My Core Duo scored 555 in 3DMark06, whats wrong? (CPU-Z pics)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

first he blindly appointed its the multiplier after a screenshot of CPUz indicating 1.6GHz, they saying its your RAM.

If you are not 100% sure, do not come to your conclusion so quickly. You are just going to confuse the problems he is having and could end up spending needless time on something completely wrong.

1.6GHz is not a bottleneck, my Q6600 slows itself down when playing World in Conflict to 1.6GHz from time to time.

You can have everything else working perfectly on 2D with the wrong driver of your NVIDIA 8800GTS 320MB, but you won't score 10FPS in 3D.

The RAM mentioned as above. I don't think the RAM is faulty. But if you only told the RAM to run at a certain ratio to the CPU Frenquency (FSB) then you are limiting the RAM Speed. Or having the RAM speed on Auto, the BIOS usually select 200 or 166 where your RAM is capable of running 266 / 300 / 333 / 366 / 400 being a PC2-6400. But slow RAM speed does not effect your in-game performance, it will only increase your game's LOADING speed.

I'll get some advise else where in the mean while

Best of luck

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

I didn't follow the previous thread on this so apologies for repeating some of the basics.

Was it a clean installation? (i'm thinking massive driver conflicts, although I've never seen anything that bad)

What temps are you getting under load (I'm thinking throttling due to a poorly installed stock heatsink (very common on new builds))

Your CPU-Z is perfectly normal for a speedstepped E6600, no problems there.

Do you have the PCI-E power plugged into the GTS (if it has one can't fnind a pic I can trust to find out right now) this would slow the card right down)

Can you run riva tuner and check the clockspeeds of the 8800gts (it may show that it is very underclocked for some reason or other)

That's all I've got for now.

Good luck.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Peter4, perhaps you can't read? According to his screenshots, his ram is running at 400Mhz...in other words, full speed. Do you know what the word think means? I did not say it was for sure his RAM, I said his RAM was scoring way lower than it should. You and I both know his RAM should not be that low, unless his timings make that big of a difference; which according to that article Toms wrote months ago, it shouldn't make that large of a difference. Don't believe me? Take a look at the benchmarks I put up. He bought really solid RAM that OCs like you wouldn't believe, and yet it scores so low? So he tried memtest. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. But instead of you criticising me, why don't you try helping the guy that asked for help? Did you ever think of that?

Yes, I said I came to a quick and faulty conclusion about the CPU, but that was because I have had problems with Cool n' Quiet in the past (obviously different thing then speedstep, but same concept). Just because I made a mistake, does not mean I cannot be trusted. I am sure you have never made a mistake in your life before...

We should be 100% sure before we post? Then this guy would get no one's help. No one can be 100% sure. So like I said, instead of criticizing me, shut up and try to help this guy. He can run memtest whilst he sleeps...that is not wasting his time testing things.

You are right MrCommunistsGen, I was just saying it would be a bottleneck @ 1.6Ghz, but you are right in saying it would not be that bad.

How did your memtest results look? Did you try flashing to latest bios? If it is not your RAM, it could be a faulty mother board. Like I said, you other hardware scored just fine on that benchmark, including the CPU. It should not be your graphics card, because yours got about as high of a score on Performance test as my x1800xt did. Even though you card it way better than mine, I am assuming that it is from something bottlenecking it. You could try one RAM module at a time, and see if maybe one isn't DOA. Other than that, I really has no idea what could be wrong. What about your power supply? Can we have the stats on that?

I've just run perf test, (never heard of it before), i'm running an E6600 with memory at 266 i.e. 1:1 ratio, I am not o/c'd.

My CPU scores were comparable to yours (i'm torrenting crysis right now, so i'm expecting it to be a bit lower). But my memory scores were about 25-30% higher on all counts totoal memory score of 522.9 vs 425, my memory has slightly tighter timings 4-4-10, vs 5-5-15, but it wouldn't make that much difference. It also would not account for your very low frames.

My 3dmark is higher as i am running a 8800GTX, but only 1168 vs 921, I suspect that I am a bit slower than I should be. but you are not slow enough again to account for it.

I doubt that memtest will show anything as bad memory would generally result in BSOD's and random shutdowns? Try setting it to 266 as memory speed, I also doubt this would have an effect.

CPU/GPU could be throttling when hot, I doubt that the tests would stress the system too much to notice, hence why a real world application (game) shows something.

Could the north bridge (which I believe communicates with the RAM) be overheating, does it have a fan on it, or a heatsink, is it secure? But again I would expect to see BSOD's first, rather than performance drops.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
:ouch: is all I can really say, but I'm guessing it's your CPU like you said. If it was your PSU you'd probably have random shutdowns. If it was your RAM or Chipset you'd have BSOD's all the time. If it was your GPU you'd have artifacts or problems playing graphic intense games. If it's your CPU you'd have low scores on 3DMark(CPU section) and low FPS in games. If your CPU is crap you'll never get good results even from the best GPU. You could try to DL the newest BIOS and see if that helps but I doubt it.

The chipset can have many wild and weird effects/affects to the entire system so it's not so easy to rule that out but I'm pretty sure if you run something like Orthos that you'll be able to discover what's up.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Good advice from T8RR8R that I didn't think of there. He is right, orthos should be able to tell you if it is CPU related or not. You should also get speedfan to see you temps, just to make sure that stuff isn't overheating. Grimmy, you can boot off of a bad CPU...your CPU doesn't have to be perfect to boot. As long as the thing actually works it should boot, but that doesn't mean that it works how it should. Hey man, put your timings at 4-4-4-12 @1T and make sure the volts are manually set to between 2.0-2.1v. That is what your RAM is capable of doing. It won't fix the problem, but it will make you load times a lot faster when you do get the thing fixed.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errr... Orthos or Prime95 can tell you if you have hardware problems, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the CPU / Memory physically, or does it really tell you exactly whats wrong. You can have your bios settings wrong to where those programs will say there's something wrong, but yet your hardware is fine.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Orthos is stress test for CPU only; it's kinda like prime95. But if it fails orthos, or prime for that matter, you will have narrowed it down to a CPU or motherboard problem. Orthos is CPU strictly (I believe, not sure), prime is CPU and RAM. So based on the error he gets, he could get a greater idea of what exactly his problem is. Orthos might have a code that it puts out when it has an error and you can look it up on a list, but I haven't used it in a while, so I am not positive; I am just pretty sure.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Can anyone enlighten me as to what this Orthos error is?

Heh.. it tests memory, believe it or not.

Those programs are generally to test system that are OC. However you still can use them to test the stability at normal or stock speeds, and to see if your cooling system is in check.

Now the guy is not overclocking, he's stated he is using memtest, and hasn't go back yet. Now, it would be nice to know what his CPU / GPU temps are, since I haven't seen a reply yet.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Hey man, I said once I wasn't sure. I said I hadn't used it in a while. I just did some research on Orthos, and it turns out that it is the exact same as Prime95, only it has a different UI. That error is probably his RAM or CPU running at too low or high of a voltage. I got the exact same rounding error message on Prime95 and found out that lowering my RAMs voltage fixed the problem. That or he has got his clocks way too high...

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Ah, never mind, he said that he tried voltages and that no matter what he did, it didn't work. He wasted his OC though...running your RAM @ 2T makes the stuff run terrible; 2T is really slow. Or at least, thats what synthetic benchmarks say...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hope I'm not sounding... harsh or anything. Not trying to make you feel bad, we are, well not just us.. trying to help this guy out.

No hard feeling man.

But I totally understand where ya coming from.

Edit:

I should have also said that I recently used Orthos, and ran it 9 hours (orthos) straight, and 10 hours (Prime95) straight to test my OC on my E4400 @ 3ghz, kinda just knew better. Whelp... I guess Im off for now.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Try Prime95 though man, use the "small fft" test to test the CPU only. If it fails at default clocks, then your CPU (or maybe northbridge) is the cause.

Kano523

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
To answer some questions, this system is a clean build that I put together 7 months ago (worked fine then). This problem has been getting exponentially worse for several months until now when it is intolerable. I now AM getting random reboots from time to time as well as horrible startup times. Once I get past the screen with the XP logo and the loading bar the entire screen goes black and stays there for a minute or two before loading windows. I am beyond frustrated at this point but I'm going to run Orthos and Prime95 and I'll probably just go buy a new PSU tomorrow so I can eliminate that option.

edit: Oh and I've been monitoring temps, they're all fine.

I doubt that a PSU would cause progressive failures like that.. unless you have caps going on the PSU, but that would take years normally, and you have plenty of overhead in terms of power, what brand of PSU? decent?

Do you harddisks check out ok? it could be viral? What are your GPU and CPU temps under load?

I know we are just asking questions, but it all helps, the gradual degradation information may have helped a lot, I just can't put it togther yet.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
IF it were Viral, Formatting and reinstalling windows would've cured that.

But like 13thmonkey mentions Hard Drives crapping out, could cause the long load times. and POSSIBLY reboots.

Have you looked at the SMART status for your drive(s)

given the current bsods and restarts it could be that the memory is slowly degrading, although I wouldn't have expected the performance drop, just it only working for a few minutes at a time.

Cliffro, I was thinking that the viral infection coudl have started after the last rebuild, (7 months ago), and that would potentially cause the performance degradation since then, it could have gotten in before virus software was installed etc.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Try SiSoftware Sandra Lite. It has a lot of benchmarks for the CPU and RAM, and includes the ability to compare against similar systems loaded into it's internal database. It also has plenty of information about your hardware including SMART. It may help in localizing the problem.

One last thing...it's free.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Have you tried using a program to scan your hard drive for bad sectors? Do you have another hard drive spare that you could try? Cause if it is a progressive problem, that sounds like something a hard drive could be responsible for. If it were GPU or CPU it would not be slow degradation I don't think. Remember that what I am saying is speculation, so take it worth a grain of salt. By the way, is your XP 32-bit or 64-bit? Do you remember anything going wrong that could have triggered this? Like a power outtage or a random crash? Try resetting your bios. It sounds crazy, but it takes like 30 seconds and it certainly won't hurt.

Kano523

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Alright new info using SiSoftware Sandra Lite. Given these results it really makes me think the CPU is to blame. But judge for yourself. By the way I'm not sure if I was clear but I did the reformat two days ago so I think that rules out the virus theory.

You can see here how I scored well below not only what an E6600 is supposed to run but well below a lesser model as well:
cpuhl8.png

Another CPU test with similar results:
cpu2kf1.jpg

Cache and memory test very bad, you can see I'm well below the blue line representing a normal E6600:
cachexr2.jpg

Chipset and memory checked out slightly lower than it should be but not that bad:
memorychipsetow7.jpg

Finally the HDD test was perfect, you can see the orange line representing optimal performance from a Seagate 7200.10 and the red line is right on top so I think we can rule out HDD failure.

hddtm6.jpg

Also I have not been able to run Prime95 or Orthos without my system crashing, SiSoftware Sandra Lite along with 3DMark06 have been the only CPU tests I can run. Given that and these test results I think it looks like my CPU is at fault. Is this enough info to justify requesting a replacement from Intel? If so, according to the Intel site I need a serial number-spec + FPO, where would I go about finding these? On the CPU itself?