Question My computer takes forever to shutdown, how do i fix it?

Dec 12, 2018
Specs
Windows 10
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB (boot drive)
Samsung 860 Pro 1TB
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
I9-9900k
G.skill Tridentz (non-rgb)
2080ti FTW3

Issue:
When shutting down the computer partially shutdown but all components and LEDs go back to default profile and 1 monitor stays on while displaying only black. The LCD on the MoBo says "Detect Memory" and than 5 mins later it finially shuts down properly. What's going on....?

Colif

Win 11 Master
It could be a power setting in bios is conflicting with windows 10 shutdown process, you can try resetting BIOS to defaults and see if that helps.

Turn off fast startup since you have an ssd, see if that helps. Yes, it may seem illogical to change startup but the way win 10 works now is this. When you turn a PC off that has fast startup enabled, the PC doesn't actually turn off. it goes to sleep and saves a copy of the kernel + all open drivers to ram, so when it starts up again, half of the files are already loaded and boot is faster... on hdd anyway, on an ssd it doesn't make any difference.

So it could be a driver or program that isn't written to use the new power features in WIn 10.

Which BIOS version are you on? Motherboard so new its still getting updates that could fix this - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-FORMULA/HelpDesk_BIOS/ - instructions on how to update bios can be found in manual.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018
It could be a power setting in bios is conflicting with windows 10 shutdown process, you can try resetting BIOS to defaults and see if that helps.

Turn off fast startup since you have an ssd, see if that helps. Yes, it may seem illogical to change startup but the way win 10 works now is this. When you turn a PC off that has fast startup enabled, the PC doesn't actually turn off. it goes to sleep and saves a copy of the kernel + all open drivers to ram, so when it starts up again, half of the files are already loaded and boot is faster... on hdd anyway, on an ssd it doesn't make any difference.

So it could be a driver or program that isn't written to use the new power features in WIn 10.

Which BIOS version are you on? Motherboard so new its still getting updates that could fix this - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-FORMULA/HelpDesk_BIOS/ - instructions on how to update bios can be found in manual.

Had no effect, but thanks for the advice i have now turned off fast start up :D

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
something i noticed it is usually after windows 10 downloads and installs the patches for both AMD and intel that this happens . also if you use an AMD gpu on an AMD build it's less likely to happen ..