[SOLVED] My cpu is overheating

Aug 24, 2020
My CPU stated to overheat when I first booted it. It was idling a around 70C. I think what happened was when I was installing my cooler it was too loose and I think some thermal paste came out. Am I correct?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: stock
Motherboard: B550 Aorus Pro
Graphics Card: Zotac RTX 2060 super mini
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 80+ 600w
Case: Q300l
RAM: Sniper X DDR4-3600
SDD: 970 Evo 1 tb

Last edited:
Solution
My CPU stated to overheat when I first booted it. It was idling a around 70C. I think what happened was when I was installing my cooler it was too loose and I think some thermal paste came out. Am I correct?

Welcome to Tom's Hardware @lokraj123!
What's your cpu cooler/cpu, one thing people are scared of is screwing the cpu cooler on too tight. Try to buy some thermal paste and screw in the cooler. However screw it in until you can't screw it in anymore. Don't worry about the cpu being damaged. Hope this helps
Hello and welcome to the forum,

Please post your Full system specs (brand and model of every component) including PSU and Case.

Its really hard to help when we don't know what hardware you have.

Also Im guessing this is a new system that you put togheter, right?

What's your cpu cooler/cpu, one thing people are scared of is screwing the cpu cooler on too tight. Try to buy some thermal paste and screw in the cooler. However screw it in until you can't screw it in anymore. Don't worry about the cpu being damaged. Hope this helps

Solution
Aug 24, 2020
I am reliving my past because even I experienced a similar issue where I did not screw the cooler unit tight during my PC build and over time, I lost a lot of performance due to overheating. I tried out a lot and eventually found that the fitment was the issue. I would suggest you to screw it tight until you cannot screw anymore. A new thermal paste could also do wonders for sure. You are absolutely right about it and you can maintain an optimum operating temperature moving forward without a doubt. Great to voice my experience, Cheers!

Reactions: lokraj123
Aug 24, 2020
Hello and welcome to the forum,

Please post your Full system specs (brand and model of every component) including PSU and Case.

Its really hard to help when we don't know what hardware you have.

Also Im guessing this is a new system that you put togheter, right?
Yes this is a new system
CPU: R5 3600
Cooler:Stock

Aug 24, 2020
I am reliving my past because even I experienced a similar issue where I did not screw the cooler unit tight during my PC build and over time, I lost a lot of performance due to overheating. I tried out a lot and eventually found that the fitment was the issue. I would suggest you to screw it tight until you cannot screw anymore. A new thermal paste could also do wonders for sure. You are absolutely right about it and you can maintain an optimum operating temperature moving forward without a doubt. Great to voice my experience, Cheers!
Thanks for the reply

Aug 24, 2020
Thanks for your reply!