Question My CPU cooler is always at high speed even though my CPU temperature is low

May 29, 2023
Hi i have a i5-11400f and i use stock cooler, the problem is my CPU cooler running at more than 2800 pwm even when CPU temperature is less than 40c (some time 30c). My motherboard is prime B560M-A.
so what is the problem?
(Sorry for my English)

A) Check the Windows Control Panel / Power Options / verify which Power Plan is enabled... the High Performance Plan keeps the CPU cooler running at full speed.... If it's using the Balanced or Power Saving plan, check the BIOS settings.

B) Check the BIOS /Power Management Settings.
• Check the BIOS setting for / Power Management / Setting called Cool & Quiet (AMD Systems)
• On Intel systems the BIOS setting is called Speedstep.

Reactions: mahdi87
May 29, 2023
A) Check the Windows Control Panel / Power Options / verify which Power Plan is enabled... the High Performance Plan keeps the CPU cooler running at full speed.... If it's using the Balanced or Power Saving plan, check the BIOS settings.

B) Check the BIOS /Power Management Settings.
• Check the BIOS setting for / Power Management / Setting called Cool & Quiet (AMD Systems)
• On Intel systems the BIOS setting is called Speedstep.
A) power plan was on the balance, i changed it to power saving
B) i found the intel speedstep which is on auto (didn't change that) still CPU cooler running at more than 2800 rpm

May 29, 2023
How is the cooler connected?
Did you connect it to correct fan header on motherboard?

Check fan curve settings in BIOS.

Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
I connected to CPU_FAN header. about the fan curve I don't think it change anything. View: https://imgur.com/a/WpDlpI5
View: https://imgur.com/EuSVSQP

View: https://imgur.com/8rkvoyV
View: https://imgur.com/IwNcKsQ

View: https://imgur.com/cSjziWw

Last edited:
May 29, 2023
Change fan profile to standard or silent.
Or adjust fan curve manually.

Your current settings make cpu fan to spin at 2896 - 2913 rpm.
The thing is i can't change CPU fan profile (i can choose silent or standard but still the same thing) and i can't change the fan curve manually, other fan (i have 2 rpwm fan) i can do all of that as you can see in photos.

The CPU fan curve has a few dot with different colours (which I suppose are for different temperatures), i can move them to the right or left side but I can't bring them down (they are always at the top)

Last edited:
Find fan control mode settings in BIOS.
BIOS\Monitor\Q-Fan Configuration\CPU Q-Fan Control
It may be set to DC control instead of PWM control.

4pin fans - are PWM controlled.

Also check CPU fan speed lower limit settings.
BIOS\Monitor\Q-Fan Configuration\CPU Fan Speed lower limit.

Set custom curve in BIOS - Q-Fan Control section.
(not that windows app, you're showing in screenshots)

Last edited:
May 29, 2023
L
Find fan control mode settings in BIOS.
BIOS\Monitor\Q-Fan Configuration\CPU Q-Fan Control
It may be set to DC control instead of PWM control.

4pin fans - are PWM controlled.

Also check CPU fan speed lower limit settings.
BIOS\Monitor\Q-Fan Configuration\CPU Fan Speed lower limit.

Set custom curve in BIOS - Q-Fan Control section.
(not that windows app, you're showing in screenshots)
I went to the bios and there is no DC control or PWM

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
Maybe uninstall that Asus Firmware program for Fan Control, if it doesn't work properly. That "curve" doesn't seem to have the right effect. It just spikes at some point, if i understand you. I also don't think you really need it, If you can just change the settings to silent in the BIOS. That should be sufficient.

May 29, 2023
Maybe uninstall that Asus Firmware program for Fan Control, if it doesn't work properly. That "curve" doesn't seem to have the right effect. It just spikes at some point, if i understand you. I also don't think you really need it, If you can just change the settings to silent in the BIOS. That should be sufficient.
The thing is it doesn't matter if I change to silent, still CPU fan work at the same 2800 rpm
And ther is another problem. I change the ram position and know i don't have signal on monitor (2 of my ram are identical and other 2 are from different brand but all of them are DDR 4 , 2400 mhz)

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
That might be, because the Asus Performance and Power Saving Utility doesn't care about your BIOS settings as soon as you get into Windows, i guess. And it isn't set the way you would want it. I think there might be some kind of conflict between the BIOS settings and the firmware settings. Maybe your CPU Fan can't decide for a Signal. I would uninstall it. You can still reinstall it, If it doesn't have any effect. ->The Asus Firmware

May 29, 2023
That might be, because the Asus Performance and Power Usage Utility doesn't care about your BIOS settings as soon as you get into Windows, i guess. And it isn't set the way you would want it. I think there might be some kind of conflict between the BIOS settings and the firmware settings. Maybe your CPU Fan can't decide for a Signal. I would uninstall it. You can still reinstall it, If it doesn't have any effect. ->The Asus Firmware
How can I do that? Where can i uninstall The Asus Firmware? Is it change the bios too, because even at the BIOS the CPU cooler still is above 2800rpm? I hand 10100f with stock cooler on this mobo never had such problems

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
Not Sure, but If you can uninstall it just like any other Programm, you probably know how to do that. I kind of overlooked the fact, that it's already running that fast, when you're in the BIOS. Maybe i'm on the wrong trace.

May 29, 2023
Not Sure, but If you can uninstall it just like any other Programm, you probably know how to do that. I kind of overlooked the fact, that it's already running that fast, when you're in the BIOS. Maybe i'm on the wrong trace.
Is it possible that the cooler is defective ?(i mean it works at high speed and cool the CPU and show the RPM change) because I never had any problems with i3 10100f and it's stock cooler

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Look at the very first picture of Asus fan control, right hand side number boxes. 0% = 2903rpm. 100% = 2903rpm. After startup, that chart is what Asus fanXpert is going to use.

2 options. Either get rid of Asus fanXpert, which will default to bios control OR in second picture, left side, hit the Fan Tuning button and allow Asus to find the cpu fan, and pull rpm settings, changing the table in first Pic to 0%=400rpm, 100%=2903rpm.

May 29, 2023
Look at the very first picture of Asus fan control, right hand side number boxes. 0% = 2903rpm. 100% = 2903rpm. After startup, that chart is what Asus fanXpert is going to use.

2 options. Either get rid of Asus fanXpert, which will default to bios control OR in second picture, left side, hit the Fan Tuning button and allow Asus to find the cpu fan, and pull rpm settings, changing the table in first Pic to 0%=400rpm, 100%=2903rpm.
I did use the fan tuning still the same, and even in the bios i still has same issue like when I am in Windows
Do you think that there is possibility that the cooler is defective?

Last edited:
Do you think that there is possibility that the cooler is defective?
Might be defective, if PWM control wire on fan is broken.

fan-header.png

But more likely you're doing something wrong.

May 29, 2023
Might be defective, if PWM control wire on fan is broken.

fan-header.png

But more likely you're doing something wrong.
what about the CPU? is this having anything to do with CPU? can I use 10100f cooler for 11400f?
when pc was on, I plugged one of the 4 pin fans (case) to the motherboard. do you think this has anything to do with the issue?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS