[SOLVED] My connection is detected as a VPN while I'm not even using one

Jarvice

Honorable
Apr 19, 2016
So the place where I live recently got a new connection through optical fiber. However, this came with an odd problem: some websites block access to their site because they detect a VPN while I'm not even using one. When I use an IP checker the location is indeed wrong and this applies to all my devices. I was wondering if someone could explain to me what's going on.

Solution
This is the risk these companies that try to prevent vpn take. They get false information on what is a vpn. Now your provider could be using a vpn but it is unlikely. Could be the IP blocks were rented to at vpn company in the past and now the ISP you use have them. All you can do is contact them and tell them you are a customer who wants to buy there service but there software is stopping you from doing so. Many times they are too stupid and lazy to care. Employees of companies think their paycheck is magic and is not related to the customers.

You are not the direct customer of the ISP...unless you pay a monthly charge to them. They would have to either get different IP blocks or somehow convince the company that...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if you join my wi-fi network and I'm using a VPN tunnel for my connection, so are you.
it sounds to me like the shared connection you are using, I assume as part of the living arrangements, is using a VPN and thus everyone connected is too - just like wi-fi.

if this is the case, securing a private internet connection (comcast, verizon, whathaveyou) in your name is the only way to secure an "open" (non VPN) connection.

do you know which VPN provider you are using/being forced to use?
some are just data vacuums, some are secure and logless, some adhere to the private part of VPN and others the P means public.

Last edited:
This is the risk these companies that try to prevent vpn take. They get false information on what is a vpn. Now your provider could be using a vpn but it is unlikely. Could be the IP blocks were rented to at vpn company in the past and now the ISP you use have them. All you can do is contact them and tell them you are a customer who wants to buy there service but there software is stopping you from doing so. Many times they are too stupid and lazy to care. Employees of companies think their paycheck is magic and is not related to the customers.

You are not the direct customer of the ISP...unless you pay a monthly charge to them. They would have to either get different IP blocks or somehow convince the company that claims you are using a vpn they are wrong.

Pretty much somebody has out smarted themselves by thinking they could detect vpn. These are the guys I wish I could find their facebook or other social media accounts and laugh at how poor they are at their jobs.

Solution

Jarvice

Honorable
Apr 19, 2016
In hindsight, it might not really be a VPN. The location that any IP checker gives is where my ISP's headquarters are located. I'm not really sure how or why though.

Jarvice

Honorable
Apr 19, 2016
How else would they really know where IP are located. Some ISP document where blocks are other there is a lot of tracking garbage that spies on peoples wifi and tries to see what public hotspots it can see and use that to get location.
Ah my bad, I didn't mean the VPN. I meant why my ISP has set my location to their headquarters lol.