My computer just freezes randomly and i gotta hard reboot it.

niksonrex88

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
I got this problem since i went from win7 to 10 than back to 7.
I did the Memory Diagnostic Tool in windows it found no problems in the ram.

I tried lowering the overclock nothing, swapped power supplies nothing.

What im thinking is that it might be some software error. It doesnt have a specific pattern. It just happens.

I turned youtube on loop in safe mode and left it for 15h and the freeze didnt happen. Which kinda makes me even more sure its some software issue.

What i have noticed too is that after adding a fan to cool the HDDs my pc boots up for 2 seconds, powers off for 2 seconds, then powers back on and goes into windows, could there be a connection between these 2 i have no idea?

I cant reinstall windows 7 cause i dont have my serial key anywhere and no CD drive.
Im want to just somehow wipe my whole hdd except the os and see what happens from there.

Solution
If there's no option to skip entering a key, there is a "generic" key that will not activate Windows but will let you install:

YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
The latest version of Windows 10 can be downloaded from Microsoft here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and copied to a bootable USB stick through the Media Creation Tool (an 8GB stick is fine)

It can be activated without a key on any PC on which it was already activated. The activation is stored on MS activation servers so once you go online it should pick up the activation automatically.

niksonrex88

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018

My usb uses some FAT32 thing so i cant have files bigger than 4gigs on it. Which sucks.
I tired installing windows 10 again with the tool that installs it (i did that before) but this time it asks for a serial key before installing.

The limit on FAT32 is only individual files. The media creation tool will extract the installer as many files, none as big as that.

During the Win 10 installer, you can skip entering a key and continue installation by pressing the link at the bottom of that window "I don't have a key."

As long as this PC had been previously activated with a proper key, the activation is tied to it's unique hardware ID. The activation server will detect this as soon as it goes online and it should be activated as soon as it hits the desktop.

*upgrade from a properly activated Win 7 counts as a good install for this purpose

niksonrex88

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018

Ok ill try again and click the i dont have a key option. Im fine with having "Activate Windows" down there lol. I have no idea if my copy of win 7 was genuine. Now it isnt but before installing win 10 i think it was. Tho i was 7 when it was installed so i dont really know xd.

Lone-Wolf

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
Link your Microsoft account to it and it will save the key so next time you will just have to connect account and it will activate windows 10 for you.
btw i would say try reseting first if that doesn't fix your problem then do a clean install (you wont have to activate windows again if you reset)
you can do that by going to Settings in Windows 10 ---> Security & Update ---> Recovery ---> Reset this Pc
after that it will restart and its gonna ask if you wanna keep your data or not ( even if you keep data its still gonna remove every program and drivers) select what ever you wanna do and after it starts update driver check if its working fine or not.

on the reboot at post your mb bios and ram speed is not set right. it tries to set the ram speed and fails and that why you see the reboot. check to see if xmp profile is on in the bios. also check that your mb has the newest bios file on it. on your system ram make sure the ram sticks are a matched set.

niksonrex88

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Im typing this from 10, i installed it by using some key i found on some page. It was the generic key, i couldnt have replied faster cause it was installing and for some reason my phone wont log into tomshardware. Anyway the boot thing, could it be due to overclocking? I didnt change my dram fequency or something like that, im pretty uneducated on that matter so if you could help me it would be grand xd. I do have 4 matching sticks and all of them are ddr2 800Mhz.