[SOLVED] My CPU hits 78°C while my GPU is only at 49°C, should I be worried?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 6, 2021
CPU- Intel i7 10700f
GPU- GeForce RTX 2060

Is that abnormal, what should I do? I just want to make sure my pc is fine.

Just checked again and my CPU hit 88°C and my GPU was still at 49°C , I am worried

Solution
CPU- Intel i7 10700f
GPU- GeForce RTX 2060

Just checked again and my CPU hit 88°C and my GPU was still at 49°C , I am worried

I'd be concerned about the cpu being that hot, normal temps for 10700f should run you between 38c idle and nearly 60c at full load.
I suggest you go out or online buy artic mx-4, put 5 dots on the cpu once you clean off the old grease from cpu and oem heatsink.
After that it should cool down some but I suggest a water cooler if you want to over clock some.
I use a corsair h60 on my core i5 9400f with artic mx-4 and it does a really nice job...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No problem!
1)In the picture, it looks like a square plate with 4 '+' signs in it.
2)Correct.
3)Changing just the fan on the current cooler won't do much here.
4)Only in scenarios where the cooling isn't up to par, or thermals are out of your comfort zone.

Ringwraith34544

Commendable
Oct 17, 2020
I lowered the CPU to 98%, it was a slight improvement. I don't mind increasing the RPM on my fans but wouldn't that decrease the life of my fans? By permeant solution do you mean getting new fan for my CPU?
I dont think it will descrease the life of cpu fans , yeah getting a better cpu cooler should solve the problem or you can change your case to a better one with airflow this can solve it too but changing your cpu is less time consuming

Ringwraith34544

Commendable
Oct 17, 2020
Oh ok, that is very helpful and I understand what you are saying. When you said the square shaped tile at the top of my PC in picture 1/3, did you mean the thing at the top left or top right? Just want clarification. So if I were to install one of those two coolers you suggested, I would pretty much need to disassemble my PC, correct? Also, this method would be more affected then just replacing the current CPU fan with a better one? Say I did what you suggested, would I have to do the same thing if I had to replace the liquid coolers a few years down the road? Sorry for asking a lot of questions, just want to make sure I completely understand.
  1. you dont need to replace your cpu cooler after this it will hold for a long time but you have to clean it or temperatures will get hotter
  2. I think he meant metal plate at top left
  3. I dont think you have to disassemble everything you just have to be sure that the new cpu cooler you will buy fits the case so you have to measure your cpu cooler height I couldnt find anything about your cases cpu cooler height compability so you have to do it Edit: Or you can ask hp if they have that info
  4. Yes it will be more efficient than replacing fan

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Considering your experience level with working inside a PC, I would really start with something simple, like an additional case fan, or changing the CPU fan. Liquid cooling isn't necessary to have reasonable CPU temps, and an HP case probably does not include a pre-designed place for a radiator either.
If for example you added an extra fan as a front intake, if it didn't solve the problem, it would only mean that you wasted 10-20 bucks, and even then, having that fan there is probably useful anyway, seeing as it would increase overall airflow into the case whatever the final setup you would end up with.

EDIT: looking at the photos you posted, it might be that there isn't a slot for a front fan, unless it's not visible in the photos. :-(

CPU- Intel i7 10700f
GPU- GeForce RTX 2060

I'd be concerned about the cpu being that hot, normal temps for 10700f should run you between 38c idle and nearly 60c at full load.
I suggest you go out or online buy artic mx-4, put 5 dots on the cpu once you clean off the old grease from cpu and oem heatsink.
After that it should cool down some but I suggest a water cooler if you want to over clock some.
I use a corsair h60 on my core i5 9400f with artic mx-4 and it does a really nice job

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...-cooling-system-black/5845215.p?skuId=5845215

Solution
Jan 6, 2021
I use a corsair h60 on my core i5 9400f with artic mx-4 and it does a really nice job

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...-cooling-system-black/5845215.p?skuId=5845215
Ok, so you're suggesting that I simply just take out my current CPU cooler, clean off the CPU, use some artic mx-4, and then place a liquid cooler in there?

Jan 6, 2021
No problem!
1)In the picture, it looks like a square plate with 4 '+' signs in it.
2)Correct.
3)Changing just the fan on the current cooler won't do much here.
4)Only in scenarios where the cooling isn't up to par, or thermals are out of your comfort zone.
I looked into what you said, and I don't think I would have to remove the motherboard. I could just put the back plate of the liquid cooler in by removing the back panel of my PC. After that tho, all I would need to do is place the cooling plate over my CPU and then place the fan where that plate at the top left is, correct?

Jan 6, 2021
Considering your experience level with working inside a PC, I would really start with something simple, like an additional case fan, or changing the CPU fan. Liquid cooling isn't necessary to have reasonable CPU temps, and an HP case probably does not include a pre-designed place for a radiator either.
If for example you added an extra fan as a front intake, if it didn't solve the problem, it would only mean that you wasted 10-20 bucks, and even then, having that fan there is probably useful anyway, seeing as it would increase overall airflow into the case whatever the final setup you would end up with.

EDIT: looking at the photos you posted, it might be that there isn't a slot for a front fan, unless it's not visible in the photos. :-(
So after reading what you said, do you suggest I just get a liquid cooler? I could place a fan at the top left of my PC facing downward, but does that do anything at all? You said all I would need to do to take care of my liquid cooler was to clean it, what would I do exactly to clean it properly?

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I'm sorry to be a problem to this discussion, but I think liquid cooling is not the right solution for someone who is very new to PC tech. I would still advise either replacing the fan(s) or the CPU cooler (an air cooler at that). Yes, you might have a problem with mounting the new cooler depending on the hole spacing on the motherboard, but that would also apply to the liquid cooling setup, and with liquid cooling you would also have the additional problem of mounting the radiator. Liquid cooling only makes sense if you are planning to overclock or are aiming for a very silent system (even then there are reservations as the pump also makes noise, as well as the 2+ fans on the radiators. I used to have high end liquid cooling but switched to Noctua air cooling instead and never looked back...)

Jan 6, 2021
I'm sorry to be a problem to this discussion, but I think liquid cooling is not the right solution for someone who is very new to PC tech. I would still advise either replacing the fan(s) or the CPU cooler (an air cooler at that). Yes, you might have a problem with mounting the new cooler depending on the hole spacing on the motherboard, but that would also apply to the liquid cooling setup, and with liquid cooling you would also have the additional problem of mounting the radiator. Liquid cooling only makes sense if you are planning to overclock or are aiming for a very silent system (even then there are reservations as the pump also makes noise, as well as the 2+ fans on the radiators. I used to have high end liquid cooling but switched to Noctua air cooling instead and never looked back...)
Just to clarify, you're saying I shouldn't get a liquid cooler because its a lot of work for someone newer to PCs? I have seen videos and pictures of computers that are similar to mine with a liquid cooler in there that fits, but considering the fact that I new you suggest I just get a better air cooler? I just want to be able to keep my CPU cooled and not be worried about it overheating, thanks for the info.

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
If you've seen a liquid cooler in an HP case like yours, it might fit easily enough. What I'm saying though is that if all you need is to have a quiter PC while keeping your CPU relatively cool, you don't need a liquid cooler, which is more expensive and takes more effort to install. To change the CPU cooler to a good air cooler, still involves you screwing in the new heatsink to your motherboard, which might mean removing the motherboard if there is no large opening in the backboard behind the CPU, so it's not going to be a five minute installation. And you'd need to make sure the cooler fits into your case in terms of height. Replacing the chassis fan at the back would be an easy five minute job, or similarly adding an intake fan to the front, if there is space for one. But just changing or adding chassis fans won't quarantee that your CPU will run much cooler than it is now.
You have a few options, change your CPU cooler to an air cooler, change it to a liquid cooler, or improve chassis airflow. Each one has many pros and cons. If you have a friend who could help you, perhaps they could have a look at your case and see what would fit into it, and see what the case airflow is like right now.