My Core clock stays at 970 even when overclocked to 1170Mhz

Raijvrocks

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
Hi guys,

I ask you guys yet again for some help. I wanted to finally OC my R9 280x Direct CUii and I punched in 1170 and i thought oh wow it can actually run at that speed without crashing so i was happy (stock is 1070) but when I was looking at my temps on MSI afterburner it showed that my Core clock is 970Mhz. I can remember putting my clock to 970 a long time ago I don't know why but i did it. but it seems that stayed in there somehow. I'll show some Screencaps later. even in game it shows me 970Mhz and the same for Aida64 GPU stress test but the temps are rising while doing it so i'd assume something is happening. I also used AMD's crimson software to check Clockspeeds to be sure. that is also in the Screencaps.

I'd really like someone to tell me why this is happening.

Thanks in advance. any answers are welcome as always.
wTi6IzW.png

cnXZTgT.png

Solution
its NieR:Automata, but I fixed it I think well not really a fix but it works. I think everytime I make a profile it screws it up so I won't make any profiles I'll just changes the settings as I need. but I ran into another strange problem. If I change the clock speed to something like 1100 (30 higher then my base clock) my second monitor starts to flicker if I move a window onto it and if the windows start menus pops up while pressing the windows Key. it gets a some kind of tear/teer? and allot of stuttering when I am using chrome while scrolling. why is this? my second screen is running on DVI if that makes any difference. you Might not know what causes this. but at 1070Mhz my GPU hits almost 80 degrees So I won't be overclocking...

amdrx480

Respectable
Jan 15, 2017
Afterburner is still supported but why use it if you have wattman in crimson. Set clock speed using wattman, stress test with FurMark and apply it to afterburner so that you dont need to change it every time.

Raijvrocks

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
what do you mean apply it to Afterburner? did you misunderstand my situation? I can't add values to afterburner I think my GPU just ignores afterburner except for Fanspeed control I think I'll try reinstalling 17.4.4 but unchecking wattman if that is possible

amdrx480

Respectable
Jan 15, 2017
In Msi afterburner folder delete profiles. Open afterburner now you have default values to start.
Adjust the clock speed>save it to a profile>Go to settings>Profiles>3d profile>select your saved profile>Apply.
Now at startup it will load it.

Raijvrocks

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
Thanks But I already uninstalled the AMD Settings part and now Afterburner is working fine. I'll remember your suggestion though if I ever want to use the Radeon settings again.
EDIT: actually now the coreclock shows 1070 but when I apply the 1170 overclock it still shows the 1070 Core clock. I'll try your option

Raijvrocks

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
its NieR:Automata, but I fixed it I think well not really a fix but it works. I think everytime I make a profile it screws it up so I won't make any profiles I'll just changes the settings as I need. but I ran into another strange problem. If I change the clock speed to something like 1100 (30 higher then my base clock) my second monitor starts to flicker if I move a window onto it and if the windows start menus pops up while pressing the windows Key. it gets a some kind of tear/teer? and allot of stuttering when I am using chrome while scrolling. why is this? my second screen is running on DVI if that makes any difference. you Might not know what causes this. but at 1070Mhz my GPU hits almost 80 degrees So I won't be overclocking anyway. when Volta is released I'll just buy one of those.

Solution