Question My CPU Is Too Advanced For My Motherboard?

incmachine

Commendable
Oct 14, 2021
I have a AMD Athlon X4 950 3.5GHz Socket AM4 Processor and a Gigabyte a320m-s2h motherboard

From what I have read, these two products are compatible with each other. But after installation, I am seeing that nothing boots. All of the fans turn on (including the CPU fan) but the PC system itself does not seem to be booting.

In PCPartPicker, I see a message that says:

"The Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Athlon X4 950 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor with BIOS version F1~F53 (but except F40/F41). If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU."

To fix this, do I need to buy another CPU?
What is the cheapest CPU that would work?

k6_user

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
If BIOS versions F1~F53 support that CPU, how can you have a version older than F1? I would tend to look for other solutions. Did you re-seat the CPU? Try one stick of RAM at a time? Move it to different slots? Do you have another PSU to try? Try re-seating the video card? etc.
Another thought: due to limited size of BIOS chips, motherboard makers have had to remove support for older CPUs from the BIOS to make room for later model CPUs. Try contacting Gigabyte to verify that your BIOS version does in fact support your CPU.
In fact, I just checked your mobo BIOS section on Gigabytes web site. Look at the red warning for BIOS version F40. Looks like they removed support from the BIOS for Athlon X4 chips, if I read it correctly. If your BIOS version is F40 or later, that may be the problem. In some cases you cannot flash the BIOS back to an earlier version, so you may have to return your mobo, or return the CPU for a later model that the BIOS will support. Good Luck

Last edited:
I have a AMD Athlon X4 950 3.5GHz Socket AM4 Processor and a Gigabyte a320m-s2h motherboard

From what I have read, these two products are compatible with each other. But after installation, I am seeing that nothing boots. All of the fans turn on (including the CPU fan) but the PC system itself does not seem to be booting.

In PCPartPicker, I see a message that says:

"The Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Athlon X4 950 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor with BIOS version F1~F53 (but except F40/F41). If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU."

To fix this, do I need to buy another CPU?
What is the cheapest CPU that would work?
I don't see any GPU listed, Athlon doesn't have IGPU. Next cheapest CPU with graphics is R3 2200g

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Yeah, and for £120+ CPU like 2200g, seems a pain just to upgrade/downgrade bios for your old one.

But if you're dead set on it, just get one that's returnable, or ask around if someone you know has CPU and can do bios for you?

k6_user

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
I see that they removed support for the Athlon X4 in bios ver F40 and then put it back into ver F42, them removed it again in ver T54e.
I also see posts on the Internet that claims Q-Flash does not require a CPU, and your mobo does support Q-Flash.
So, if the above is true, try this:
  • Download bios F32 and put it on a thumb drive formatted for Fat32
  • Use Q-Flash to apply it to your mobo (to improve USB & Q-Flash compatibility)
-Repeat the above 2 steps using bios ver F53
This will give you the latest bios that supports your CPU.
If you cannot get Q-Flash to work w/o a CPU, then you'll have to use a CPU above Bristol Ridge in order to boot up and update the bios. Or try contacting Gigabyte tech support to see if you can send them the mobo and have them install a bios ver that supports your CPU. Good Luck

Just for kicks, be sure to try the suggestions in my first post (including clearing CMOS) before spending any more money

Last edited:

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
That cpu should work with the 320 chipset. I have a machine with that same board and a ryzen 3 3200g so I can't see how a athlon Is too advanced for it? I also see bundles for sale with that board and your cpu.

USAFRet

Titan
That cpu should work with the 320 chipset. I have a machine with that same board and a ryzen 3 3200g so I can't see how a athlon Is too advanced for it? I also see bundles for sale with that board and your cpu.
It depends on the specific BIOS version. Some versions are NOT compatible.

As the thing seems to not want to boot up, there is an issue.
Either the wrong BIOS, or some other hardware issue.

Jan 9, 2022
I purchased this from Amazon. I think it's the same combination as mentioned by the OP. I didn't notice at the time a note to the effect that a dedicated graphics card was required for this combination.

As with the OP, the installed board did not POST, but I was able to put in a graphics card from another system of mine, and the machine is now able to go through the POST. For the record I have BIOS F52.

So it looks as though an add-in graphics card is required to use the board with this particular CPU.

Reactions: incmachine

USAFRet

Titan
I purchased this from Amazon. I think it's the same combination as mentioned by the OP. I didn't notice at the time a note to the effect that a dedicated graphics card was required for this combination.

As with the OP, the installed board did not POST, but I was able to put in a graphics card from another system of mine, and the machine is now able to go through the POST. For the record I have BIOS F52.

So it looks as though an add-in graphics card is required to use the board with this particular CPU.
Yes, that CPU has no onboard graphics.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/7th-gen-amd-athlon-x4-950