Question My computer only uses onboard graphics instead of the GPU.

Feb 15, 2023
Yesterday, I walked up to my computer and it failed to give any video output to my monitor. After a lot of troubleshooting, I cleared the CMOS and rebooted the pc. I have cables running from both my 2080 ti and my motherboard to my monitor. My computer booted from the motherboard. However, in task manager, it still detects my GPU but it is shown at 0% utilization. The usage will occasionally spike to 100% for 1-2 seconds, but then return to zero.

I also attempted to replace my gpu with an old (but still functional) 1080 ti, and got the same result.

Additionally, the RGB lights on all of my components/peripherals are on, except the lights on my ram sticks constantly flashes at a migraine-inducing speed.

I can’t find anything in the BiOS that fixes it.
Is my motherboard broken?
What do I do?

Specs:
Motherboard - Asus Tuf Z490 Plus
GPU - Gigabyte 2080 ti
CPU - I9 10850k
Ram - Gskill TridentZ 4x8GB 3200mhz
Storage - 4TB WD black HD
PSU - 800W Gigabyte

A monitor can only talk to one graphics adapter at a time.
If your monitor selects the input manually, you may be ok.
But, if it autodetects the input, it is going to get confused when two different adapters are trying to talk to it.

Connect only the adapter you want to use; most likely the discrete card.

Feb 15, 2023
You need to have only the GPU plugged in.
Ok, weird new bit of additional information:

if I don’t plug in the cable to the mobo on boot, it won’t give any video output to either the GPU NOR the CPU. However, if I do have the mobo plugged in on boot, it defaults to the CPU. Maybe the PCiE slot is dead, and it’s failing to boot from the card? I’m certain that is isn’t the card because the same thing happened when I replaced it with a spare 1080 ti.

I have not been able to find any settings in the BiOS that have helped. Additionally, if I try to move the GPU down a PCIE slot, it won’t have any airflow.

Feb 15, 2023
Try your graphics card in second PCIE x16 slot (x4 mode slot).
If it works, then that way you eliminate failed GPU.

Also check cpu socket for bent pins.
I moved the GPU down a slot and attempted to boot with only the GPU connected to the monitor. No video output through the gpu, and once I plug the HDMI into the motherboard, it shows that it still defaulted to that.

I also tried my 1080 ti in the other slot, and it still didn’t boot from the GPU. I think that also means that it isn’t caused by a dead card.

If it wasn’t caused by a single faulty PCIE slot, and it wasn’t caused by a dead card, then that must mean that the issue lies in the BiOS.

does anyone know what settings could have mysteriously changed overnight to cause this issue? If so, how could I fix it?

Feb 15, 2023
Try it anyway if you haven't already.
So, it wasn’t that the monitor was broken or on the wrong source. Your comment inspired me to try plugging the HDMI in from the GPU to the monitor, and violà, I get video.

so it turns out my issue was either:
-a faulty DisplayPort cable
-a faulty port on the Monitor

Last edited:
So, it wasn’t that the monitor was broken or on the wrong source. Your comment inspired me to try plugging the HDMI in from the GPU to the monitor, and violà, I get video.

so it turns out my issue was either:
-a faulty DisplayPort cable
-a faulty port on the Monitor
Great to hear you've got it all squared away. I'd get a new DP cable to further narrow down the problem. It's always good to find out.