Question My Cpu is automatically overclocking

Mar 14, 2019
Hello! Its been about a week since ive built my newest gaming pc, I have a ryzen 7 2700x on a Aorus Pro b450 MoBo ands so far its looking pretty good but today i Noticed something. Since my CPU Base clock is 3.7 Ghz i saw that it was running at 4 ghz sometimes 3.9. I went into BIOS and checked my cpu where it said CPU Clock ratio is Auto. Is that causing my cpu to overclock automacticly? And if it is, does it also affect my ram performance? Since last week i enabled XMP and my ram was running at 3200 Mhz at its highest speed and was getting a lot of Bsod's. I lowered it down a bit at 3000 and was running pretty stable. My ram is GSkill trident Z rgb.

WildCard999

Titan
The 2700X by default automatically boosts to 4ghz+ when needed, that behavior is perfectly normal. The CPU speed shouldn't affect your memory in a negative way but what is your motherboard?

Did you update the motherboard drivers & BIOS? Updating the BIOS should give you better memory compatibility/stability so it should help get that full 3200mhz speed. Also make sure you memory is in the correct slots.

Mar 14, 2019
The 2700X by default automatically boosts to 4ghz+ when needed, that behavior is perfectly normal. The CPU speed shouldn't affect your memory in a negative way but what is your motherboard?
My motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus Pro B450. Alsp will that be a problem if i disable auto overclocking or if i set it to run at 3.7 only?

WildCard999

Titan
My motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus Pro B450. Alsp will that be a problem if i disable auto overclocking or if i set it to run at 3.7 only?
Unless that CPU is exceeding 80C (it shouldn't be) there's really no good reason to disable the turbo boost feature on it. When the performance isn't needed it will downclock to the appropriate speed.

Update the motherboard BIOS, make sure the memory is in the correct slots (typically A1/B1 or A2/B2) and try enabling AXMP to get the motherboard to run that memory at 3200 as Ryzen performs best with fast memory.

Just leave it at the stock behavior. It's SUPPOSED to do that. It's not anything "wrong" and it's not "overclocking". That is standard boost behavior that most all modern CPUs utilize.

There is no reason to not leave it enabled, it's not going to hurt anything and it will almost certainly help performance significantly over the performance with it disabled.

What is the model number of your memory kit?

Have you tried upping the DRAM voltage, which is probably what you're going to need to do anyhow to get those sticks to run at 3200mhz?

Have you run Memtest86 to test the memory configuration? If you have not, you need to. Memory corruption is no joke. It will cripple your system completely, eventually, if left unchecked, and there does not have to be obvious problems for it to do so. Micro errors will corrupt your file data if the configuration isn't completely stable.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86 (NOT Memtest86+, that is a different, older version and is outdated). Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

Click here to download Memtest86 USB package

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP or custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory.

Mar 14, 2019
Unless that CPU is exceeding 80C (it shouldn't be) there's really no good reason to disable the turbo boost feature on it. When the performance isn't needed it will downclock to the appropriate speed.

Update the motherboard BIOS, make sure the memory is in the correct slots (typically A1/B1 or A2/B2) and try enabling AXMP to get the motherboard to run that memory at 3200 as Ryzen performs best with fast memory.
Ive seen on other forums that updating the motherboard BIOS is not that needed unless your are having a lot of problems. Also what is AXMP and how do i enable it, as i have never seen that thing in my BIOS. And i have also placef my ram correctly at where it should be placed

WildCard999

Titan
Ive seen on other forums that updating the motherboard BIOS is not that needed unless your are having a lot of problems. Also what is AXMP and how do i enable it, as i have never seen that thing in my BIOS. And i have also placef my ram correctly at where it should be placed
It was previously like that and continues to be so for Intel however it's pretty important nowadays for AMD Ryzen. The memory compatibility improved drastically from First gen to second Gen but updating the BIOS is still something I would recommend, especially if your not getting the correct speed.

Mar 14, 2019
Just leave it at the stock behavior. It's SUPPOSED to do that. It's not anything "wrong" and it's not "overclocking". That is standard boost behavior that most all modern CPUs utilize.

There is no reason to not leave it enabled, it's not going to hurt anything and it will almost certainly help performance significantly over the performance with it disabled.

What is the model number of your memory kit?

Have you tried upping the DRAM voltage, which is probably what you're going to need to do anyhow to get those sticks to run at 3200mhz?

Have you run Memtest86 to test the memory configuration? If you have not, you need to. Memory corruption is no joke. It will cripple your system completely, eventually, if left unchecked, and there does not have to be obvious problems for it to do so. Micro errors will corrupt your file data if the configuration isn't completely stable.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86 (NOT Memtest86+, that is a different, older version and is outdated). Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

Click here to download Memtest86 USB package

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP or custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory.
Thanks for the reply! I will run it now and keep you updated. Also if i pass on default should i run another one with it enabled on 3200 mhz? Also i have never tried to increase the dram voltage. By model number do you mean this? F4-3200C16D-16GTZR?

Yes, and that model IS verified on Ryzen to run at the full advertised speed, as seen here:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Should be able to get it to run at full speed. Getting memory to run at high speeds often requires faster CPU operation, which is all the more reason to leave the boost behavior alone. On some systems you used to have to overclock the CPU to get the memory controller to want to run high speed memory like that, but on yours it should be fine at the stock configuration but if you disable the boost performance it's actually going to work AGAINST you in this issue.

Yes, test the memory at the default 2133mhz configuration FIRST, so you can see if there is an actual PHYSICAL problem with the memory, before running it at it's full XMP profile configuration, where you are looking for instability caused by the configuration rather than the physical "fitness" of the modules.

Mar 14, 2019
Yes, and that model IS verified on Ryzen to run at the full advertised speed, as seen here:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Should be able to get it to run at full speed. Getting memory to run at high speeds often requires faster CPU operation, which is all the more reason to leave the boost behavior alone. On some systems you used to have to overclock the CPU to get the memory controller to want to run high speed memory like that, but on yours it should be fine at the stock configuration but if you disable the boost performance it's actually going to work AGAINST you in this issue.

Yes, test the memory at the default 2133mhz configuration FIRST, so you can see if there is an actual PHYSICAL problem with the memory, before running it at it's full XMP profile configuration, where you are looking for instability caused by the configuration rather than the physical "fitness" of the modules.
Hello once again! I ran the memtest at stock ram (2133 MHz) all 4 passes amd took my aroumd 3 and a half hours and it went succesfully with 0 errors! Im running the test once again now with XMP. Im gonna let it run all night as im late now and must go sleep but i will keep you updated! Thank you for helping me so far!

Reactions: WildCard999
Mar 14, 2019

So i ran memtest86 once again with XMP settings, i let it run all night and when woke up to see the results it had 0 errors. It went succesfuly with the xmp as well. So is my ram good? Or do i have to run more tests? If ram isnt causing the bsod then what is it? As i mentioned before, when i reduced frequency from 3200 to 3000 i wasnt getting any bsod anymore.

If you had no errors on either configuration then for all intents and purposes the memory is good, and not related to your problems.

Now I would download and run ASUS Realbench. Choose the stress test option, select half of your full memory amount in the "amount of memory to use" field and then run it for 8 hours. If there are no problems, no errors, then the configuration is good and your BSODs are probably related to driver problems.

Mar 14, 2019
If you had no errors on either configuration then for all intents and purposes the memory is good, and not related to your problems.

Now I would download and run ASUS Realbench. Choose the stress test option, select half of your full memory amount in the "amount of memory to use" field and then run it for 8 hours. If there are no problems, no errors, then the configuration is good and your BSODs are probably related to driver problems.
Where do i download the asus realbench? And if it is driver problems, how do i fix it? When i got the bsods it said "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" and the 2nd was "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL". Should i re install windows? Maybe i have installed the wrong drives for my motherboard.

What Windows version are you running? Did you do a clean install of Windows AFTER you built the system or are you using an installation from before?

Did you download and install the drivers from the motherboard product page?

Did you check to see if you have the latest BIOS version?

Mar 14, 2019
What Windows version are you running? Did you do a clean install of Windows AFTER you built the system or are you using an installation from before?

Did you download and install the drivers from the motherboard product page?

Did you check to see if you have the latest BIOS version?
I have a Windows 10 Home 64 bit version and i did a clean install, i bought the windows home when i bought my pc components so its was brand new.
When i first set up the pc i went to my motherboard model page and installed some drivers for sound and lan etc which im not sure if i chosed a wrong windows version before downloading the drive as on my motherboard page it would ask you first for what windows version you have and then it will show you the drivers that you need to download. I also checked for my BIOS version, I currently have the F2 version and there is a F5 version that currently came which i havent downloaded yet. Always when i try to play games i get the bsod after 30 min to 1 hr. When i reduced the ram frequency to 3000 and played for 3 hours just to test it, I wasnt stopped by a bsod. I aso did a system recovery after 3 days of doing some tests as my pc was running pretty slow.

First, upgrade your BIOS to F5. Download the F5 bios firmware, unpack the file to a USB flash drive, go into the BIOS and find the BIOS update utility and point it at the correct file on the flash drive. There are plenty of online tutorials showing multiple ways to update the BIOS for just about everything out there or something close enough that uses the same technique, generally within the same chipset from the same manufacturer the methods will be similar or the same.

Most memory related BSOD or other memory issues on Ryzen platforms can be corrected by having the latest BIOS version. Try that first, then if the problem still continues we can go from there to find other solutions and remedies.

Mar 14, 2019
First, upgrade your BIOS to F5. Download the F5 bios firmware, unpack the file to a USB flash drive, go into the BIOS and find the BIOS update utility and point it at the correct file on the flash drive. There are plenty of online tutorials showing multiple ways to update the BIOS for just about everything out there or something close enough that uses the same technique, generally within the same chipset from the same manufacturer the methods will be similar or the same.

Most memory related BSOD or other memory issues on Ryzen platforms can be corrected by having the latest BIOS version. Try that first, then if the problem still continues we can go from there to find other solutions and remedies.
Ok, i upgraded the BIOS to f5 succesfuly! now im gonna test if i get any errors and ill keep you updated. Also i installed the bios with the usb 3,0 plugged into case and not into motherboard, is that a problem or will it work the same?

As long as the update was successful, it doesn't matter.

However, now that you have updated the BIOS, it would probably be a good idea to reset the CMOS and start from scratch with any custom settings in the BIOS as they often change from version to version or have different properties for the same setting in some cases.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Mar 14, 2019
As long as the update was successful, it doesn't matter.

However, now that you have updated the BIOS, it would probably be a good idea to reset the CMOS and start from scratch with any custom settings in the BIOS as they often change from version to version or have different properties for the same setting in some cases.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.
I do have a reset button on my case. Should i remove the psu cable and press the reset button on my case for 5 or 10 sec will that work as well?

The reset button on your case has nothing to do with resetting the CMOS. All that does is restart the computer. The actual power button that you turn the unit on with is what you want to press and the only reason you want to do that during this process is to discharge any residual charge that might be remaining in the CMOS that might not allow the settings to reset. It is not strictly essential to the process, but does occasionally make a difference which is why I recommend it.

Reactions: WildCard999
Mar 14, 2019
The reset button on your case has nothing to do with resetting the CMOS. All that does is restart the computer. The actual power button that you turn the unit on with is what you want to press and the only reason you want to do that during this process is to discharge any residual charge that might be remaining in the CMOS that might not allow the settings to reset. It is not strictly essential to the process, but does occasionally make a difference which is why I recommend it.
I did reset all settings to default from BIOS and then enabled XMP. Been running some games for 3 hours now and its looking pretty good. I'll let you know later if something happens.

Mar 14, 2019
Nice. Fingers crossed.
Hi! Just wanted to keep you updated, I've been playing all day today and didn't get any bsod and games were running pretty smooth. Maybe updating the BIOS could've fixed that bsod problem. Also, do you suggest me to install some drivers for my motherboard? Here's my motherboards page https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-rev-10#support-dl-driver , Would you mind if you would take a look? Or should i keep things as they are? Also do you think i should update the GPU drivers, I think windows automatically updated some drivers for my GPU. Thanks!

If everything is good, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd only worry about it if something seems wrong or not quite right. You can never go wrong installing the drivers from your motherboard product page as long as they are for the correct operating system and bit version. If you have Windows 10 64 bit, then make sure you download those drivers, not drivers for Windows 7 64 bit, etc. Probably the BIOS update was what was needed.

Mar 14, 2019
If everything is good, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd only worry about it if something seems wrong or not quite right. You can never go wrong installing the drivers from your motherboard product page as long as they are for the correct operating system and bit version. If you have Windows 10 64 bit, then make sure you download those drivers, not drivers for Windows 7 64 bit, etc. Probably the BIOS update was what was needed.
If I download a driver, do I install it through the setup? I think when I first build the pc I think i installed the wrong drivers for my motherboard and then ran a windows system recovery to set it up to where it was before. Should i reinstall windows and install the drivers so that its fresh or should I keep it like this.