[SOLVED] My CPU is only getting 20 -30 watts when its tdp is 65W.

Sep 5, 2020
Will upgrading my psu from 180W to 650W(or something like that) fix the problem? Or is this normal? If buying a new psu does make it use 65W, will that effectively double the performance i get out of it.

Solution
My CPU consumes 20-30W at max load, i.e when I'm playing a game.
Games are not max load, in fact they are amongst the lowest workloads.
Try Prime95 with AVX and Small FFTs, it's a free program.

Changing the 180W PSU is not a bad idea either way because working at the limit is not power efficient, you want a PSU that will work in the efficiency sweet spot.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. We need actual details of this system.
  2. Thats not the way it works. 65watts is the max wattage that CPU can consume. It does not do that ALL the time. Increasing the PSU to "whatever" watts does not make it consume any more than it needs.

What are some specs of CPU. mainboard, or, possibly system (suspecting some sort of pre-built if containing only a 180 watt PSU) is being discussed?

If looking at HWMonitor, which calculate roughly instantaneous power readings based on core voltage, clock speed, usage, naturally wattage varies tremendously with clock speed and CPU/app loading levels. (Might be quite normal to show a 10-20W load at one moment, but, upon launching a strenuous appication, instantly spike up to near 60-65W...)

Sep 5, 2020
What are some specs of CPU. mainboard, or, possibly system (suspecting some sort of pre-built if containing only a 180 watt PSU) is being discussed?

If looking at HWMonitor, which calculate roughly instantaneous power readings based on core voltage, clock speed, usage, naturally wattage varies tremendously with clock speed and CPU/app loading levels. (Might be quite normal to show a 10-20W load at one moment, but, upon launching a strenuous appication, instantly spike up to near 60-65W...)
My system is prebuilt, and I instantly wanted to upgrade my power supply as soon as I saw the wattage. My CPU consumes 20-30W at max load, i.e when I'm playing a game. When idle its sits anywhere from 5 - 15 W. I was just wondering if the fact that my PSU is only 180W means that the cpu isn't getting enough wattage as the rest of the components are taking it all up.

My GPU is the GTX 1050 and if 16 GB of ddr4 ram at 3200mhz (although it only runs at 2666mhz).

This is my exact prebuilt (except the ram which I upgraded) https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-580-015na-Desktop-i5-7400/dp/B07KX3SXNC

Sep 5, 2020
  1. We need actual details of this system.
  2. Thats not the way it works. 65watts is the max wattage that CPU can consume. It does not do that ALL the time. Increasing the PSU to "whatever" watts does not make it consume any more than it needs.

My GPU is the GTX 1050 and if 16 GB of ddr4 ram at 3200mhz (although it only runs at 2666mhz).

This is my exact prebuilt (except the ram which I upgraded) https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-580-015na-Desktop-i5-7400/dp/B07KX3SXNC

It consumes 20-30W under max load and about 5-15W when idle

My CPU consumes 20-30W at max load, i.e when I'm playing a game.
Games are not max load, in fact they are amongst the lowest workloads.
Try Prime95 with AVX and Small FFTs, it's a free program.

Changing the 180W PSU is not a bad idea either way because working at the limit is not power efficient, you want a PSU that will work in the efficiency sweet spot.

Solution

gigantusmagnus

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
TDP (Thermal Design Point) is the maximum number of heat that the CPU generates during its loads or the maximum heat a cooler can manages
- a CPU with TDP of 65W means that at its full load, the CPU generates 65W of heat.
- a Cooler with TDP of 65W means that the cooler can only cools heat up to 65W

TDP doesn't mean the power required to powers up a CPU