Question My CPU is overheating rapidly

Jan 19, 2020
So yesterday my pc was fine but the next time i started my pc and for some reason it was Super slow and my fans were really loud so i restarted the pc and checked the Bios. My cpu temp was 80c degree and i had just started it.. So i waited for it to cooldown and tried again. It went from 26 to 70 degrees in like 2min. I changed thermal paste. Reseted the bios to default. But nothing worked. I noticed that my crossair tubes 1was very hot while the other was cool. Idk if that is how they are supposed to be. Idk the exact name of my coolers other than Corsair. It was complitely fine yesterday and today it's Broken idk what to do..

The 1 hot tube is a pretty good indication the pump is not working or pump failure with the sudden change.

Check the power connection to the pump.

If still the same and can't feel or hear anything from a screw driver to your ear and to the pump head then it looks like pump failure.
Corsair water coolers have a 5 yr warranty and should contact customer support for rma if you haven't had it over that period or bought it used.

Reactions: Eldersan and dorsai
Jan 19, 2020
It sounds like your cooling system is failing...likely either the pump is bad or something is blocked in the radiator. If you still have the stock cpu cooler you should swap it until you get the AIO cooler replaced. If you don't have a spare cooler then I would stop using the system until you get a replacement.
Ty i will try to get a new one tomorrow i Will update how that goes 👍

InvalidError

Titan
I noticed that my crossair tubes 1was very hot while the other was cool. Idk if that is how they are supposed to be.
A low-flow liquid cooler pumps about 0.5GPM, which is ~1.9L/min or 30mL/s. Water can absorb 4J/C of heat. To raise the liquid temperature by 1C between the cold and hot side, you'd need ~120W going into the CPU. In other words, unless you are dealing with insane TDP, hot and cold side of a properly working liquid cooler should be about the same temperature.

If you have a large temperature difference between hot and cold, the pump is likely not working. Natural convection of warm liquid is the only thing moving fluid along.

Jan 19, 2020
Now i kinda have a diffrent problem. I changed the cpu cooler into a older intel cpu cooler. The fan are spinning and everything seems to be in place but when i start the pc it says cpu fan error. And when i check the bios it doesn't say how fast the cpu fan are spinning and i stil have the same problem cpu heat keeps increasing rapidly.

Dumb question, and your board will probably squawk at you. But try plugging the cpu fan into one of the normal fan headers if you are able. Just wanting to see if the temp goes down. No doubt the board is going to yell at you about the cpu fan not spinning. But if it begins working with the stock intel cooler that way, maybe something is wrong with the cpu fan header.

Jan 19, 2020
Dumb question, and your board will probably squawk at you. But try plugging the cpu fan into one of the normal fan headers if you are able. Just wanting to see if the temp goes down. No doubt the board is going to yell at you about the cpu fan not spinning. But if it begins working with the stock intel cooler that way, maybe something is wrong with the cpu fan header.
Thx alot it actually helped! No fan error anymore. And it went from 26 to 36 pretty fast but stayed stable at 36 a while in Bios. Now i will try and use the pc and check update you guys thx alot for your help! 😁

Ideally you want it plugged into the cpu fan header. You might consult your manual that you were previously plugged into the proper fan header. If so, perhaps there's something wrong with the cpu fan header. You might be able to disable warnings about the cpu fan header, but if your board has an alarm function, which a lot do, it would be a good idea to set it to give you an alarm by beeps or something in case your cpu goes above a certain temperature so that you would at least have advance warning that your system was starting to overheat. Or if it has a function to turn the system off at a certain temp, that would be a better idea. You just don't want to fry your cpu.