can still RMA the video card. They actually tell you don't need to use the original box, that it will not be returned. Qwerky just mentioned something else; if the card is Really new you might be able to return/exchange it with Amazon rather then AMD.
I understand your frustration with the new video card but we have all purchased new computer parts only to have them be defective or d.o.a. Sad, but it happens. (quick count; 2 video cards, one hi-end psu).
2nd; Your PSU. Please review both these Tom's Hardware posts re. power supplies. Unfortunately your BQ is not generally considered a high quality unit. Personally I don't think it is your problem, but you never know. I didn't think my PSU was causing problems until I replaced it (borrowed a working unit from a friend) this weekend and my video and pc crashes went away.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
in regards to returing to Amazon, I wouldn't do that.
Amazon will only throw it away into a landfill rather than try to properly dispose of it/recycle it.

I would personally send it to XFX as they will definitely recycle what they can from it or even properly refurbish it replacing whatever component is bad if it's doable and then resell it as refurbished so that it gets used instead of going to a landfill.

But it's entirely up to you what you want to do.

Amazon will be faster (hopefully) in regards to getting a replacement but will throw the card away into a landfill.

XFX will take longer, but the card will be properly dealt with and not thrown into a landfill.

Reactions: Phaaze88

sir_squab7

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
I recently just built my first PC. Here are the specs:
ryzen 5 3600
XFX GTS RX580
b450m tomahawk max
16 gb corsair vengeance ram
EVGA BQ 650W bronze rated

Here is a picture of what happens on my screen before my monitor turns off: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/Hv1NW20

I just noticed that sometimes a red LED light pops up when this happens for my CPU LED light. I don't know what is causing this. I have unistalled and reinstalled the chipset and graphics drivers multiple times with DDU. My PC restarts and I sometimes get the BSOD which says tdr_failure. I just got my power supply so I don't know what to think. Please help.
I RMA'd and got a new one of the same card and am still having the same problem I DDU'd multiple times...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Plug it into a TV with HDMI and see if you get the same thing happening.
You say this happens when your display goes to turn off, do you mean when the computer power plan settings make the display turn off or putting the PC to sleep?

Does it do this any other time?
Tldr is for graphics, and getting that error for BSOD should be related to graphics.

But you've done a clean install of Windows already and tried DDU and have gotten a new card as well.

So try using your TV and see if you get any issues with that, because if so, then it's not the monitor.

If you have fully tested all your RAM and determined it's not the issue, then it's possible the motherboard or CPU.

Try using a different cable to connect to the monitor to make sure it's not the cable either.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS