My computer just like BLEW UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Ok so i was trying to take my computer apart in preparation to install a new GPU. I unplugged everything accordingly, and when it came to the power cable, i had to unscrew it. when i unscrewed it, the wire inside touched the case i guess and when that happened smoke started flying everywhere and there were a bunch of sparks everywhere. Now it smells like crap. I was wondering, obviously my PSU got fried, but did the rest of the computer get damaged? (harddrive, motherboard, gpu). I guess i was supposed to unplug the power cable rather than unscrew it...(It was plugged when i unscrewed)

I'm gonna edit this guys, Since my computer WAS OFF as i did this, it shouldn't damage my components as they weren't drawing power right?

Well guys instead of telling me that my whole pc probably got fried or maybe im lucky, can someone tell me how to check reliably which parts work and which parts dont? thanks

Solution
Sorry, I didn't think that you meant you were trying to disconnect it from the wrong end. I misread that, but what I said does tend to stand.

That you meant you tried to physically dismantle the PSU could mean that the problem really does now exist on the half that is between PSU and PC and it *could* have fried your motherboard, but I am still thinking 2/3 likely or better that the PSU is the only thing you need to fix.

I wouldn't pay Geek Squad $90 an hour to fix this, btw. You might as well just buy all new parts.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
yes...i thought that unscrewing the power cable was in effect unplugging it...until i realized the power cable doesnt come off as it is attached inside, but before i knew it it blew up on me...

battlefield3xx

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
the whole computer is FRIED. dead. but if i were you, DONT TOUCH ANYTHING. tampering with it will make it worse, there is no chance itll make it better. leave it be until ur parents come home. call dell or whatever company ur computer is from. research where all your parts came from. and when ur parents com home, u can tamper with it together. at least if it blows up again, it wouldnt be solely ur fault. good luck, but ur pc is probs a goner.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
can someone else here give me a reply please? Can i get a percentage chance that my whole computer is dead? Can i get some reliable methods in which i can check which components work and which don't? I also have no clue how to open my case...

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I would me more worried about the House and it's wiring at the outlet and fuse box, forget the computer.

Seriously, don't touch it.

That is why they use plugs in the wall. At any rate you or your parents might be able to file a claim and try to get something out of it.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
i didnt get to any wires/psu. I tried unscrewing the powercable from the outside of the case and then all of a sudden sparks, smoke and explosions. My graphics card is still uninstalled and my computer is dead and im wondering whether or not i can salvage any of the parts. I just called ibuypower and they said most likely its just my PSU that got damaged...fingers crossed man fingers crossed...

if i was you i would get another psu and take the whole thing to someone who knows what they are doing and hope you have been very very lucky not to have fried everything

not being nasty to you but if you didnt have the sense to unplug it from the wall then press the power button a few times to discharge before touching anything then you really shouldnt be touching it at all

as for checking the parts you could do it in some ones pc who has similar parts--but i am absolutely not volunteering mine :D

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Considering what you did, you probably didn't damage the computer, but it is only a guess. If the computer was off, and you touched a wire on the AC side there is a chance nothing got through the transformers and so forth.

Anyways, for future reference, never work on anything when it is plugged into a wall outlet :-D As mcnumpty said, you need to discharge the capacitors too, since those can hold a lot of energy and cause a lot of damage. However, you typically only need to press the power button once.

Before replacing the PSU, I highly suggest going to the homebuilt forum and reading the sticky that contains a walkthrough on building your own PC.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Well i knew that i should unplug power before doing anything, but the thing is the thing blew up on me WHILE i was trying to unplug power. If you read my whole post, I was trying to unplug the power from the computer. But since the power cable was stuck to the computer's oulet (and i DIDN't KNOW IT, i thought that oh, maybe i should unscrew the outlet insead, which looked like it was part of the cable to begin with). Then i realized there where wires attached INSIDE of the cable, and i was like wtf but it was too late. So in essense the computer blew up on me AS I TRIED TO DISCONNECT THE POWER.
As for the damage, i'm really hoping what you said was right. Something definitely happened though, as sparks and smoke doesn't come outta nowhere, and my computer no longer powers on. BUT my computer WAS off when i did this (completely shutdown), so hopefully its just a leak in the power supply, because i dont think my other computer components would be drawing power when the whole thing is off and not even making any noise.
Fingers crossed, and thanks alot for the link.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Question. I FINALLY jsut managed to open up my computer. Are burnmarks a common evidence of fried mobos and processors hdds and etc? because everything looks perfectly fine for me. Or maybe physical signs are uncommon? anyone please? im very anxious to know

inanition02

Distinguished

Scorch marks would be a bad sign yes - but no one's going to be able to tell you if everything is okay on this site. Nor by just looking at it even. You have to test the components, one by one.

Put it this way - the only visual way to check if it's all fried or not would be to inspect every transistor in the computer. Including those hidden by heatsinks and those INSIDE the proc (which you would need a microscope to see even). By the time you did that, you could easily order a new PSU and try each part.

That said, if you really want odds - I'd say 60/40 you're okay. You're really lucky you didn't fry YOURSELF though. Power and screwdrivers do not get along...

inanition02

Distinguished

Also, if it took you 5+ hours to open the computer, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

There is nothing wrong with learning as you go, and PCs are actually super easy to assemble. However, I will say that if you are going to learn as you go you should be reading as much material as possible to actually understand what you are doing.

EDIT: also, you shouldn't be in denial that you were working on the PC. if you are using a tool, you are working. Unplugging the cable involves using your hand to remove the plug from the wall outlet, not a tool.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
thanks for reply man yes i am indeed very lucky i didn't electrocute myself. I guess i will just have to buy a PSU and see :( . Also, it only took me 5 hours because i didn't have the right screwdriver. I knew exactly where to unscrew and unslide the peice.

Well, given the fact you had sparks flying everywhere, and the hardware has scorch marks, I'd say 90% you fried everything. I'd be more concerned about the outlet; heaven forbid THAT shorts-circuits...

Also: Never play with any electrical equipment until its powered off, unplugged, and any remaining energy has been discharged.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Guys, he's already said that the computer blew up WHILE he was unplugging it. So go easy on him and stop heaping on him for fiddling around while it still had power running. And he's damn lucky he didn't injure himself or burn the house down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS