[SOLVED] My CPU only shows 1 Core 2 threads

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Hi! I bought a computer with an i3 3220 which is supposed to be a two core, fourth thread CPU. I have already tried to go into msconfig and change it, to no avail. My motherboard is a Foxconn 2ABF and from what I cant tell has no bios. Would it fix itself if I buy a new CPU or would the M/b still limit it? Is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Foxconn 2ABF and from what I cant tell has no bios.

The board will have a BIOS, it has to have a BIOS.

Appears that board came out of an HP system.

First of all, I'd look to clear the CMOS. If you cannot access the BIOS (likely F10 for an HP OEM system), then you could remove the CMOS battery for 10mins. Looks like it's located to the top-right of the motherboard.

Some (most?) BIOS have an option to disable cores. Whether you have the option on that board and exactly where you'd find it in the BIOS, I'm not sure - and it may even vary by BIOS version, but it would make sense that somehow a core has been disabled.

Clearing the CMOS or "loading optimized defaults" in the BIOS should achieve the result without having to...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Well, clearing the CMOS isn't going to do any harm.... I can't think of any other options if you don't want to look at a Linux boot USB.

HOWEVER, that summary says the BIOS revision is 8.17 and I can find no record of that BIOS anywhere.
Initially I suspected it might've been a modded BIOS, which would explain the weirdness...
Then I found the naming scheme & the available BIOS versions are 8.12, 8.14 and 8.19, so 8.17 likely existed at some point.
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pro-3500-microtower-pc/5270849

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Well, clearing the CMOS isn't going to do any harm.... I can't think of any other options if you don't want to look at a Linux boot USB.

HOWEVER, that summary says the BIOS revision is 8.17 and I can find no record of that BIOS anywhere.
I don't doubt it existed at some point, but the only available BIOS versions are 8.12, 8.14 and 8.19
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pro-3500-microtower-pc/5270849
Ok. Do you recommend updating the BIOS?

Oct 20, 2020
Hi! I bought a computer with an i3 3220 which is supposed to be a two core, fourth thread CPU. I have already tried to go into msconfig and change it, to no avail. My motherboard is a Foxconn 2ABF and from what I cant tell has no bios. Would it fix itself if I buy a new CPU or would the M/b still limit it? Is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance!
Your CPU (DOES NOT) have more cores. And if you buy an i 5 or i 7 any gen. yes it would fix it cause one of these has 4 cores and the other an 8 core.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ok. Do you recommend updating the BIOS?

I'd only ever recommend a BIOS update to fix a problem. If it's not broke, no need to fix it.
If clearing the CMOS doesn't fix it, it's an option. Should be unnecessary, cores don't just go missing.... but if all else fails...

Your CPU (DOES NOT) have more cores.

Than detected in software, the CPU DOES have more cores.... Well, one.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
I'd only ever recommend a BIOS update to fix a problem. If it's not broke, no need to fix it.
If clearing the CMOS doesn't fix it, it's an option. Should be unnecessary, cores don't just go missing.... but if all else

Putting the battery in now. I’ll post when it’s booted up.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Hey I found some sort of BIOS. What am I looking for?

Initially I suspected it might've been a modded BIOS, which would explain the weirdness...
Then I found the naming scheme & the available BIOS versions are 8.12, 8.14 and 8.19, so 8.17 likely existed at some point.
If clearing the CMOS doesn't fix it, it's an option. Should be unnecessary, cores don't just go missing.... but if all else fails...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Question. Would changing out the CPU still cause this or...?

Impossible to say. If the defect sits with the CPU, then most likely... if the issue is the motherboard, then likely not.

Hey I found some sort of BIOS. What am I looking for?

Clearing the CMOS would've achieved what I was suspecting... so if you're still seeing 1/2 rather than 2/4, there's not likely to be anything within the BIOS that'll 'fix' it, but I'm not familiar with that specific BIOS.

If there was anything, I'd assume it would be something along the lines of "Active Core" based on other AMI BIOS', but for an OEM intended FoxConn board, it could be anything.... Should be relatively obvious if there is anything though.

At this stage, you could explore updating the BIOS.... &/or, consider reseating the CPU and checking the socket for bent pins.

You'd need thermal paste to reinstall the cooler optimally, you could get by temporarily just reusing whats on there if you really had to.... but I'd highly recommend picking up some thermal paste.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Impossible to say. If the defect sits with the CPU, then most likely... if the issue is the motherboard, then likely not.

Clearing the CMOS would've achieved what I was suspecting... so if you're still seeing 1/2 rather than 2/4, there's not likely to be anything within the BIOS that'll 'fix' it, but I'm not familiar with that specific BIOS.

If there was anything, I'd assume it would be something along the lines of "Active Core" based on other AMI BIOS', but for an OEM intended FoxConn board, it could be anything.... Should be relatively obvious if there is anything though.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020

At this stage, you could explore updating the BIOS.... &/or, consider reseating the CPU and checking the socket for bent pins.

You'd need thermal paste to reinstall the cooler optimally, you could get by temporarily just reusing whats on there if you really had to.... but I'd highly recommend picking up some thermal paste.
May I ask you a question? Would you recommend that I get an i7 3770k as it is the best I can get for this M/B?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thank you to everyone who helped me. I had to clear the CMOS which allowed me to get into the bios which allowed me to set everything to default which fixed it. You guys are the best!

Glad you got it figured out,

May I ask you a question? Would you recommend that I get an i7 3770k as it is the best I can get for this M/B?

Depends on the price really. I wouldn't look to invest much into such a dated platform.
Search for an i7-2600, 2600K, 3770 or 3770K.
If you can find any of those for cheap enough, then it would be a very nice upgrade, it's all relative to cost though.

Personally, I wouldn't look to spend more than ~$50 CAD / $35-$40 USD for any of those chips in 2020.... and even then, that pricepoint my be more than others would pay.

It might be worth looking for an old office tower on ebay with one of those CPUs. Get it, swap CPUs (maybe RAM, depending on config) and resell the tower, now with an i3 and have a pretty minimal net spend.
All depends on luck & availability though... Could be easier said than done.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Glad you got it figured out,

Depends on the price really. I wouldn't look to invest much into such a dated platform.
Search for an i7-2600, 2600K, 3770 or 3770K.
If you can find any of those for cheap enough, then it would be a very nice upgrade, it's all relative to cost though.

Personally, I wouldn't look to spend more than ~$50 CAD / $35-$40 USD for any of those chips in 2020.... and even then, that pricepoint my be more than others would pay.

It might be worth looking for an old office tower on ebay with one of those CPUs. Get it, swap CPUs (maybe RAM, depending on config) and resell the tower, now with an i3 and have a pretty minimal net spend.
All depends on luck & availability though... Could be easier said than done.
Ok I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks again!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ok I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks again!

To be clear, I'm not recommend buying this system, just an idea of what to look for.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elite-8...sh=item3432d00aa1:g:Wv4AAOSwII9fc81G&LH_BIN=1

Something like that, switch the i7 out with your i3, and you should be able to flip the i3 system for an easy $50-$70 all day long (assuming you live somewhere with a half-decent population or head to eBay etc).

Gives you a bit of an idea of what can be done. Of course, if you could find a 2600/k/3770/k for somewhere around $50 USD, you might feel you just want to jump on it.... Only you can decide what it's 'worth' to you - but it will be a nice step up over the i3 paired with the 470

Reactions: Bavardgaming
Jul 7, 2014
window 10 task manager is showing 2 core when i know my system has 4 cores, so first of all check in device manager(processor section, that will show the right number of cores) or use cpu z software
you should your bios settings, different pc have different keys to open bios settings, even when it's not showing any option at start try F1 F2 F10 or Delete and check if multicore is off?
try to take out the battery cell on the motherboard.
try updating your bios, there are bios updates even for very old core2due motherboards.