My computer is restarting! How do I fix it?

Finalshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Lately after a while my computer is shutting down and restarting whenever. So we think It's overheating.

We just installed a Corsair Hydro Series H55 Intel & AMD

What I have:
ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor 3.80GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
ATI RD9x0
64- bit Operating system
8.00 GB (RAM)
Windows 7 Ultimate

It's still shutting down and restarting back after a while. Now I'm thinking the computer is not getting enough power supply, or it's still overheating. When I turn the power on I'm only able to get about 2-3 hrs to play before it restarts. After that the time limit to play gets lower from 1hr30 to 30min to 15min.

I've been recording the Temperatures lately. Everything is normal except that I noticed that the Processor AMD FX Energy Power went from 70.0 W to 39.60 W in 5 min. I'm a beginner so I'm not so sure if that is normal or not.

I recorded the temperatures ingame:
In lobby game: 00:00:00
GPU: 41 C 21% 540MHz
MEM: 810MHz

Ingame: 00:03:22
GPU: 50 C 23% 1058MHz
MEM: 2499MHz

PC restarts didn't get chance to see the temp.

00:00:00 Lobby
GPU: 37 C 21% 540MHz
MEM: 810MHz

00:01:13 Ingame
GPU: 56 C 24% 1006MHz
MEM: 2499MHz

00:06:46 Ingame before restart
GPU: 60 C 23% 1058MHz
MEM: 2449MHz

MAX TEMPEPTURE:

CPU 0 - 12.4 C
CPU Package - 12.4 C
CPU - 41.0 C

GPU - 35 C

SYTIN(1-3) - 35 C

Power Supply
DC Output - +3.3V - +5V - +12V - -12V - +5Vsb
Max Output - 24A - 24A - 44A - 0.5A - 2.5A
Max combined - 130W - 528W - 6W - 12.5W

When I start a program like PC Wizard half of the screen goes glitchy for a few seconds. And when a game glitches the whole screen freezes and I can't do anything. I am not sure if this affects anything but I noticed on the PSU voltage +3.3V it said 3.184V when the other voltages were greater.

If I ever go to the Windows Start and click the shut down it won't turn on after a couple hours. and after a couple restarts if I tilt the pc gently the computer turns off and restarts again!

fliger5

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
If you want to find out if the temps are the problem, you should run Prime95 while observing the temps through a program like CPU-Z or Speccy, then write down the last temp before it shuts down and post it here. Normally AMD CPUs should not run hotter than 60-70°C.

Also, did the problem start after the installation of the Corsair H55, or was the problem already happening and you thought the Corsair AIO would fix it? Usually the problem is caused by (1) power, (2) heat (3) or software.

(1) You'll answer this when you respond back about your power supply mfg/model
(2) Open your case and turn the computer on it's side, with the motherboard facing toward the ceiling. Leave the computer on and do whatever you normally do in order to restart it. I assume it's gaming. Does it still happen? I believe you that your GPU and CPU aren't overheating. But I'm wondering if your chipset is overheating. If so, that would cause a restart
(3) Reinstall drivers in the following manner: Uninstall drivers with DDU -> reboot -> download and reinstall drivers only (not Geforce Experience) -> reboot again. Problem still happening?

Finalshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

Power Supply model
DC Output - +3.3V - +5V - +12V - -12V - +5Vsb
Max Output - 24A - 24A - 44A - 0.5A - 2.5A
Max combined - 130W - 528W - 6W - 12.5W

Total power: 550W

Finalshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

It's a TS xfx MODEL-XPS- 550W - SEW , size is normal and its 1 1/2 years old

Finalshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

The problem started before the installation. I never installed any big softwares (only songs from trusted websites), and It was starting to get hotter in here because more people were in my room. It restarts faster when playing games or having many programs working at the same time.

Please try my suggestion about opening the case. Also, while you're doing that, could you list your case mfg/model? A photo would be helpful too. You might be able to remove a few drive cages to help airflow and also moving components around might also help. You could mount the SSD on the back of the motherboard and remove all drive cages all together. Swapping case fans may be an option. This is assuming that we confirm that heat is the issue here.

Based on what you have stated, I am thinking that your power supply is failing. Your 3.3V side is very weak. I am not there and can not test the rest of the power supply, so I can not be certain. I would be willing to say that when you start pulling load on the Power Supply that the voltages drop too low, and basically this causes components or the entire computer to crash.

Finalshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

I opened the case and I am going to try and mount the SSD. the pc shut down and restarted even when I just tilted the pc. I'm am still new to this so can you explain what a mfg/model is?

No picture posted yet. I presume that you're working on uploading it now.

Well I'm assuming that this computer was built for you and it's not a pre-built HP or something. For example, my case is a Phantek's Pro (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003&cm_re=phanteks_pro-_-11-854-003-_-Product)

Finalshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

It was built for me by my brother, and he isn't helping me, he said "go solve it yourself." the picture is on my last reply

When you put it on it's side, it won't turn on? Sounds like the power cord at the back of the computer is loose. When the computer is turn off, I would unplug that cable (normally black colored) from the back of the computer's power supply and plug it back in securely. The orientation of the computer shouldn't prevent it from turning on.

Great photo! What is that card above your graphics card? Is it a sound card? If possible can you move it to another slot or temporarily remove it. Obviously power down your computer and unplug the power before moving the card.

PS: I so wish I was in front of this computer, so that I could do some cable manage it. But that's not related to your problem =>

Honestly, I now think your computer is restarting because of a loose power cable. But try my suggestions about moving that card above you graphics card anyway. I have a feeling that reseating the power cable; the one that runs from the electrical outlet to the back of your computer's power supply.

Finalshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

I only had a update during the restart crises. above the graphics card is the GPU or CPU I think.